• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Consoles, or computers?

Yukari

Do you prefer playing video games on consoles, or on computers?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Consoles. I prefer investing money to games rather than parts.

And PC gaming with ever presenting Steam sales may eventually die because developers won't want to release something that won't sale for full price.

Yukari

Consoles. I prefer investing money to games rather than parts.

And PC gaming with ever presenting Steam sales may eventually die because developers won't want to release something that won't sale for full price.
    Parts really aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. Just about 600, maybe 700 dollars and you have yourself a gaming PC that surpasses most consoles. No need to invest in any new parts. In fact many gaming computers out there now vastly surpass the Xbox 1 and Playstation 4.

Also PC gaming will never Die out because "Developers won't want to release something that won't sale for full price." Let me give you a little lesson in economics. When a distributor like steam has competition with other distributors like GOG and Origin, Prices go down. That's one reason that there are so many steam sales. They make a lot of money off those you know. With consoles there no competition so you pay a lot more. In fact with a gaming computer you get a lot of games for a lot less then with a console. You're just paying more up front for the computer or parts.

All that said, I prefer playing games on the PC. Aside from the fact that I feel more comfortable with a Keyboard and mouse there are a lot of advantages to playing games on the Computer. You pay a lot less in the long run because of steam sales and economics. Why pay $20 for Skyrim when I can pay $5
    if I buy it off a steam sale? And if a game feels more comfortable with a remote I can always play the game with an Xbox controller. There are a lot of advantages to PC gaming. And that's why I prefer it.

Last edited:

TY

I have a laptop that runs a high demanding game such as StarCraft II, for only 700 euros... and it runs it on medium settings... with 120 fps... really a good gaming PC isn't that expensive if you buy the right parts for it, to make the longevity of the PC longer than you actually want it to be. Cause graphics will always "improve" and they will require beefier systems. Though a console is fun to play on aswell, I simply prefer the PC gaming area cause RTS is superior on the PC, on console it is utter garbage.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    [snip]
    All that said, I prefer playing games on the PC. Aside from the fact that I feel more comfortable with a Keyboard and mouse there are a lot of advantages to playing games on the Computer. You pay a lot less in the long run because of steam sales and economics. Why pay $20 for Skyrim when I can pay $5 if I buy it off a steam sale? And if a game feels more comfortable with a remote I can always play the game with an Xbox controller. There are a lot of advantages to PC gaming. And that's why I prefer it.

Pretty much all of this.

• You have choices. Mouse and keyboard or 360 controller? TV or monitor? Couch or desk? To mod it or not to mod it. You can usually tweak the settings a lot more. Rebind the keys to be more comfortable, and not just presets. So on and so forth.
    • Mouse and keyboard is far better for FPS and RTS games.
    • The games are so much cheaper. I paid $3 for Fallout NV Ultimate Edition. Three dollars.
    • You have access to a lot more games with just one device. Indie titles are far easier to get out on PC than a console.
    • Mods. So many mods. Mods that improve performance or graphics, make the game last a little longer, etc. etc.
    • Backward compatibility is less often an issue for PC than consoles. There are some games that are finicky, yes. But more often than not, we can get older titles and newer ones alike to all run on the same system. And not in the sense that you have to buy the new fancy HD release to get it to run on your newer rig. :P
    • Oh, and the console commands get you out of a lot of stupid, and otherwise game-breaking, bugs. Like.. Bethesda games. Just.. the whole game.

That said, I'm not 100% behind PC 'master race', though only for one reason: You can't compete with Nintendo's platformers. You just can't.
    But I have no intentions of buying any of the others anymore. Only Nintendo consoles. They're the only exclusives that really interest me.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    When it comes to consoles or computers, I actually like both. Sometimes when a game is comes out on both console and computer, I don't mind buying buying the game for both of them. Games I have gotten for both console and computer before are Half Life 2, Poker Night 2, and the KotOR games.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
    Both. On the one hand, gaming PCs are outright better than consoles, and they can be used for things other than games. But consoles are nice too; they're easy to set up, you don't have to keep throwing money at them, and if you don't mind having slightly worse graphics, you can spend 300-400 dollars once and have several years' worth of games that are guaranteed to work.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
    Depends on the game. Any sort of strategy/expansion type game, or a game that needs a lot of menu management and precise clicking/aiming (i.e., Minecraft) I prefer to play on PC. However, action games, FPS games, and adventure games (i.e., Assassin's Creed, CoD, Zelda) I prefer to play on console.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Without going all Phil Fish, I'll just say that I prefer console gaming. I don't even know why, I guess it's just what a grew up with, but I just love sitting on a couch to play games on a console, or lying on my bed playing a portable. Something about sitting at on my computer chair at my desk just doesn't allow for the same level of immersion. That said, I play PC games nearly as much as I do console given how it's cheaper and easier in many ways. But I could never imagine playing a Zelda game for example on a PC. It just wouldn't feel right.

