• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P Unbalanced Pokedex?

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
    For reference here are the amount of each type that appear in the Diamond and Pearl Pokedex, this doesn't include NFE's or Legendary pokemon (Including the Psychic trio).

Normal - 10
    Fire - 2
    Fighting - 6
    Water - 16
    Flying - 13
    Grass - 6
    Poison - 8
    Electric - 3
    Ground - 8
    Psychic - 7
    Rock - 5
    Ice - 2
    Bug - 7
    Dragon - 1
    Ghost - 4
    Dark - 5
    Steel - 5

Looking at these numbers, do you think Diamond and Pearl has a really badly balanced Pokedex? I personally believe it does with a lack of pokemon types which should appear more, such as Ice Types which have their own route but only 2 appear there. and obviously the lack of fire types.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    the fact they fixed it in platinum is a sign that they did. it also felt odd to me to introduce all of these brand new evolutions for older pokemon, but make nearly all of them inaccessible until the post-game. another thing that was fixed in platinum bc i think it was another case of them learning their mistake, unless that was a plan from the beginning and might have been. if that was part of the plan, it was a foolish thing to do. i wish platinum could have focused more on introducing new things rather than having to fix glaring mistakes from the first two entries, but i guess that's what a third version typically exists for. i just find the flaws far more obvious when looking at DP and platinum compared to, say, GS and C or RS and E.

also, and this is more of a response to your post in my thread about flint where you mentioned how dumb it is to have a fire type E4 member when there are two lines of fire pokemon, but i feel like that was done partially because of how "completing" the pokedex is done in this game. this was the first game where you were counted more on having seen everything than having to catch them like previous titles. seeing them all is how you get the national dex after the E4, after all. i think that the weird pokemon distribution to these E4 and some gym leaders (volkner, for example) has to do with that. they had to find a way to make sure you saw everything. hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
    Back