• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Customising e-Reader Cards

Anzomia

Insomniac
Years
  • Holy smokes! Thanks to all you guys who have contributed to this project as this is awesome!

As someone with little knowledge of programming, I read through this entire thread and would like to take a jab at this project to recreate the Regi dolls in English but I feel so lost. Is there any video tutorial?

Regardless, I'm going to try my hand at this and see what comes of it!

Thanks so much paccy and everyone else!

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    there is no video that fully flushes out the project but I have found Blissy's video to be the most in depth, i tried following the WSL set up tutorial as well that is pretty up to date and kind of got an understanding of how to set things up, but i get stuck at that "make" command.

Anzomia

Insomniac
    Years
  • there is no video that fully flushes out the project but I have found Blissy's video to be the most in depth, i tried following the WSL set up tutorial as well that is pretty up to date and kind of got an understanding of how to set things up, but i get stuck at that "make" command.

Would you be able to link me to Blissy's video please? Thanks in advance!

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • I am having some trouble trying to get the asm to convert to raws using the make command, when I went to type in make I would get this
    python ../scripts/regionalize.py trainers/alana.asm trainers/alana-EN.tx EN EN
    make: python: Permission denied
    make: *** [Makefile:20: trainers/alana-EN.tx] Error 127
    could i also have a different version of python than what it needs?

--edit--
    i installed python2 and have my system prioritize python 2 over 3 and running the 'make' command turned the .asm files into .mev instead of raws
    here is a link for setting python2 to have priority over python3
    https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-to-install-python-2-7-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts/
    Hey! From your pm you could try 'sudo make' instead and see if that works. If that doesn't work try running 'chmod 777 nevpk' and then run 'make' again.

Holy smokes! Thanks to all you guys who have contributed to this project as this is awesome!

As someone with little knowledge of programming, I read through this entire thread and would like to take a jab at this project to recreate the Regi dolls in English but I feel so lost. Is there any video tutorial?

Regardless, I'm going to try my hand at this and see what comes of it!

Thanks so much paccy and everyone else!
    Unfortunately there's no video of my method but if you wanna try it I suggest you look here to set up WSL if you haven't already. You can then ask me for any help you need making the card.
    Definitely check out Blissy's video as well!

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    major thanks paccy! I used chat gpt AI to help me before bed yesterday and figured i need to use chmod to give it permission. I am about to go use the command now, and hopefully it works, if I can get all of it working on my end I am considering taking some time to throw together a complete tutorial explaining the setup process, I just feel like I don't have enough Linux knowledge to do it justice but I am 80% considering making a unlisted youtube video and posting it here.

Anzomia

Insomniac
    Years
  • Thanks for the prompt reply paccy!

So I went ahead and set up WSL, installed Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, and have Python 2.7.18.

I downloaded the Ruby&Sapphire disassembly as I'm looking to get the Regi Doll decoration to work with the English e-Reader and games.

I extracted nedcmake, nevpk, nedclib.dll, rgbasm, and rgbfix and put them into both ...\pokecarde-master\battle-e and ...\pokecarde-master\decoration folders and made sure to remove the .exe file extensions from rgbasm.exe and rgblink.exe.

I loaded up the WSL CLI, changed the directory to ...\pokecarde-master\decoration, and used the
    Code:
    make
    command to compile the Regidoll .raw files but was returned the following:
    Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target '08-O001-EN.raw', needed by 'all'.  Stop.

What do you think seems to be the issue? Thanks in advance!
    major thanks paccy! I used chat gpt AI to help me before bed yesterday and figured i need to use chmod to give it permission. I am about to go use the command now, and hopefully it works, if I can get all of it working on my end I am considering taking some time to throw together a complete tutorial explaining the setup process, I just feel like I don't have enough Linux knowledge to do it justice but I am 80% considering making a unlisted youtube video and posting it here.

Artificial Intelligence FTW! That would also be awesome Redtropol!

EDIT: 2/5/2023 - I managed to get mine working!

TLDR; I unintentionally removed usr/bin/python after deleting python 3 since setting priority to python 2.7 and compiling was still not working. Turns out I maybe didn't set the priority correct so I reinstalled python 3, which reinstated the original python bin folder, set priority to python 2.7 correctly, ran the make function once more and it compiled!

Thanks paccy and Redtropol!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    sadly 'chmod 777 nevpk' did not work for me and so i ran 'Ls - L nevpk' (L is not supposed to be capitalized) to check if the file was executable and sure enough I got this

-rwxrwxrwx 1 redtropol redtropol 17987 Apr 23 2007 gpl.txt
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 redtropol redtropol 794 Jun 13 2007 'history (nevpk).txt'
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 redtropol redtropol 61440 Jul 9 2007 nedclib.dll
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 redtropol redtropol 10240 Jul 9 2007 nevpk.exe

btw i believe r stands for read w stands for write and x stand for executable I dont know why it repeats itself but i think its because i typed the permission command in a couple times and didnt get results
    but i believe it does show that everything here is executable
    i do have another idea ill be posting shortly if i get results

I got nothin lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    I did it I got it working! and i believe there is a miscommunication with the setup instructions, or there is simply another way that I figured out. hope I make custom trainer cards now. Thank you yet again Paccy this is the coolest!

