• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Darthatron's Pixel Art(s)!

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
  • So a few hours ago I was searching for images to use in a title screen for a ROM hack (I'm, like, über famous there), and I could find what I was looking for. I then decided I would draw it myself since you lazy pixel artists didn't do it for me already! :(

Anyway, I googled for a tutorial and I found a good one - I read it - then I drew this Pidgeot:
    Try #1:
    erei9z.png

Try #2:
    zu5f69.png

Try #3 (tried to make it look less... chubby):
    2u4mp8n.png

Try #4 (apparently the other one looked starved):
    29xezhj.png

Based on:
    pidgeot.jpg

I think it turned out alright, since I've never really done any pixel work before, I'm more of a programmer. Anyway, comments? How can I improve, etc...

EDIT: In case you're wondering, it needs to have 16 colours to work in the title screen, so that's why there is such a lack of blending.

EDIT2:

OH LOOK 3 MORE SPRITES!

33vj9jr.jpg

A bald boy
    A girl
    A boy w/spikey hair.

Last edited:

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
  • I gotta copy this from the Rules thread:

Sprite Showcase Threads
    These require at least 4 sprites or more. Any threads containing less than that will be moved to the Spriters Showcase/Discussion thread. In addition, sprite sheets (an image containing different sprite frames), count as a single sprite, so just keep that in mind.

For the sprite, the outlines need some work. The wing over the head has a jagged outline that doesn't really follow the main image. The stomach is a little too angular, smoothen that up. The tail's outline also needs work. It needs to stretch a little farther.
    Overall, you need a stronger outline for the whole sprite (every big outline). Oh and shadings don't have outlines, so no outlines there.
    The wings look good except that the outline is a little thick on some places.

For the whole body, the stomach part should be a little longer.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • Looks good, the belly should be more curved, and try to have darker bits to the outline,
    Your first attempt at pixel art beats my first attempt :P
    Haha, well I do pride myself on my perfectionist tendancies.
    I gotta copy this from the Rules thread:

For the sprite, the outlines need some work. The wing over the head has a jagged outline that doesn't really follow the main image. The stomach is a little too angular, smoothen that up. The tail's outline also needs work. It needs to stretch a little farther.
    Overall, you need a stronger outline for the whole sprite (every big outline). Oh and shadings don't have outlines, so no outlines there.
    The wings look good except that the outline is a little thick on some places.

For the whole body, the stomach part should be a little longer.
    Ah, I guess I'll upload some more then.

Ok thanks. Very helpful. :)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    So a few hours ago I was searching for images to use in a title screen for a ROM hack (I'm, like, über famous there), and I could find what I was looking for. I then decided I would draw it myself since you lazy pixel artists didn't do it for me already! :(

Well, funnily enough, it's because we're not a one stop shop for lazy hackers who expect us to just create things for them. You may be "famous" around ROM hacking, but you aren't around Pixel Art, so don't come in here with a cocky attitude.

The colours on your 3 most recent sprites need major work, the purple and (lighter) blue are too close to each other in tone, and the shading following the outline doesn't look right. The pose is also kind of boring.

The Pidgeotto, although nice, is basic, it lacks any real character, the shading is a near carbon clone of the anime counterpart and the eyes feel lifeless, try creating your own pose and using a richer palette.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • Well, funnily enough, it's because we're not a one stop shop for lazy hackers who expect us to just create things for them. You may be "famous" around ROM hacking, but you aren't around Pixel Art, so don't come in here with a cocky attitude.
    Relax -- it was a joke...

You seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against ROM hackers (probably because they never read the damn rules), but try not to see me as one of them, but rather as someone who wants to cover all of their bases.

The colours on your 3 most recent sprites need major work, the purple and (lighter) blue are too close to each other in tone, and the shading following the outline doesn't look right. The pose is also kind of boring.

