• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critique my site?

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
  • Hey there, ladies and gents.

I know there was a thread about site critique already, but I didn't want to 'jack it from the bro who made it. His thread, not mine.

Probably don't know me, but that's okay. I love all of you. <3

Anyway. As my signature suggests I'm the Editor-In-Chief of a fledgling game news network known as Xugo Gaming. We just launched our homepage in late March after working on it for a few months. The whole thing was built from scratch, completely custom design by our Xugo wizards. I didn't have anything to do with the actual design or programming of the site - I just help handle the words n' stuff - but as the site itself is still important to me I would like your opinion on it. After all, site content may be a big part of the package but if the site itself isn't adequate then there's no success.

https://www.xugogaming.com/home

Our goal was to offer a clean and classy layout that's easy to navigate, and one that puts the focus on the content rather than fancy graphics or whatev'. The blue and white was to offset all those other dark game sites that we always saw; everything is so dark nowadays, bright is cool too. We're still working out a few kinks - changing things around a bit to reflect the suggestions of our little forum community - but I think it shaped up nicely. What are your thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring traffic to a site such as this? How do you handle marketing on your sites? We use Twitter religiously everytime an article is written, and the occasional use of Digg, N4G and Reddit. Content is of course going to be the main draw, but how do we make people aware of it?

Thanks in advance.

Totodile!

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • I'm not really impressed with the design. The designers should try and make it a bit more advanced. Actually it's pretty simple to navigate through the website so there's only one thing to do - make it look better!

Anyway the content is nice and it seems that you put a lot of hard work in updating for the readers.
    Thats all from me and I wish you best of luck with improving and progressing ahead!

Totodile!

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • Well for now the design looks a bit ... plain. I meant to say that you need to make it more interactive so it shows off the nice work made by the programmers.
    I hope you understand me xD

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • Well for now the design looks a bit ... plain. I meant to say that you need to make it more interactive so it shows off the nice work made by the programmers.
    I hope you understand me xD

Yeah, I dig it.

Our plan was to make it kind of like a book, I guess. I mean, there's not much you can do with a book, design-wise. It's just a cover and some pages, right? So the focus is all on the content. It might not have many bells and whistles, but there's no distractions keeping your mind off of the content. There are many sites out there that tend to forget the importance of those kinds of things. We didn't want to be one of those websites.

But yes, we do have plans on adding a fair bit more interactivity. The article comment system, for example, is going to be completely reworked. We also have plans to add a tournament system so our community will be able to set up and host game tournaments. All of this is made from scratch, though, so it takes time unfortunately.

Again, thanks for your input. Any more advice is great! We want to make this work, and learning different perspectives helps a great deal.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Articles and Community, when I hover over them, they turn yellow and a subnav appears. When I unhover over them, and move to the other three links, they stay yellow and subnav is still there. It should be fixed so that doesn't happen. :3 Kinda looks silly, having two "hovered" over links (as you get two yellow ones)

The yellow is kinda an ugly accent, to be honest. It works okay for the navbar, but not for the Login/Register links. It's just ugly over there. For those, I'd say keep the grey that you use for the divider, and kill the underline. People are smart and will still figure them to be links, but it won't be so ugly. (And it's not like you're trying to make them pop out, as the font size is tiny enough)
    ...or on second thought, get rid of it, as you have the login/register box right underneath. Double coverage is useful in sports or on registers during busy shopping days... not so much a self-claimed simplistic website.
    ...edit: as I continue to explore, I see why you have it there. the login/register box vanishes. :s I dunno what to do here.

I love the box at the top where it has the three top(?) news articles. That's a very nice piece there, especially with the changing backgrounds. I'm just kinda confused as to what they are. They the top news articles, or recent ones that aren't updated or...?

Change the forum updates thing. At first glance, those dates (thread start dates) make it look like a REALLY ignored forum.

