• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate: Should the battle system change?

turn-based or real-time?

• turn-based, you can't mess with tradition!!

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • real-time, it'll make the game a bit more realistic!!

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I'll need a little more info before I vote...

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Let's make D/P first person shooters!! *obligatory joke option...*

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    This is a fierce debate at GameFAQS, so I thought I'd bring it here (aren't I such a nice person?).

Should D/P keep the traditional turn-based battle system or opt for a different real-time battle system?

Last edited:

SRV

Years
    • Age 34
    • N.B.
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Hmm. Hard. I do like the turn based moves, but it'd be cool if they made it like the show sort of. I don't really watch it but, you know what I mean. One pokemon uses a move, then the other trainer decides which move to counter it with.

NiNGi's Worst Nightmare

*sparkle sparkle*
    Years
    I like the turn-based way, but real time would be awsome. I can only see one flaw in it: increased double KOs. If Pokemon attack at the same with moves powerful enough to KO each other, there's no winner and no EXP. Turn-based gives you one solid winner every time (excluding Selfdestruct, Explsion, etc. that are MEANT for both Pokemon to KO.)
    Real-time gives cool counter options, though. This is both good and bad. If there's nothing but counters in a battle, it could last until both Pokemon have no moves left. Since this is a game, however, the Pokemon won't get tired and can even counter each other's Struggles. On the bright side, it would give the games a more realistic effect.
    I'd say yes to real-time on games like XD and the Stadium games, but no on handheld games. It would be harder to do on those, and with how the Pokemon are placed you can barely see the counter anyway. Do that with a 3D game, and oyu've got something great.

Wow...I sound smart...

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Dunno really... the real time would be battle system would be cool but, I don't know how that would really work...

Kitsune_girl

I am ninja hear me roar!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Mew?
    • Seen Sep 1, 2008
    I like the Turned based system, it made pokemon more of a stratagy game. However, I would like to see A pokemon game try real time, It could be pretty cool I guess.

AbareMax

Your Italian Pok?mon Fan!
    Years
    A real time battle system would take more strategy, yet probably much harder to make with such a large database of Pok?mon. Seriously, I think you should be able to choose which Pok?mon to come into battle first, when the battle actually starts.

AbareMax

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    3rd option chosen because I'm tied. Turn-based for the gameboy games (as RT RPGs are REALLY hard to do correctly), but for 3rd capable machines, I'm all for ToS-style RT fighting.

Champion Taylor

PokeTrainer
    Years
    I agree with the above poster. But for real-time they would have to do stuff like A button is the first attack, B is second attack, X is third Pok?mon attack, ect.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    I think if it is 2d it should be turn and if they go out on a limb and make it 3d I say RT would own

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    Champion Taylor said:
    I agree with the above poster. But for real-time they would have to do stuff like A button is the first attack, B is second attack, X is third Pok?mon attack, ect.
    Don't limit yourself. Let's look at the GCN's controls.

Control Stick: Movement
    A: Normal attacks (Unlimited PP)
    B: Special attacks (limited to four moves; directional, needs PP)
    X: Switch Pokemon for next in line
    Y: Menu
    L: Duck
    R: Jump
    Z: Call
    C-Stick: Camera

Just an example.

danielthmaniel

???-Confused-???
    Years
    Personaly, I would thing "real time" would be better. Although the wy I can think of it is adding on some basic "counter" moves that vary within each pokemon, but do not actualy take up any of the four move slots. Also perhaps an "Energy" bar that goes down as the battle continues, slowing their movement. I think that with a few tweaks it could work.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Bliksem said:
    3rd option chosen because I'm tied. Turn-based for the gameboy games (as RT RPGs are REALLY hard to do correctly), but for 3rd capable machines, I'm all for ToS-style RT fighting.
    Same. The old Tales linear battle system for the previous Tales games would work fine, if not better, on the DS. It would even open up stuff like all-out 6 on 6 battles if Nintendo could develop a decent AI.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I'd rather stick with the traditional battle system.
    If Pokemon was a real-time action game, then I think it will no longer be Pokemon anymore.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    As a traditionalist, there are just some parts of the gam that must remain constant throughout the series, and turn-based combat is one of those things. It is a staple of the Pokemon series and it would be a completely different game if taken out.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Even though i like the turn based battle system, i would like a real time battle system, however, it would feel less like a rpg and more like a action game.If they do make a real time battle system, it could be like SSBM, ToS, or Star Ocean 3.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    I'd rather see a real time battle system tested out on one of the Stadium/Colloseum first. Jumping ahead and making D/P a real time battle system would be a huge mistake, IMO. See how it works out on one of the spin off games and if it proves successful, use it in the games after D/P. Because, by then, the Pokemon series is going to need a new lease of life and a new battle system could do it. The handheld Pokemon world just isn't ready for it yet though.

Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 11, 2005
    I don't care what that battle systems is I just want something new. turn based is getting old.

Back