• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Curious... How many 'Older' fans...

20 yrs+, are you a...

• returning fan to the franchise

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • new fan to franchise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • never left

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters

Guest123_x1

I had gotten into Pokémon for the first time when I was 11, in sixth grade, when Generation I was mainstream. I had continued into Generation II, but eventually gave up on the series, as I never got a Game Boy Advance or its successors so that I could continue with Generation III and later, partly because I was miffed that you couldn't import Pokémon from the first two generations into Ruby and Sapphire.

Nine years after trading in the Pokémon games that I originally had, I bought myself a 2DS and Alpha Sapphire, as I had actually been wanting to return to Pokémon gaming on an actual Nintendo system for quite some time. At that point, I was basically talked into returning by a job coach that I worked with at the time who was also into Pokémon.

Since I had traded in my Game Boy games years before, I was really pleased when Red, Blue, and Yellow were released for the 3DS family's Virtual Console. I purchased their downloads almost as soon as they came out, for I was so eager to get back to playing these games legally (as opposed to via PC-based emulators).

I haven't been playing much lately, even after buying myself Moon, but I keep wanting to play again some more. There's only so much you can manage with limited time.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I never left. I could never leave this series. Sometimes I stopped watching the anime, but I always played the games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I've been in since gen I and haven't looked back. Yeah, I go through my phases where I focus my attention on other games. I think we all do at some point. But never in my life have I straight up left and ignored the franchise or thought "I'm too old for this" or something. It's a very important series to me and I can't imagine how different I would be without it now. For what it's worth, I'm 24 and I've been into Pokemon since '98.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    Ive loved pokemonsince 1998 but did not own any of the games until the release of gen 2 (the original, not the ds). I then bought the gen omes and played through them as well as I enjoyed gen 2 so much.

Gen 3 was and still is my all time favorite. I attempted gwn 4 when the roms and a compatible emulator came out but never could find the same motivation. It was not an age thing, it was the fact that in 1 through 3 I had cartridges and handheld systems that just had an authentic feel and I had the games near their release date. I also despise the more 3d graphics and will forever favor the 2d topdown of gen 3.

I finally bought a 3ds at the announcement of oras because gen 3 is my favorite and these were the remakes of my favorite generation. Gen 7 was also amazing.

I still stand by my opinion that the 2d is far superior to the 3d. It has just never had that classic feel that I fell in love with as a kid, hence why Ive leaned more to the territory of fan games. ( also because you can actually obtain all pokemon in the fan games, its next to impossible in the official ones without cheating.)

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I never left Pokemon since I got into it when I was about five. Whether it was good [Johto, Hoenn, Kalos] or bad [Sinnoh, Unova] or somewhere in between, I loved it. I'm a lifetime fan!

Years
    I got into Pokemon in 2008. My first game was a pokemon blue cartridge I bought from some kid when I was in 2nd grade.

So I still started out with the original Pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I ticked "never left" but in reality my first game was Emerald, my last so far was Black 2 but I've not stopped playing - I just can't justify the outlay on a 3DS just for pokémon (The same reason I haven't gotten an Xbox One / PS4 when all I would play would be FIFA and Assassin's Creed). My parents said by the time I got to university I would run out of time for video games - in fact I have more because I can't go out as much as I want to due to finances :P

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
    I'm not exactly 'returning' to the fandom, I always liked pokemon growing up. There were times where I went several years between playing games. That's life I suppose. But I never considered joining a forum to talk about it before.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I stopped after gen 1 then tried again with gen 3 (bought the GBA version of ruby but never finished it) and then returned at gen 4 (Soulsilver) and have been playing since on and off.

I was 'too old' when RBY came out but enjoyed the game so didnt care and am definitely 'too old' for it now but meh still dont care as its fun. While its fun ill still play.

Back