• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Controlling Eevee's evolution... failed?

Years
  • Wile I was just happily evolving some of my pokemon, I decided to evolve my Eevee into Flareon, it would have been my strongest Flareon and eeveelution thus far. I changed its name into Pyro, pressed evolve and... it evolved into a Vaporeon?! But why??? I did not need one at all, now I'm stuck with two Vaporeons with about the same IV's and the same moves, and while the newer one does have a much higher CP, I wanted Flareon! My other Flareon was only decent.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or heard of this? i am sad

TheKenny

The only real Kenny!
    Years
  • I had the same problem with a lot of eevees. The first three I evolved worked fine, but then the trick did not work anymore.

I wanted a vaporeon but got two jolteon and three flareon. Don't know what I did wrong. I thought the trick doesn't work anymore.

Years
  • I had the same problem with a lot of eevees. The first three I evolved worked fine, but then the trick did not work anymore.

I wanted a vaporeon but got two jolteon and three flareon. Don't know what I did wrong. I thought the trick doesn't work anymore.

As far as I understand, it only works the first time you do the trick. After you use Sparky, Rainer and Pyro once each, it then becomes random regardless of name

It has worked 5 times for me... so that would mean I've just been lucky the last two times? Hmm.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    It works for the first time you use each name but you have to restart the app after naming your eevee and waiting at least a minute so that the name registers with the server

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Only works once per Eeveelution.

Every time after that is random. Doesn't matter if you wait, reset, depend on time of day, powering up with Stardust, etc.

Enough data has been gathered on this since the first day by the theorycrafting and datamining community. I've personally already evolved dozens of Eevees and tried many rumored manipulation methods. It's random.

Years
  • Just here to confirm that VisualJae is correct. It only works once per Eeveelution, and any successes after that are a coincidence.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I've had friends tell me that they have used the Eeveelution name method several times and have not gotten a problem at all. Restarting the app right after evolving your Eevee works 75% of the time if you are wanting to evolve the same Eeveelution again.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • you need to close and restart the apps before evolve next eevee
    This is not true.

The Eevee nicknaming "trick" ONLY guarantees the Eeveelution for the FIRST time you use each name. It's random every time after that. Go evolve 20 more Eevees doing this and let me know if you still have a 100% success rate.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Either waiting quite a while after renaming or restarting the app after renaming (or both) is important to let the server register the name change.

But everyone who evolved eevee multiple times says that the trick works initially and then stops working.

It helps you complete your pokedex and stops working after that. It helps you to get one of each, and not more.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    i think it doesnt work all the time but it gives you a better chance at evolving to one that you want i named mine rainer and it worked and they pyro and it became flareon that game is just random sometimes

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    ive heard/read that it was all random after the first evolution.
    however, my 11 flareons tell me otherwise.... yesterday, i evolved 8 eevees (2 of them hatched from 10l eggs of course) and every single one evolved into flareon.

Back