• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Cyberglass' Fakemon

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    omag... these are amazing!!! do u have the backs too?
    Only for the starters so far. I do have party icons for most of them, though. I've been debating whether to post them or just keep with front sprites until I release the actual game/demo.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I like the colour choices here, definitely feels like something you'd see out of a Gen IV game.

That being said, you might wanna work on using scratch-made poses, instead of using bases for a lot of them. It's fine in small amounts, but overusing it can lead to lazy habits with pixel art.

Either way, keep up the good work. Definitely a good amount of talent here.

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I like the colour choices here, definitely feels like something you'd see out of a Gen IV game.

That being said, you might wanna work on using scratch-made poses, instead of using bases for a lot of them. It's fine in small amounts, but overusing it can lead to lazy habits with pixel art.

Either way, keep up the good work. Definitely a good amount of talent here.
    Thanks for the critique!

I'm not sure what you mean by "scratch-made poses" and "bases", though... my general process is to sketch the design, then draw the pixel art from scratch using the sketch as a reference. The only times I can think of that would count as using a base is that I did base the feet of Vandecoot and Finchy on Stunky and Spearow, respectively, but both of those were after the lineart had already been sketched out.

Unless you're talking about the trainers; those I did base on the official sprites. I'm terrible at drawing humans at that scale.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Thanks for the critique!

I'm not sure what you mean by "scratch-made poses" and "bases", though... my general process is to sketch the design, then draw the pixel art from scratch using the sketch as a reference. The only times I can think of that would count as using a base is that I did base the feet of Vandecoot and Finchy on Stunky and Spearow, respectively, but both of those were after the lineart had already been sketched out.

Unless you're talking about the trainers; those I did base on the official sprites. I'm terrible at drawing humans at that scale.
    Possamp, Opossohm and Wattsupial are made using the Raichu line, yes? I'm pretty sure those are the exact same poses, and that's just an example. There's a few others in there that seem to be made using the same process; I think one is made using Poochyena as a base, and its evo made using either Mightyena or Linoone, I believe.

I'm not saying they're all made using that process, but just as a tip, unless you're really struggling with posing and anatomy, it's best to avoid doing that.

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Possamp, Opossohm and Wattsupial are made using the Raichu line, yes? I'm pretty sure those are the exact same poses, and that's just an example. There's a few others in there that seem to be made using the same process; I think one is made using Poochyena as a base, and its evo made using either Mightyena or Linoone, I believe.

I'm not saying they're all made using that process, but just as a tip, unless you're really struggling with posing and anatomy, it's best to avoid doing that.
    Possamp & co. are intended to be Pikaclones, yes, so they do share the same basic body structure, but I did not "use" the Raichu line. All three were sprited from scratch, and I did not intentionally copy their poses from anywhere. I have never used the process you seem to be implying anywhere but the trainers I mentioned.

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I've had the first two of these finished for a while, but I wanted to post the whole evolutionary line at once.
    Cyberglass' Fakemon
    Cyberglass' Fakemon
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

Pebblos, Stoulder, and Saurolith. Rock-type.
    These are actually not fossils, just a rarer cave Pokémon. Based on stalagmites and balancing stones, with sauropod forms.

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Not really a fan of fakemon, but I like Bewaift :)
    What typing is it?
    Bewaift is pure Ghost-type.
    I'm not a fan of most Fakemon myself, so reactions like yours are exactly what I'm aiming for when I design. It means I'm on the right track.
    Save

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I've been working on drawing more human characters lately; here is the vs sprite for your rival:
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

See if you can figure out what's on her shirt before I finish the full-body sprite!

I also went back and redesigned the pre-evolution of Urfin:
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

Sandol is a Water-type, and is based on a sand dollar.
    Some lore (taken from Pokédex entries I've written): because it has no eyes, it triangulates locations by taste, using its five mouths. Its mouths appear far deeper than its thin body should allow.

jeez all your pokemon look like they could be in pokemon sun and moon

Thanks! I do try to emulate the Pokémon style as much as I can, although it could also mean that the official Pokémon are starting to look more like fakemon...

I have actually had a few close calls; I was considering designing a koala fakemon before Komala was revealed, and Grubbin is uncomfortably close name-wise to both Shrubbin and Grubble, as well as looks-wise to a scrapped pre-evolution for the electric atlas beetle in my "old pixels" section.
    Save

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Still haven't finished the rival's battle sprite, but I did finish another evolution line (including re-drawing the base form more on-model):

Cyberglass' Fakemon
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

Kaketaiji and Taitaika, Fighting-types.
    "Kaketaiji" is a combination of kakedashi, Japanese for "beginner", and Tai Chi.
    "Taitaika", similarly, is a combination of Tai Chi and taika, meaning expert.

Cyberglass

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

Icons! Gen VI style.

Also, I decided to try my hand at some Gen II style sprites, starting with some of my favorite Gen IV evolutions:
    Cyberglass' Fakemon
    Cyberglass' Fakemon

Back