Also, as Welsknight mentioned, there are some games more suited to PC, such as RTS and Simulation/Management games.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I prefer console gaming. I find console gaming easier to operate than PC gaming and to my knowledge a lot of the games I like to play isn't on the PC. I also don't feel the need to dish out $1000 for a gaming computer, I already spend enough for my current laptop which I use for music production, it's just the graphics card isn't good enough for gaming. So please, don't convince me that I can get a gaming PC for cheaper. I'm fully aware, I'm just not interested. So I'll just stick with console games, and my friends play console games so that's another reason.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Consoles vs computers in a nutshell. I prefer consoles though. Computers are more for internet browsing and music.

Consoles, or computers?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't even have a gaming computer or laptop, but I'd say I prefer computer gaming too. Sgt. Dustmop and Orpheus already pointed out most of the reasons why I like it more - it's not just the ridiculous sales (though that is a huge part of it - I mean I have 100+ games in my Steam library and that would have cost me a fortune if they were console games) but the flexibility and variability that mods can offer, as well as the availability of indie games also really make me enjoy PC gaming more.

And it's just something I've gotten used to. Like in general I think my aim is better with mouse and keyboard.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I prefer PCs. More powerful, longer lasting, cheaper in the long-term, mods and sales.

Honestly, the only reason why I can see consoles as being any competition is for exclusives, which there are plenty of for PCs. Besides, pretty much any experience you have with a console (If you prefer a controller, or couch co-op games) can be emulated by a good PC.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    A computer game is a computer-controlled game where players interact with objects displayed on a screen for the sake of entertainment.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I prefer PCs, for a lot of the reasons that Sgt. Dustmop said. There's just a lot more options with a PC and a wider selection of games, along with real MMO's (Like ArcheAge and the upcoming Star Citizen, not that Destiny ********).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Also PC gaming will never Die out because "Developers won't want to release something that won't sale for full price." Let me give you a little lesson in economics. When a distributor like steam has competition with other distributors like GOG and Origin, Prices go down. That's one reason that there are so many steam sales. They make a lot of money off those you know.
    So you just confirmed my point.
    You need to look at it from developer's point of view, not the one offering the games.
    Steam/GOG/Origin as offerers (?) of developed games obviously get enough money from sales because they don't develop games. The finances allocated to service are minimum of what developers need to allocate for developing game.
    And after they develop it, they immediately need to sell it underpriced? Not sure if developers would love that.
    Of course, fans are happy and I agree that this is of the most important pros of PC gaming.
    I'm just saying it's double edged sword.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Steam/GOG/Origin as offerers (?) of developed games obviously get enough money from sales because they don't develop games.

Just to clear that up for you, Origin is EA in the same sense that Steam is Valve. :)

Unlike Steam, Origin only offers EA titles (and Popcap? Is that an EA thing?), and they no longer distribute their newer titles on Steam. For example, you can find Dead Space 1 and 2 on both Steam and Origin, but 3 is only on Origin.

And after they develop it, they immediately need to sell it underpriced? Not sure if developers would love that.
    And the devs are the ones that allow for the sales in the first place. They decide when to put them on sale and they set the prices -- it's part of the agreement. Nobody forces their hand.
    Do I need to mention that the link is a 'spoiler' on the Steam Halloween sale date and how it's happening? Quick, tag your entire wishlist as 'Halloween themed' games.

And you could also argue that console gaming has its darker side for devs, too. They don't profit off of used games. I don't think they get the money when I buy a cheap game from a pawn shop or a garage sale, as I often prefer, lol. At least they see something of a PC sale price.
    Either way, you still need people willing to pay full release price on both fields -- and there's plenty that do so the rest of us can be cheap.

Last edited:
    Back