• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Correct pronounsiation

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    how do you pronounce riolu? he's my favorite (tied with Lucario) pokemon, and i would like to know how to pronounce it. the way ive been call it is Rye-lue. ive heard a bunch of different ways. Ree-ohh-lue, rye-ohh-lue, ect. but yea, so thanks for telling me if you post :)

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Riolu has the same pronunciations for its syllables as Lucario does. Lucario

The pronunciation for Lucario and Riolu would be...

loo - KAH - ree - oh

ree - OH - loo

Pretty much, its the emphasis on the syllable that is different. :x

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I say it Ree-oh-lou(as in the person).
    i just want to bite my tongue whenever i say it another way.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Well, taking into consideration that Japanese is usually only pronounced in a certain fashion and that the Japanese name for Riolu is very similar to it's English equivalent, I tend to pronounce it: Ree-o-luu.
    Then again, I live in the Mid-Western United States and I have been told I put a bit of an accent on certain names, so don't take my word as gold.
    That's my guess at to how it's pronounced at least.

MasterZman

The Shadow...
    Years
    So cute!

riolu is so cute i have 2 of them in D/P and One Lucario.

Well, taking into consideration that Japanese is usually only pronounced in a certain fashion and that the Japanese name for Riolu is very similar to it's English equivalent, I tend to pronounce it: Ree-o-luu.
    Then again, I live in the Mid-Western United States and I have been told I put a bit of an accent on certain names, so don't take my word as gold.
    Wow i had no idea you were here?

Last edited:

LugiaFreak

Years
    Riolu and Lucario

I pronounce it Ree-Oh-Lou, and Lou-Car-Eee-Oh.

Edit: On another note, it's sad how much they butcher the names in the anime. Is Happiny supposed to be pronounced Happ-Eee-Nee? I always thought it was Happ-Ih-Nee...

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    As all said here, ree-oh-loo.
    You can be certain Hebrew isn't any closer to Japanese.

LugiaFreak

Years
    Ree-Oh-Lou

This is the correct way.

Rye - Oh -Lu

Rye as in rye bread.
    Oh as in "that guy is a girl" "OH!"
    And Lu as in rhyming with poo.
    How do you know? Isn't it pronounced the same way it's spelled?

Riolu = Ree-Oh-Lou

Ree as in rhyming with tree.
    Oh as in "Oh My God!"
    Lou as in rhyming with goo.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    I pronounce it Ree-Oh-Lou, and Lou-Car-Eee-Oh.

Edit: On another note, it's sad how much they butcher the names in the anime. Is Happiny supposed to be pronounced Happ-Eee-Nee? I always thought it was Happ-Ih-Nee...

I thought it was Happ-Eee_Nee so it sounds like Happy. Because it's a playful happy Pokemon, and it's end evolution Blissey is a Happiness Pokemon.

Back