I see:
    Jan 18 2010 03:40 pm
    Nov 17 2009 12:28 am
    Nov 16 2009 02:05 am
    as the first three. TBH, I initially just ignored the next two (which are funnily started in April) and figured it was a dead forum. Change it to the last post time - which is where you're grabbing them, I assume. If you have a really active forum, you could even do a "one minute ago" "30 seconds ago" "five minutes ago" type thing.
    On a similar matter, if you guys are up to it, AJAX it. Have it be a running list. Would be really cool and could possibly drive traffic - people are seeing stuff HAPPEN! :)
    Oh, and change to "Latest Forum Topics" or something. Make sure they know it's forum, and not website.
    The "32,906 Posts" is cute, but it's bit misleading as to what the posts are. It's centered and isn't really connected to anything - so it could be comments to the website, forum posts, @replies on twitter...

---ALLOW GUEST COMMENTS--- but moderate them or something. Also, I'm not sure (as I can't find any) but threaded comments would be nice. If you don't already have any.

The tag cloud in the "About this Article" is slightly confusing. I don't know if I really understand it... and a typical user won't, I can guarentee that. Change it up.

Put the retweet button on the homepage. Will drive more tweeting traffic.

The breadcrumbs in the articles could be linked. ex:
    https://www.xugogaming.com/article/264/ever_wonder_what_nextgen_zelda_might_look_like
    Have the "Nintendo" be a link to the Nintendo articles. :)

Add one of those "show this on facebook" dealies. Works well with retweet, and people actually read stuff on facebook. :)

re: https://www.xugogaming.com/article/273/call_of_duty_black_ops_debut_teaser_trailer
    host your own media?

In regards to media, perhaps having a couple other media pieces on the main page would be nice - a few pictures or videos. Right now, the home page just has the Call of Duty trailer, and it makes for kinda bland reading. I just kinda glazed over rest of them, but a picture makes it pop. :)

Also, if you could customize the cut words, that might be good. "For more information & pictures..." or something.

Also, plz don't cut in the middle of a sentence. That kinda pisses me off. :3

Well, sorry it's so jumpy, but I just commented as I poked around the site. :) The design, imo, is gorgeous. Except the yellow. Otherwise, awesome. It's usable, and expandable. The little accents are cool, like the triangles in the header.

For marketing the site... make it more public. Guest comments, and not having everything built into the forums.

[WAITWAITWAIT] I just looked at the "poster" for the news articles. =o= Don't tell me this is just an automatic thing where it grabs news from everywhere and reposts? Please say it isn't... and that you just for some reason have the credits as the author. :(

If it is such, then here's your best tip: write your own thoughts, make your voice heard. I rant about nothings in my blog, and get 30 people a day. You talk about games and you'll get lots more people. :)

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • [WAITWAITWAIT] I just looked at the "poster" for the news articles. =o= Don't tell me this is just an automatic thing where it grabs news from everywhere and reposts? Please say it isn't... and that you just for some reason have the credits as the author. :(

If it is such, then here's your best tip: write your own thoughts, make your voice heard. I rant about nothings in my blog, and get 30 people a day. You talk about games and you'll get lots more people. :)

Yeah, that's kind of a funny thing. We do write our own content, but the way our news feed credits our author isn't quite clear enough apparently. It's been brought to our attention before and we have plans of clearing it up. What you see as the "poster" is actually the author of the source... which probably shouldn't be as clear as it is.

All of the actual content is written in-house, fear not. Otherwise I wouldn't have much of a job as Editor-In-Chief. ;)

Thanks so much for your suggestions, by the way! In particular I think I agree with you about the "read more" cutting things off mid-sentence. If you have anymore to suggest, let us have it!

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015

Our goal was to offer a clean and classy layout that's easy to navigate, and one that puts the focus on the content rather than fancy graphics or whatev'. The blue and white was to offset all those other dark game sites that we always saw; everything is so dark nowadays, bright is cool too. We're still working out a few kinks - changing things around a bit to reflect the suggestions of our little forum community - but I think it shaped up nicely. What are your thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

You sound serious about what you are working on - both on your own and as a team - and so I am going to be serious and thorough in my critique as well.

