• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Consciously "Evil" Pokemon?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Pokemon are far more intelligent than animals and know the difference between right and wrong.
    Pokemon are like animals, just a bit more intelligent. But their instincts, without trainers, is exactly like animals.

Mischievous Pokemon, I believe there is. But Pokemon that are evil by nature? That's something I can't say I'm quite sure. Pokemon are intelligent enough to survive on their own in the wild, they also perhaps has enough intelligence to make their own decisions. Perhaps Pokemon that wants revenge against humans. I still can't quite say for sure, as I'm no Pokemon expert.

Years
    Anyone remember in "Island of the Giant Pokemon" where Ekans and Koffing stated that no Pokemon was 'evil' and they just follow the command of their evil trainers. Meowth said he was the exception though.

Did you read my earlier post on that? That's basically what I said too.

"We're all bad guys. We don't need masters to go out and do bad things."

Pokemon are like animals, just a bit more intelligent. But their instincts, without trainers, is exactly like animals.

Mischievous Pokemon, I believe there is. But Pokemon that are evil by nature? That's something I can't say I'm quite sure. Pokemon are intelligent enough to survive on their own in the wild, they also perhaps has enough intelligence to make their own decisions. Perhaps Pokemon that wants revenge against humans. I still can't quite say for sure, as I'm no Pokemon expert.

Pokemon kidnap humans who they want revenge against like that Swampert in one episode. You don't see animals kidnapping humans or indeed other animals. Also Pokemon can understand human speech as well as other pokemon.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Pokemon kidnap humans who they want revenge against like that Swampert in one episode. You don't see animals kidnapping humans or indeed other animals. Also Pokemon can understand human speech as well as other pokemon.
    I said Pokemon are like animals but they are more intelligent. I was pertaining to their instincts being the same, not intelligence.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    The only evil Pokemon I think of is Litwick and its evos. Look at the episode ;_;. They're so cruel!

Simon Alexander

Orlesian
    Years
    Depends on how you view evilness and how you view pokemon, honestly.

There have been pokemon in-game and in-anime that have done some pretty evil things. Ghost pokemon tend to bother humans and, in recent games, suck out souls and other creepy things, though since it's in the Dex, that could just be folklore. Some pokemon moves seem rather unnecessarily violent, though, like Wring Out >>

And in the anime, there was Mewtwo who wanted to trap trainers on his island and use them to make his own clones, then had all of them fight each other beyond exhaustion. That's pretty "evil" but he also had legit reasons behind his actions and eventually redeemed himself in the end. Unown seem pretty malicious, in both the movie and in the actual show. Legendaries in general tend to be destructive and violent towards each other, which can throw off the balance of the world.

I don't think there are "evil" pokemon, but there can be pokemon with malicious intent, much like humans. And of course, humans can and do influence their pokemon. I believe in an issue of PokeSpe, Red and Blue's pokemon got switched and when they were returned to their original trainers, their behavior had changed from being with different trainers.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Well since in Pokemon, the anime especially, they like to portray Pokemon as sentient and intelligent beings, then it would be entirely possible for any Pokemon to be "evil". I use evil in quotes because I don't believe in the concepts of good and evil.

However, if you view them in a more animistic sense, then Pokemon could not possibly know the difference between what is "right" and what is "wrong". In that case, an "evil" Pokemon would depend on if the trainer was "evil".

Yet, even if Pokemon are sentient and intelligent, they still must follow wills of their trainers, no matter what. Even though in the anime, it doesn't always work like that. Yet other times, Koffing and Ekans, who apparently weren't "evil" yet had to do as commanded because of their trainers. Pokemon is fun like that, it has no set rules and changes the few abstracts it has as it goes along.

So really, it all depends how you interpret Pokemon.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    No, it was Ekans and Koffing who said that when Meowth said "We're all bad guys, we don't need trainers to tell us to do bad things,".

The things Meowth says in Island of the Giant Pokemon proves he is consciously bad and is shocked when Ekans and Koffing tell him the supposed truth.

"It can't be. My master's not around and I always act like a rat".

Ah yes, you've refreshed my memory. I stand corrected!

Back