The Pidgeotto, although nice, is basic, it lacks any real character, the shading is a near carbon clone of the anime counterpart and the eyes feel lifeless, try creating your own pose and using a richer palette.
    Of course I do plan on creating my own poses, but as I said this was my first attempt at pixel art. I Agree, the eyes are kind of lifeless and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Thanks for the advice.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    See, you said you can only use 16 colours (I assume that's including transparency?) The problem most new pixel artists have is they think of 15-16 different colours, including shades, outlining etc. The key is to mess with hues, meaning your brown is also somewhat a red, your dark badge is also a sandy brown etc. Another thing to keep in mind is how dithering and other shading techniques can create an illusion of another colour (Dithering red onto blue creates the illusion of purple etc) That way your Pixel art can end up looking as if it has way more than 30 colours when in reality it's only using 16.
    Here's a few strong pieces that only use 16 colours, I know they deviate away from the Pokemon style, but it's the palettes themselves that are important.

http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_ic...owner=0&d=&dosearch=1&ob=search&action=search

And I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a joke, and yes, I do hold a slight resentment to ROM hackers as something stupid like 70% of the rule breakers in this section are hackers looking for sprites.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • It's more Fox has a vendetta against people who break the posted rules. If you were charged with moderating a forum, wouldn't you feel the same way? Every day, there are a handful of threads created that don't meet the requirements for creating a thread here... like this one. There are also a ton of people that post saying that they like a piece of pixel art while offering no constructive criticism, which Fox is also obligated to deal with. The biggest problem is rom hackers, most of whom are kids that assume that if it's on the internet it's free to use. So, you'll understand if some people on this board have little patience for a rom hacker that hasn't read the rules and makes joking comments that serve no purpose other to insult them.

Anyway, your pixel-over is pretty good, and should serve its purpose just fine. If your rom can handle it, you should add more shades to the colors you used, because as-is the outlines look a bit jaggy and the piece looks flat overall. How many colors can the title screen support, anyway?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • See, you said you can only use 16 colours (I assume that's including transparency?) The problem most new pixel artists have is they think of 15-16 different colours, including shades, outlining etc. The key is to mess with hues, meaning your brown is also somewhat a red, your dark badge is also a sandy brown etc. Another thing to keep in mind is how dithering and other shading techniques can create an illusion of another colour (Dithering red onto blue creates the illusion of purple etc) That way your Pixel art can end up looking as if it has way more than 30 colours when in reality it's only using 16.
    Here's a few strong pieces that only use 16 colours, I know they deviate away from the Pokemon style, but it's the palettes themselves that are important.

http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_ic...owner=0&d=&dosearch=1&ob=search&action=search

And I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a joke, and yes, I do hold a slight resentment to ROM hackers as something stupid like 70% of the rule breakers in this section are hackers looking for sprites.
    Thanks for the link, I looked at a few images and I think I can make this sprite look much better.

And that's fine - I completely understand.
    It's more Fox has a vendetta against people who break the posted rules. If you were charged with moderating a forum, wouldn't you feel the same way? Every day, there are a handful of threads created that don't meet the requirements for creating a thread here... like this one. There are also a ton of people that post saying that they like a piece of pixel art while offering no constructive criticism, which Fox is also obligated to deal with. The biggest problem is rom hackers, most of whom are kids that assume that if it's on the internet it's free to use. So, you'll understand if some people on this board have little patience for a rom hacker that hasn't read the rules and makes joking comments that serve no purpose other to insult them.

Anyway, your pixel-over is pretty good, and should serve its purpose just fine. If your rom can handle it, you should add more shades to the colors you used, because as-is the outlines look a bit jaggy and the piece looks flat overall. How many colors can the title screen support, anyway?
    Yeah, I understand. I am an ex mod on a few forums, also dealing with children (RuneScape), but I only really moderated the off-topic and programming sections.

A title screen can use 256 colours (including 16 transparent colours), but each tile can only hold 16 colours (including a transparent one), and each tile is 8 pixels by 8 pixels. So I could use more than the amount I used, as long as the same colours are always near each other. :\

fuznug

Hacker In Training
    Years
  • wow!

wow for a first, this is really nice, actually seeing you do this gave me inspiration to try my own, ill send you it when im done so you can see! So basically thanks hahaha and good work

Back