• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Day of Silence

Support?

• Total voters

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
  • Why say it if you wish it to be ignored rather than seen as what it is, a controversial topic that will be argued just because its a controversial topic of its type?
    Because I am allowed to post my opinions, you are the guys complaining about the debating when you where the guys who chose to start it.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Because I am allowed to post my opinions, you are the guys complaining about the debating when you where the guys who chose to start it.

So you think you're not at fault at all? Ever hear of instigating an argument, fight, or whatever?

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    You could of left it alone, you chose to argue it, which created the problem. If you guys where truly so accepting then you would of excepted my opinion and left it be.

I think the reason why people argued against you (other than the fact that the point of posting something like what you posted is pretty much to start a debate) is that you had a very opinionated statement and you referred to the logic used to indicate that gay people are born gay as "sick" (despite the fact that it has been scientifically proven and that, even if homosexuality is something that occurs because of a series of events over one's childhood, it's not the person's own doing).

You also said that it was "1000 times worse for a black person" (that's the past, and doesn't really apply to this debate), stated that you intentionally disrupted the protest (I don't agree with the protest methods but you're basically saying that you don't care about the people who are the victims of these hate crimes), brought religion into the discussion ("Being black isn't a sin") when you neither explained what that had to do with the protest (Not all sins are illegal, this isn't Vatican City) or why it even mattered that it was a sin (though in my studies I have only gathered that homosexuality was a crime in ancient Christian settings, not a sin), and stated that you felt you need to tell gay people that "what they are doing is wrong" (when, frankly, they have probably heard enough of that in their lifetime and don't need to hear it from you).

So if you were still wondering why no one left it alone, that's why. However, relating back to the protest, you never really gave a legitimate reason for disrupting the silence.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • I don't see how being silent for people who like the same gender as themselves proves or solves anything. If people want to be losers and pretend they know it all by making fun of gays, trans, lesbians, whatever, then that's their stupidity and one day that's going to come back and bite them in the ass. That's just that.

I love gay people, I really do. They're (most of the time) friendly and really get involved with stuff, and I support gay marriage. But I'm not going to be silent for them because to be honest it's a topic that needs people fighting for it, not being silent.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I would just like to point out that the "Yes" votes are outvoting the "No" votes.

Yeah, I noticed that. :D

I think the reason why people argued against you (other than the fact that the point of posting something like what you posted is pretty much to start a debate) is that you had a very opinionated statement and you referred to the logic used to indicate that gay people are born gay as "sick" (despite the fact that it has been scientifically proven and that, even if homosexuality is something that occurs because of a series of events over one's childhood, it's not the person's own doing).

You also said that it was "1000 times worse for a black person" (that's the past, and doesn't really apply to this debate), stated that you intentionally disrupted the protest (I don't agree with the protest methods but you're basically saying that you don't care about the people who are the victims of these hate crimes), brought religion into the discussion ("Being black isn't a sin") when you neither explained what that had to do with the protest (Not all sins are illegal, this isn't Vatican City) or why it even mattered that it was a sin (though in my studies I have only gathered that homosexuality was a crime in ancient Christian settings, not a sin), and stated that you felt you need to tell gay people that "what they are doing is wrong" (when, frankly, they have probably heard enough of that in their lifetime and don't need to hear it from you).

So if you were still wondering why no one left it alone, that's why. However, relating back to the protest, you never really gave a legitimate reason for disrupting the silence.

Owned.

I don't see how being silent for people who like the same gender as themselves proves or solves anything. If people want to be losers and pretend they know it all by making fun of gays, trans, lesbians, whatever, then that's their stupidity and one day that's going to come back and bite them in the ass. That's just that.

I love gay people, I really do. They're (most of the time) friendly and really get involved with stuff, and I support gay marriage. But I'm not going to be silent for them because to be honest it's a topic that needs people fighting for it, not being silent.

Well being silent would make people ask why you are being silent. Then you show the piece of paper, and they read it. Sometimes being silent is just an effective if not more effective way than shouting through a megaphone.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I don't think we're going to have one at my school this year but if we do I'll be silent outside of class but I would have to speak in class because most classes grade on participation, but I'd only speak during class discussion or when the teacher asks me a question.

