• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Dat Files

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2023
    I wish to look at the dat files within pokemon essentials so that I may learn how it works. All I need to know is the program used to create the files so that I may learn from it.
    Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, the Dat files are created in a script section called Compiler. There's isn't a one to one though, pokemon.txt turns into 6 different files.
    There is a page on the wiki explaining the compiler, it hasn't been updated for v17 but not much changed when it comes to the big sweeps and formatting. It does focus a bit more on the reading of the PBS file than the saving though.

Mind you that some of the dat files are created with Marshal.dump (or save_data, a method that wraps it), which is a special format. The format is apparently slightly different depending on the version of ruby, but I think the main sweeps is the same based on opening those files in a hex editor. This is for version 2.1.0, I couldn't find one for 1.8.1, the version RMXP uses.

If you need a hex editor, HxD is pretty good.

Last edited:
    Back