--edit--
    got base decore working to so i will cover it in the video

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    here is a little tutorial i made only for this website, the video is unlisted, leave in issues in the comments or on this site. I was tired trying to make the video so I apologize for the amount of times I say "uh" and for not having a decent script thrown together. I might make a new well put together version in the future. Here yall go https://youtu.be/N_-xc0A7dSM
    here is a link to setting up that WSL if you all have trouble finding it in this forum. I kept losing it https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432351

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    Paccy, how exactly do I create my own Ecards for a Japanese copy of emerald and ruby? I looked at the code "removing region lock" but I was thinking that is exclusively for setting up pokeemerald to not have a regionlock. where would i need to implement that code if I wanted to make a legit dot code for the japanese ereader+ ?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Hey Paccy, back again with a quick Q. I read that you said for the eon ticket, that script can be assigned to basically any object. I can easily assign it to items or pokeballs, but can't seem to figure out how to assign it to Sign objects. Do you know how?

In addition, what are you using to edit the .4bpp and .pal files? I can't seem to find anything that supports them in any meaningful way?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    I'm having this same issue of getting a black screen when using the raws compiled (no changes yet) reported on the first page. I saw the response about line endings but I don't know how to resolve that. I'm making in windows since I can't get it to work in WSL (I can't compile the rgbds linux tools for use with WSL). Any suggestions or help? I'm also not seeing a checksum check in my log at all so I don't know if it's exactly the same issue. using python 2.7

EDIT: I was able to fix it! I had to adjust checksum.py and stripgbc.py and changed open calls with 'w' modes to 'wb' and now everything compiles and runs properly (at least on an emulator).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    Hey Paccy, back again with a quick Q. I read that you said for the eon ticket, that script can be assigned to basically any object. I can easily assign it to items or pokeballs, but can't seem to figure out how to assign it to Sign objects. Do you know how?

In addition, what are you using to edit the .4bpp and .pal files? I can't seem to find anything that supports them in any meaningful way?

Pret's pokeemerald has some way of converting .png to .4bpp and .pal. I've been using that to prep graphics

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    The file structure of PokeEmerald is completely different to whatever is going on in the EonTicket. Do you have an example of what you've done to replace it?

My project is near complete, except the final pictures lol :(

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • Hey Paccy, back again with a quick Q. I read that you said for the eon ticket, that script can be assigned to basically any object. I can easily assign it to items or pokeballs, but can't seem to figure out how to assign it to Sign objects. Do you know how?

Hey Blisy! Sorry for the late reply, been really busy.
    Unfortunately I don't know how to assign the script to signs since they're not exactly the same as objects.

As for the files I use gbagfx to convert png fiels to 4bpp and pal files. It can be found in pokeemerald in the tools folder. If you're familiar with using command line tools you can use the commands './gbagfx sprite.png sprite.4bpp' and './gbagfx sprite.png sprite.pal' to get the 4bpp and pal files from a png.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Thanks Paccy, I'll give that a try. I did find a way to use the gbapals from PokeEmerald, you can use INCBIN on them instead of INCLUDE and it'll work, although sometimes the files are too big and it'll force it to be 2 cards.

As for objects, I did some digging, and you just can't do it as far as I can tell. A mystery event can only be applied to "person events".

This is limited to NPCS, Invisible Kecleons, Visible items(not invisible items), Strength Boulders, Rock Smash Rocks, Cut Trees, and the Submarine Explorer 1. There's probably more, but that's all I found.

All signs and invisible items are not possible to assign.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Sorry for the double post, but I figured I'd document this here:

When changing the region of the eonticket in the prologue, it doesn't change all 3 values for region checks as I'd expect. That's fine, you can do it yourself.

If you decompile it as Paccy described for the regi-doll cards, in a hex editor you just need to change 44E, 465, and 467h to the respective region codes-- Or so you'd think!

For English, Japanese, and German, this is fine. Change them to 1 for JP, 2 for EN, and 5 for GER.

For Italian, Spanish, and French, you need 44E as the region code(4 for IT, 7 for SP, and 3 for FR), but 465 and 467 need to be at FF instead of the region code otherwise it will not send.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong when actually compiling, but yeah. Very odd!

Days
    • Seen Jun 17, 2023
    For Gift Pokemon ASM how do you add the Fateful encounter flag that only Mew and Deoxys use?

Back