I understand the concept. It's a non-violent protest. History has shown non-violent protests to be much more effective than violent ones.
    Unfortunately, when the usual homophobes see pro-homo rallies and people protesting they just brush them off as "silly queers" or words to that effect.
    If they see lots of people being silent for that same cause they may even see some people they care dearly for participating and they won't just write them off as "silly queers".

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    I don't think we're going to have one at my school this year but if we do I'll be silent outside of class but I would have to speak in class because most classes grade on participation, but I'd only speak during class discussion or when the teacher asks me a question.

I understand the concept. It's a non-violent protest. History has shown non-violent protests to be much more effective than violent ones.
    Unfortunately, when the usual homophobes see pro-homo rallies and people protesting they just brush them off as "silly queers" or words to that effect.
    If they see lots of people being silent for that same cause they may even see some people they care dearly for participating and they won't just write them off as "silly queers".
    dont talk in the future tense. it was last friday.

i did it at my school. a lot of people did it at my school too!! i was happy.

i actually got my entire french class to do it so we didnt have to do oral excercises!! muahahahaha

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • I took part in it, but on the 14th, not the 16th.
    Sure, it seems silly and counter-productive, but it's really trying to make a point.

but a lot of people who bully and try to make you talk on that day are actually being extremely disrespectful to the point.
    and deserve to be Gibbs-slapped. >:O

But anyway,
    homophobes suck, go gay rights. Woo.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I think the reason why people argued against you (other than the fact that the point of posting something like what you posted is pretty much to start a debate) is that you had a very opinionated statement and you referred to the logic used to indicate that gay people are born gay as "sick" (despite the fact that it has been scientifically proven and that, even if homosexuality is something that occurs because of a series of events over one's childhood, it's not the person's own doing).

Testing how much they truly supported this vow. Also the African American thing was a reply of someone who said that gays are suffering the same way blacks did.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    dont talk in the future tense. it was last friday.

i did it at my school. a lot of people did it at my school too!! i was happy.

i actually got my entire french class to do it so we didnt have to do oral excercises!! muahahahaha

It might have been last Friday where you live but here it's whenever the Student Body Council approves it to be. If we get clearance from the Student Gov't the teachers might have to respect it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011

A lot of the more famous protests were non-violent. Remember the sit-down. A lot of African Americans sat down at restaurants, and wouldn't leave, and wouldn't buy anything until they let them come in and eat. :D

I wish more people in Oklahoma supported, so we wouldn't have to do those in my Spanish class.

homophobics suck, go gay rights. Woo.

I agree.

Years
  • I did the Day of Silence the past couple of years at my high school, but this year I'm in college and my only Friday class was canceled. There really would have been no point in participating by myself at home. XD

I think it does raise awareness of the issues, though. At least it did at my already pretty gay-friendly school.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    It might have been last Friday where you live but here it's whenever the Student Body Council approves it to be. If we get clearance from the Student Gov't the teachers might have to respect it.
    it's an internationally set date.

the date does not vary.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • it's an internationally set date.

the date does not vary.

While it is an internationally set date, lots of high schools end up observing it at later dates, because of getting it approved by the school council etc. Because we're high schoolers and don't plan ahead. lol

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    it's an internationally set date.

the date does not vary.

While it is an internationally set date, lots of high schools end up observing it at later dates, because of getting it approved by the school council etc. Because we're high schoolers and don't plan ahead. lol

Well I'm in college and most teachers grade on participation so having some sort of legitmacy behind your silence like Student Gov't approval or even better approval from the school administration is a must. This is neccessary so as not to risk scholastic penalty.

{NM}Redwolf

Rebels against the God
    Years
  • But anyway,
    homophobes suck, go gay rights. Woo.
    REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.

Trope

Protéger just au matin~Féerie!
    Years
  • I think no one does it here in Belgium, since same sex marriage is legal here... We do the silent thing to remember drunk driving accidents tho.

Gotta love my country. <3 Sometimes.

Last edited:

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I support what the Day of Silence stands for and all, I just find it pointless to be silent. If anything it just makes all those homophobic, right-wing conservatives think "Thank God, the gays are finally shutting up for a day."

Back