If I post something that isn't coming across clearly, please don't hesitate to ask me to elaborate or explain in a better/different way.

RE: Classy

I like classy. :)

Classy can be a tuxedo suit or it can be a black buttondown and black slacks combo or it can be a really awesome looking graphical t-shirt that fits well along with a pair of really nice jeans.

Basically, 'classy' can be a few different things and manifest itself in different ways.

A great way to 'class' up a website is to simply make sure that everything 'fits' together in terms of aesthetics and have a few choice bits and pieces stand out rather than having everything scattered everywhere.

For your website in particular, I really like how you're keeping the header space and layout simple and trying not to crowd things together. I think you're definitely headed in the right direction! :)

However, I also agree with what some other people are saying; perhaps things look a bit -too- simple.

You say the site is bit like a book (or maybe a nice magazine?), and as a book lover, I know better than to judge a book by its cover, but unfortunately... I know that other people WILL judge a book - in this case, the website - by its 'cover'. For this reason, I suggest considering adding just a touch extra to the aesthetics.

A way to add 'more' to the aesthetics without going overboard (we're still working with keeping things classy and simple and clean) might be to simply add some subtle texturing to the blue in the header and repeat this texturing to the same-color blue bars used elsewhere on the site. Or, give the blue bars a bit more graphical dressing up. The idea is to dress a few key items up and leave the rest plain and clean and accessible.

Another way to add a little 'more' might be to make the main navigation strip (Home, Articles, Community, etc) stand out more by blocking them out or something similar that would highlight them. As is, the main navigation and the logo are the same color and being so close together without any distinguishing factors makes them sort of blend in together which isn't good. You want the logo nice and prominent and you want the navigation to be nice and prominent also.

Another thing that could be done would be to touch up the site logo some more. I love the X, but it feels like the rest of the logo could use a little something extra given the plainness of everything else. Make it stand out more by making it a bit bigger and changing the font type used for the rest of the logo name/site name. The sans serif font type adds to the plain-ness as it simply blends in with the sans serif font type used in the rest of the site. A custom-made/designed font type would be an awesome way to add something unique to your site and would be a way to improve your site's branding. If you're serious about marketing your site, then you need to make sure your branding is rock solid.

An awesome looking logo would be easy to use in a banner used in banner/link exchanges and it would make you as a website easy to recognize in a list of other websites whose banners are being displayed.

In relation to that, the footer space can/should be dressed up as well. Be proud of your site and your awesome articles by making your footer something to look at. :)

Since the footer is at the end of the page/site, having it be like the logo in terms of uniqueness would not detract from the rest of the site and in fact would be a more appropriate 'closing' for the site. Think of a real book and its covers. There is an awesome front cover and an awesome back cover. It wouldn't do to have a great front cover and a completely lackluster back cover. The more awesome your header is, the more awesome the footer could/should be.

RE: Blue

I agree about the trend with darker layouts and I also agree that bright colors can still be used and I like the brightness of the blue.

However, being plain blue with a hint of gradience and no texturing combined with the layout style of the site combined with the stylization of the articles reminds me of the default WordPress Kubrick theme which is a similar blue and white.

That's not bad, but I'm not sure if you would want/be okay with that association. A way to set the site apart from the Kubrick theme would be to add some subtle texturization on the solid blues and perhaps change the shade of blue of the blue headers or change the shade of the grey background of the site. Another way, too, would be what I suggested earlier - making the blue header bars more graphical and less of a simple blue bar.

Uniformity is a GOOD thing, definitely, but sometimes -too- much uniformity can end up causing the online equivalent of highway hypnosis, which you do not want since your site is focused on grabbing a viewer's attention and keeping it.

Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring traffic to a site such as this? How do you handle marketing on your sites? We use Twitter religiously everytime an article is written, and the occasional use of Digg, N4G and Reddit. Content is of course going to be the main draw, but how do we make people aware of it?

