• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Critical Capture

Have you had a critical capture yet?

• Yes

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 46.9%

• Total voters

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
  • Just happened to me with a Pawniard on route 11. Battled it all the way into the red and then Crit Catch it. Happy and Sad :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    Has anyone had this happen to them yet? For those that may not know, critical capture is a once in a while thing where when trying to capture, the pokeball acts like a master ball and catches the pokemon without fail. I haven't personally had this happen to me, sadly. I wanted to see it in action.
    actually it can fail to capture

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Yes, I have had it happen twice to me. The first time it confused me because I had no clue what happened 0_o

And yes, the critical capture can fail. It's just a very, very low chance from what I understand...

masterfun101

Bow down, noobs.
    Years
  • I got many of these, and it is one of my favorite new features. Pokemon is generally an easy game (besides competitive battling) but catching legendaries is extremely difficult and I think the game gives you a critical capture if you are almost out of Pokeballs when catching a legendary.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I have still not had ONE Critical Capture, and I've played through Black once and White once. looking forward to it, though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I asked my friend if he got any of these the other day, and he claimed that they always existed, and there was a 1/255 chance. It had to do with the capture rate and you getting a 0 or something according to him.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
  • I have decided to catch every possible Pokemon in every area before allowing myself to move to the next, yet I still have not gotten that magical metal click.
    If they are as common as critical hits, why haven't I gotten one by now T_T

Prince_McCovey_Pika

Prince of Panada
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    i actually caught a lotad this way! :) made me happy too because it was a lotad that I really wanted ^_^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I got one earlier apparently on Shelmet. When I saw it only took one roll to be caught, it just didn't seem right. For some reason I prefer when the ball rolls the four times, lol :( It didn't seem to be different to normal rolls imo, which is what I expected anyway (to be different that is). D;

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I didn't even know about this until now! But yeah, I think I did get a critical capture once. I remember being freaked out when the ball rolled only once.

Years
  • This just recently happened to me with a Braviary. It wiggles like twice in mid-air then wiggles onlt once after bouncing..pretty cool

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I had no idea that it was a critical capture! I just saw the ball shake once and assumed they didn't bother with the others because the Sandile was so very clearly caught!

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • I was spamming ultra balls until I heard this weird noise and the ball made 1 shake and went in and I thought the noise came from my nose whistling but it was the ball. No joke I was about to ask the same thing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I don't think that's how it works. It shakes once before capture instead of three times, but the Pokemon can still break out.

Anyways, no, I haven't had one yet, but I've only caught about 10 Pokemon, so it makes sense.

Back