• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Death Note

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
    @ Above post:

Spoiler alert.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ah, I just finished watching the anime today! I thought it would be better to not go into this thread before I finished. I can safely say this is one of the best programmes I have ever watched!

I didn't mind so much when L died, I thought it was kinda sad, but not really. I got annoyed when Near came in though, he seemed too much like an L copycat, so I was happy when Light recognised that L was better. Did we ever learn what L's real name was? I can't remember.

Spoiler:

I watched the first few episodes in Japanese first and when I first heard the voices in English *about* 14 episodes in (couldn't find it in Japanese anyway) I thought the dub made Light's voice sound purposefully evil, which I really did not like. I also thought they were going over the top and yelling too much at one point in the episode, but that may just have been me. I definatly prefer the Japanese Light. Oh, and I love Ryuk's laugh!

Last edited:

Mainichi

ショボショボ
    Years
    Spoiler:

Anyways, Death Note IS definitely the best anime I have ever watched, and will remain my favorite for a very long time, if not ever.

I have become a new-found Mello/Matt fangirl someone hit me with a stick.

Dewey, people call me Dewey in other internet places too. xD Hope we don't get mixed up anywhere.

Years
    Ooh, you people have vindicated my theory about utilitarianism and Death Note. It's actually quite startling that so many people 'support' Light in Death Note, but it's a definite example of utilitarianism - the theory that the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people should always be pursued. Light's aim of creating a completely 'good' world justifies his terrible, terrible acts (that is, under act utilitarianism), and people actually sympathise with this - I should know, as I do myself in a way. And on the obverse, we begin to despise the actions of L, the Kira Investigation Team and the SPK, despite the fact that they actively pursue the ideal of justice, rather than the flawed, nihilistic notion of justice that Kira and his supporters hold. I believe the angle that Ohba and Obata wanted the reader to come from was pretty close to that of Matsuda. He shows much indecision over the course of Death Note, and one almost gets the impression that his actions in the finale could have gone either way. Ultimately, however, he does side with the ideal justice, and this is probably what Ohba and Obata wanted with their readers. What they wanted, however, was not what they got. =/

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    I completely agree with what Erebus has said, especially concerning the role of Matsuda's character in the story. Although to be honest, I was one of those people who sided with L throughout the entire series. xD;

Death Note was definitely a great animé, most definitely the best I've seen. The constant psychological battle between the two sides, was consistently well-written throughout the entirety of the series. As Erebus has mentioned, the way that the main characters represent different perspectives on justice was was simply wonderful, not to mention extremely well-executed.

As for the discussion on "Original vs Dub", I only watched the original Japanese version, so I can't really say which was better. I must say though, the voices were all well-suited to the characters in the Japanese version.

Mainichi

ショボショボ
    Years
    Erebus you are good at explaining things. I'm sure that Ohba and Obata did not want you to side with Light, or Kira, but neenee tons of people sure did. Although, I kinda went with L and the three. I started out almost liking Light actually, and then I just... didn't. I started hating him.

Spoiler:

Angenesis said:
    the way that the main characters represent different perspectives on justice was was simply wonderful, not to mention extremely well-executed.
    Oh, completely. Really gives every reader a part in the story. More like every readers' perspective in the story.

And about the voices in the original dub, I agree, every voice fit just perfect. Especially Near's. =w=

thatrabidfangirl

*sweatdrops*
    Years
    Death Note is the very reason I a) am a rabid fangirl, and b) got into manga in the first place. I just blobbed around with the odd episode of Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura before that :(. I love it so much! *hugs*

dewey

Anime Addict
    Years
    but really. how could you not help but side with light D:

i would have been fine if light lost to the original L.
    but to near...thats lame.

Sorano

幸福☆
    Years
    Honestly, after L died, I stopped reading the manga. XD; I have up to volume 9 and I still haven't read it yet. I was completely disappointed, since he was my favourite part of the manga, and the only reason I started reading it. After he died, I found myself not being able to keep myself interested in the whole series.

However, that aside.. although L died, Death Note is extremely well written and thought out. It's amazing, really. Maybe someday I'll be motivated to actually finish it.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    I wanted them to show Misa on top of the building like they did in the anime, actually. Or maybe at least her coffin or something. Anything.
    After L, everything got wordy and complicated and, actually, sort of dumb. The Near/Mello arc just got sort of boring.

Gewitterdrache27

Means Tempest Dragon
    Years
    The only death I really hated was L's. L was the coolest character in death note... But I guess they 'had' to get rid of him for the plot to continue... Still, I think that the 'sudden death' factor is really essential to the story.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2009
    Ahh, I will always love Death Note. :] L <333

it was the first anime I watched when I actually knew what anime was xD
    haha, I mean, the only ones I'd seen before was Sailor Moon and Pokémon when I was much younger ^^
    So Death Note was what really got me into anime. >w<

so it will always be special to me I guess.
    meh, now this makes me want to watch it again... for the third time xD I know, Im sad.. xD

dewey

Anime Addict
    Years
    lol u mention beyond birthday i just bought the book last night :D

still reading through though, more on that after im done with it tho

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    SO WHAT DO YOU LOVELY PEOPLE THINK ABOUT BB (Beyond Birthday)

I think he's cool. >:)

Beyond Birthday is basically the best character despite being part of a spin-off. That might just be because I like psychotic killers, I really don't know (lawl, I seriously the read the book in less than a day just to read the last scene). Also because he seriously over-thinked the whole thing just for a little competition.

dewey

Anime Addict
    Years
    did beyond birthday actually meet L face to face? does it explain it in the book and i have to read on farther? or does it not say?

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    did beyond birthday actually meet L face to face? does it explain it in the book and i have to read on farther? or does it not say?

If I remember correctly (can't check the book, a friend's borrowing it), then I think it does explain that B and L met in Whammy's House. B was another one of those attempting to succeed L. Pretty sure on that. I think it says it somewhere.

dewey

Anime Addict
    Years
    how old is L supposed to be during this story anyway? early twenties im assuming
    and i know B was trained to be his successor (before mello/near). but i wasnt sure if they actually met face to face

Back