• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Pokemon.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • Often nowadays, I've been thinking of the dark type pokemon. Do you think Dark Pokemon are truly "Dark" beings? As a poetic term in the Western World, darkness can also mean the presence of shadows, evil, or depression. But, can't Dark Pokemon are capable of love, or emphasizing? Or are they just pokemon that represent sinister and evil beings?

Any thoughts on Dark Pokemon? Any theories you'd like to share about them?

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Im going to quote Arbok here "Pokemon not evil, masters make do evil things" or somthing along those lines. But are dark pokemon just maybe looked at in the wrong way.

Now Evee is one of the cutest pokemon, and surly you would love it, and if you turned it into an umbreon surly it doesent have its love sucked out of it because its a dark type.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Nob Ogasawara said:
    Dark = 悪 =Evil, wickedness, badness, malevolence, etc. We had to go with "Dark" because we were told we can't use words like soul, god, evil, etc., etc.

Well, yep. There you go - 'dey Evil.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I've never viewed any type of Pokémon to be "evil," least of all Dark types. I agree with what Catz Ketchum quoted on Arbok, it's not the Pokémon that are evil, but the actions their trainers set upon them. I also try to consider a Pokémon's nature. While one Dark type may be timid or calm, another may be mischievous. Still, that doesn't mean they're evil.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I've always viewed them as the opposite of psychic, too. Where the dark type is concerned, I think they would be more along the lines of "Pokemon that linger in the shadows and/or the night and are sneaky" than "evil" Pokemon. No Pokemon is inherently evil, after all.

Spacial Sage

i don't care if you don't.
    Years
  • I figure it's a matter of choice; if a pokemon is evil, it can be evil. Of course there's also good dark-types too. I picture my tyranitar as a super-spunky dude who loves everything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    There were cases where Pokemons terrorized humans. I don't know the reason, whether they're inherently evil or not but in the anime there was an unknown dragon Pokemon that terrorized Blackthorn City until it was defeated (probably killed?) by the first gym leader.

And in the Golden Boys manga, there was an evil Tyranitar that used to terrorize Johto before it was sealed up in Cianwood.

Also, there's a somewhat "evil" Tyranitar and Scizor running in the wild after it was captured by a Dark Ball by the masked marauder guy in the Celebi voice of the forest movie. They left after the masked marauder was probably killed by forest Pokemon that mobbed him.

And in the other games, there are Shadow Pokemon made by the Cipher organization.

And isn't Genosect evil?

Years
  • Their strength is in being tricky, probably because they can't all shoot fireballs and lightning bolts like other pokemon can. Pokemon fight each other. If fighting dirty makes one of them bad then you ought to include all the poison types, too, since poisoning your opponent isn't what you'd call a fair fight.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I never viewed any dark-type Pokemon evil. I think those who train their dark Pokemon to be evil are the ones evil themselves. When raised in the wild, though, Pokemon aren't evil. They can hurt other Pokemon/people to protect their pack/home, not because their evil.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • I've always viewed them as the opposite of psychic, too. Where the dark type is concerned, I think they would be more along the lines of "Pokemon that linger in the shadows and/or the night and are sneaky" than "evil" Pokemon. No Pokemon is inherently evil, after all.

Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say exactly that. >_>

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Dark Pokemon aren't necessarily evil. Some are mischievous, like Murkrow and a few are dangerous, like Hydreigon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Dark-type Pokemon, to me, have been ones that prefer the shadows or nighttime. Some are mysterious and can stir up a bit of trouble, but none are really "evil"... unless of course their trainers use them for that purpose.

Elite Four Karen uses Dark-types, and I wouldn't categorize her as "evil", not bny a long shot.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've always viewed them as the opposite of psychic, too. Where the dark type is concerned, I think they would be more along the lines of "Pokemon that linger in the shadows and/or the night and are sneaky" than "evil" Pokemon. No Pokemon is inherently evil, after all.

Pretty much how I feel about it as well. I don't see them as evil, just beings that like the darkness and can be sneaky and tricky.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I've always just thought of Dark Pokemon as really dirty fighters, since they don't have the power to shoot fire, or ice, or lightning like other 'Mons.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I never really thought of Dark-types as evil. They might be mischevious, or sneaky, but not evil. After all, don't Absol try to warn people of impending natural disasters? And doesn't Umbreon result from an Eevee at max happiness at night? Of course some are quite a bit meaner. But not so mean as to be completely evil. (All Purrloin does is steal things.)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've never assumed that evil can arise simply out of a type. Rather, to me, Dark refers to the type of power most of their moves possess: maybe some Dark energy is at work (dark matter... or, better yet, antimatter - Dark Pokemon are secretly the physicists of the Pokemon world).

Yeah... that's the theory: dark matter and the like!

Back