Link exchanges and banner exchanges with dependable, worthy sites (meaning, they aren't scam sites and they aren't sites that will die within a month or a few months) with good traffic can help draw good traffic as can advertising online in communities (make sure you follow rules!) where you might find like-minded potential readers.

Being that you sound very serious about seeing this website through to being as successful as it can be, I would suggest doing research on SEO - search engine optimization - and implementing good SEO practices.

---

RE: Overall

I really appreciate the simple and clean direction the site is headed in and I completely agree with your sentiments regarding simple and clean and the choices made in keeping things simple, clean, and classy. I also think you are all doing a really good job in regards to achieving your goals.

In the pursuit of keeping things simple and clean, however, don't let a viewer become 'hypnotized' by flowing everything together. Those blue header bars and your logo? Use them to give your readers something interesting to look at to break potential 'highway hypnosis'. You don't want to completely derail their attention elsewhere, but a little speed bump won't hurt.

Just like a bit of a frill on elegant stationery letterheads don't detract from the stationery set's feel of elegance, a little extra 'frill' where it counts on a site will not detract from its 'classiness', either.

Say hello with an eye-grabbing header and say thanks for reading with another eye-grabber footer. The footer idea I mentioned earlier is a great way to say thank you to your readers by giving them something neat to look at after they're doing browsing your site. Dress up the 404 error page, too, for the same reason.

The big things - content, overall aesthetics - are of course important, but oftentimes, it's the small things that really make a truly site unique.

In that vein, the writing has a nice solid tone; don't let something like a mid-sentence 'Read More' or spacing discrepancies in the site/block/div layout disrupt it and don't be afraid to add some/change some CSS stylization to make the articles stand out more.

There are many graphics-heavy sites that promise much but deliver nothing. In my honest (and admittedly harsh) opinion, the completely lackluster and oftentimes even poorly written content within oftentimes don't deserve the graphical fanfare that they're given.

In your case, I think you have content and the chops... and they DO deserve some dressing up! :)

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • You sound serious about what you are working on - both on your own and as a team - and so I am going to be serious and thorough in my critique as well.

Thank you so much! Yup, I try to stay serious. We're a licensed company after all, so I guess we're in this for real. Just now getting off the ground but I really think we can build a business out of this.

You say the site is bit like a book (or maybe a nice magazine?), and as a book lover, I know better than to judge a book by its cover, but unfortunately... I know that other people WILL judge a book - in this case, the website - by its 'cover'. For this reason, I suggest considering adding just a touch extra to the aesthetics.

A way to add 'more' to the aesthetics without going overboard (we're still working with keeping things classy and simple and clean) might be to simply add some subtle texturing to the blue in the header and repeat this texturing to the same-color blue bars used elsewhere on the site. Or, give the blue bars a bit more graphical dressing up. The idea is to dress a few key items up and leave the rest plain and clean and accessible.

I spoke with our web developer on this and he agreed, apparently this was in the cards already and I was just out of the loop. D=

Our next visual update is coming soon, but for the one after they plan on spicing up the footer and the textures ever-so-slightly. The trick is to not overdo it so that it becomes a sensory overload (alas, poor FFXIII, you were hardly a video game) but we do agree that there is a certain plastic quality to the way it looks now.

In that vein, the writing has a nice solid tone; don't let something like a mid-sentence 'Read More' or spacing discrepancies in the site/block/div layout disrupt it and don't be afraid to add some/change some CSS stylization to make the articles stand out more.

Yeah, that is something we will definitely address with this coming update... which should be ready soon, hopefully! It's getting there.

There are many graphics-heavy sites that promise much but deliver nothing. In my honest (and admittedly harsh) opinion, the completely lackluster and oftentimes even poorly written content within oftentimes don't deserve the graphical fanfare that they're given.

In your case, I think you have content and the chops... and they DO deserve some dressing up! :)

Thank you so much, it's great to hear we might be doing something right. Your post made my night, really. =D

Back