• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Critical Capture

Have you had a critical capture yet?

• Yes

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 46.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    It doesn't really look anything special, you just hear a certain metallic sound and the Pokéball wiggles only once after capturing the Pokémon.
    Ohh, is that what that is? This happened to me when I threw a Dusk Ball at a Ferroseed. This being the first Dusk Ball I've thrown in this generation, I wasn't sure if that wasn't just the effect for the fancy Pokéballs in Black & White.

This thing was low on HP and burnt, so it was pretty timely.

Shinjiaoki94

Punk Leader
    Years
    I think it was a glitch o_O

P/S: Yay, I got a Scraggy with Adamant nature and Shred Skin ability... but the one with Brave nture that I currently using is Lv 100, though... hafta train again T_T

Years
    I heard there was supposed to be a slight difference in the animation of the ball as it was thrown with critical captures but I havent managed to notice any difference.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    No, because I only used Master Balls to catch PKMN.
    I just don't like wasting time weakening the PKMN,
    then catching, espcially on PKMN which has a low catch rate.

Also, I always 1-hit KO wild PKMN because my PKMN are too strong.

I heard there was supposed to be a slight difference in the animation of the ball as it was thrown with critical captures but I havent managed to notice any difference.

Yes, there is. There's a difference in the sound too.
    There's supposed to be "metallic" sound, then your
    Pokeball will only shake once and BANG! You just caught
    the PKMN. It's like that. Got it memorized?

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    omgosh i wish i had been paying more attention but i just had a critical capture when i was trying to catch klink. soooo awesome

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    I had no idea that it was a critical capture! I just saw the ball shake once and assumed they didn't bother with the others because the Sandile was so very clearly caught!

Haha thats exactly what I thought! Well now I know what it is! It's happened to me about 3-4 times I'd say. I don't know I caught evey wild Pokemon I saw (minus the floaty electric thing cause I only saw 1 and accidentally killed it. :( ) so going into the Pokemon League I had around 80 Pokemon. :P

Years
    i've had this happen a few times. the sound when a ball is thrown is different, then it nudges only once and then the pokemon is caught. its real rare, but it happened

Lmao is that what that was? That happened to me the other night on a random Tynamo. Didn't even realize that's what it was.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I could have really used a critical capture while trying to catch Thundurus...but no the critical capture still eludes me. -_-

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
    Oh boy, yes !
    It happened while I was playing my Black ROM on my R4 ; I caught Kyurem with only one Ultra ball...At first I was like "Wtf? D:"
    I'd have loved to have had a longer battle but it didn't happen, BUT then, I remembered Cobalion...THAT guy had me use lots of Ultra balls on it before it would get caught...
    So I then thought : "Well, it's good that I caught Kyurem easily..."
    But I still am surprised. .c.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    These things happen so god damn much \: To fight Kyurem I brought a whole team of Pokemon to stall against him. first ultra ball BAM. Same thing happened with the other legends including Victini and many other wild Pokemon. <:

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    It happened to me a few times as well, but half the time I wasn't even paying attention, so I wouldn't know if it happened or not.
    I wonder...does the rate of critical capture work like critical hits?(and I'm going into the specifics here)

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    It happened to me once, I wasn't really paying attention because it was just some Pokemon to add to my Pokedex, and it clicked the capture so fast I worried that I had accidentally used my Master Ball on it!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Earlier today I got a failed critical capture, kinda sad too, since I'd only had one successful one, but I really did notice that it was a critical capture, anyway. I noticed the sound and all! :D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I actually had my first two today. (Or at least the first i've noticed)

The first was at a Lv. 49 throh, the second was against an annoying Lv. 59 altaria. :D

I love the sound it makes when you throw it and when it shakes. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think I've had one yet, how noticeable is it?

Sound on: Noticeability I would say is 9/10, if you've caught multiple Pokemon with the sound on. You'll recognize the different sound.
    Sound off: 6/10, if you're not watching the screen very closely you may just see the Pokemon caught and not catch that it only wiggled once, or wiggled in the air beforehand.

Either way it's noticeable if you're paying attention.

Back