• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contests...

okjoek

Hoenn champ
Years
  • I just think contests steal the action from the show now...

In hoenn contests were tolerable to me for some reason... May didnt seem to be obsesed with them like dawn is and I guess the combinations were better and more of the contest was battle than showing off combos.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Now with Dawns obsession with contests it just doesnt make here a very great charicter because every time you see her shes making a combo move, usualy right off the bat when the show starts too which steals room where she could have more personality.

Maybe its the pokemon Dawn uses... the ice shandalier (spelling?) move didnt impress me very much with pachirisu, or mamoswine, piplup and buneary are cute though =)

Maybe its Dawn? Her voice can just be so high pitch annoying and she yells it everytime something goes wrong. Mays (and Mistys) voices were much nicer.

The contest rivals used to be cooler too.

Drew and Harley (I think thats his name) were better than whats her face with the glameow, even though glameow is a really good pokemon.

In conclusion, I think contests Take up much more screen time than they should, be it practicing or the contests themselves.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Wait a minute, I thought you were saying contests steal the show but now I think your saying AG contests are better than the D/P ones? If the second one is correct than I agree with you. I prefered the AG contests, they had far better rivals and May was a fun character. Now I love Dawn's character and story arc was intresting, but her rivals are just not intresting, Kenny was a stalking jerk, Zoey added no tension between her and Dawn. Nando appeared ever so often, Kenny didn't either for being a stalker. Than we had that girl who came in way too late, forgot her name sorry, she was a good rival for Dawn but as said before she just came too late. Than Dawn used Pipulp so much, it was getting annoying, we hardly saw any of her other Pokemon and I liked her Buneary. Some times I wish Ash would have gotten the Buneary instead, it'd have been used more.

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I agree. Contests are waste of time. I would rather want to see some good fillers than contests. And agree that AG contests were acceptable. It wasn't cute and sweet like is now. It was just normal contest. Now we have ugly dresses, tuxedos, everything is shining. Everything is awfully sweet. Dawn catches only sweet pokemon LOL even May's pokemons weren't all sweet.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Yes the second is mostly correct in being a major concept. in comparing how the show is being used rather than "stolen" which isnt the word I would be using because it never really stole the show in AG.

Also, Your right on one thing i forgot to bring up, mays pokemon werent all cute and sweet.

Torchic was cute but then it evolved into a strong combusken then a powerfull blaziken!

beutifly... Well i read in my pokedex that beutifly kills things and sucks their fluids 0_o so theres agressive instinct in there? lol

skitty... well that was her cute pokemon of the group... as where now cute seems to be too dominent.

munchlax- adds much humor to the show in eating anything! including the pokeball that caught it if i remember corectly =D

from looking it up ive learned that she had wartortle venusaur and glacion.

as you can see much more variation in pokemon than just cute.

Last edited:

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
  • i hate the contests!
    i watch the show sometimes and ive seen 2 gym battles and about 750 contests!!!!!
    maybe ash could catch a few more pokemon in sinnoh instead of these rubbish little cutsie pokemon contest where too win you must use pretty moves

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It won't matter, anyways. While it is true that they might end up shocking us by showing contests at the last possible moment, it's going to be very unlikely that Contests are going to be in Black and White, and by proxy, Best Wishes. Heck, the female character is actually a wild kid, very uncontest-like, and the bio for Denko doesn't even mention anything about Contests. Even IF Contests somehow make it into Best Wishes, it's just as likely that only Jessie will participate in them, if she, James, and Meowth of Team Rocket even appear on BW.

I also really don't see why people are even thinking that Ash would even be on BW. Yes, we have concept art for BW that has Ash and JJM on it, but concept art is even less reliable than Trailers, as the concept art often ends up on the cutting room floor. In order for Ash's involvement in BW to be absolutely confirmed, they need to actually show him on promotional materials (trailers, the poster, whatever). So far, he hasn't appeared in ANY of them, and in fact, the concept art is really his only appearance. Why is it that they seem to not even show Ash if they wanted him to appear? Even with the previews for DP, the first time anyone even questioned his appearance, they still showed him in adverts for DP during the late stages of DP. I know if I were the writers and I wanted to make certain that it was confirmed to everyone that Ash will appear, I'd actually HAVE him appear on the trailers.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    i hate the contests!
    i watch the show sometimes and ive seen 2 gym battles and about 750 contests!!!!!
    maybe ash could catch a few more pokemon in sinnoh instead of these rubbish little cutsie pokemon contest where too win you must use pretty moves
    Isn't that a bit too much exaggeration? xD
    I don't really hate contests. Its a nice break from regular battles which take place in almost every (or second) episode. But by the way, contests do involve battles, where pretty moves are a plus point.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Like Weedle said, I doubt we'll have to worry about Contests in Black and White. I think they've pretty much run out of ideas to make Contests more interesting. They were cool in AG, because they were new, however six or years later - they've kinda run out. Their appeal (pun not intended xD) is lacking now, especially since all the DP Contests seem to always be the same thing over and over.

I'd be disappointed if B&W tried to salvage them.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Seems like things were getting a bit stray from the thread's original topic. If you wish to discuss things about the upcoming new season, Beast Wishes, then please do so in the Pokémon Sunday Preview: [Iris, Prof. Arugari, Dento].

Putting things back on track, while I do favor contests, I will agree that Pokémon Contests did seem to acquire more focus than Gyms this time around. I mean we did go about one year without Ash challenging a Gym Leader and that was pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I think the writer's stretched the series too far out in which some episodes were really uncalled for. However, if contests really do not show up in Best Wishes, then I won't mind that Contests had so much focus in the DP Arc. Though, I hope whatever comes next they try to balance it out, challenges, rivals, and all.

joacen

Starter Pokemon: Oshawott
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I think with May, contests were more tolerable because not only was she good at displaying the beauty and technique of her Pokemon, she kind of had a tomboyish side to her, and she engaged frequently in battles. Dawn is definitely more girly, and more than half the time she's training for contests, perfecting different techniques like fire-ice, or chandelier-ice, whatever it was called. She's my least favorite main character (can't wait until the new series, when she leaves), so contests in this series aren't as good.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think May was better in contests because she didn't have Piplup :P

I'm terrified of bugs, so I disliked Beautifly, but it was better than that disgrace to penguins.

To tell the truth, I wanted May to have been secretly going around Sinnoh and appear in the Grand Festival, with Blaziken, Venusaur, Blastoise and Glaceon. Now that would be kickass. Even if Jessie beat her or something

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • ok in general.... Just bring may back for contests or drop contests alltogether. Not going to happen (I dont think) but then again im usualy wrong anyways.

that being said, who knows?May and misty are just better at acting...

And to be honest I'm not verry excited about the new jungle style girl either.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Bringing back a character who was on for 4 years and then gone for almost as long wouldn't work especially since May is a third generation character and it's the fifth generation.

Also just for future reference:
    May: Veronica Taylor
    Misty: Rachael Lillis
    Dawn: Emily Jenness

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • exactly why i doubted it =/

I didnt know misty or dawns voice actors, i think mays played ash originaly actualy XD

Im just allways biased towards 3rd generation for a number of reasons...

It had my first video game (emerald)
    and I loved destiny deoxys movie

so sorry if my judgement seems sour towards 4rd generation onwards.

Back