• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DENN - ecotage, political turbulence, sightseeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    { https://www.wellsfargohistory.com/stagecoach/stageimages/sc_idx_stagecoach.gif

That's what a stagecoach is like, probably. The two benches on the inside face each other, and all seats have a window view.

No one leave yet! Samantha's forgotten her bike. :B It's tied to the rail where the horses are. }

Discomposed by Rein's "greetings," Samantha blushed and tossed her head in a consciously haughty gesture. Her long hair flew past his face. Hopefully it got him on the nose, she thought, turned to follow sensible Riley into the cab, but was intercepted by the driver.

He motioned to the heavy backpack that she was carrying off one shoulder. Samantha didn't seem to understand. "Let me take that for you," he insisted, and pointed to the upper racks of the stagecoach where luggage could be fastened down. Samantha hurriedly shook her head with a panicked look. "I couldn't," she blurted, "All my things are in there." The driver laughed dismissively. "As you like." He looked in to where Riley was sitting. "How bout you, little lady?"

Samantha took her chance to slip through the doorway and settle down on the padded bench across from Riley. She gave her a smile and immediately began fixing her makeup, lipgloss, powder, the whole kit and caboodle. She was glad her backpack was under the bench and not on the racks above - that was where her hairbrush was, and how could she do without that?

Meanwhile, Marcus arrived, entered the inn, and came out again with a ticket in hand. Samantha watched him through the window, her green eyes wide with interest.

Last edited:

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    Marcus stared at the proffered hand for a couple seconds, vivid expressions flashing through his eyes - first confusion, then open wariness, and then a surge of embarrassment over his bald suspicion. It happened very quickly and he averted his eyes from the other's, but he still felt uneasy in the presence of this strange and clear-eyed young man.

"Oh - no, no thanks, I've got it," he stammered, lifting the suitcase and quickly edging past Reinhold - brushing rather abruptly past the carriage driver in the process - to slide as gracefully as he could into the coach. The interior was not especially roomy, but he managed to lift his suitcase high enough so as not to jostle the two already seated inside. He took a seat next to a girl who seemed about his age, fitting his suitcase (it may have been heavy, but it didn't take up too much space) between his feet and his satchel on his lap.

He found himself feeling strangely flustered - maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the semi-awkward encounter he'd had with the boy outside. Whatever the case, he felt out of his element and not a little apprehensive about the journey ahead. He removed his cap, briefly running a hand through his damp hair and flashing a nervous smile at the woman seated across from him - a freckled brunette who appeared to be about in her twenties.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    OOC: I did it! I finally finished my essay AND my post =). Sorry for the delay, guys.

"Oh- no, no thanks, I've got it." Rein heard the distinct reply from the other boy, now clearly flustered from the encounter. How… flustered. I know I usually make people nervous, but two people IN A ROW? Not a new record, but something to take note of… mm. He chuckled to himself, and thinking, he walked a few steps towards the coach –

And bumped into the burly driver. Wearing a tall leather hat and a Texan moustache, the stubble-chinned man looked almost intimidating when he chewed on that cigar. Rein casually glanced at the driver.

"Would ye p'raps care to put yer luggage in th' back?" The man somehow managed to grimace, smile scarily, and look tough at the same time. He removed his chewed cigar from his mouth, and casually passed it from the right to the left. "So? Which is it to be?"

Braggart. A thief and a braggart, probably. Not one to be trusted with my possessions, that's sure. Rein smiled fiercely back in his own right, and glared with force at the driver. "Unfortunately, sir, I will not be forced to employ your services today other than the use of the stagecoach, which the office has kindly granted for a nominal fee. I will carry my possessions my self, thank you very much." Putting the words into a serious tone and an imitation British accent, Rein said this to the driver. With nary a thought, he stepped into the stagecoach – taking over the space of the last quarter of the stagecoach – and sat down, still grinning mischievously and waving to the rest of the occupants of the stagecoach.The shade pacified him slightly, but he was still impatient. One would have thought that a stagecoach with four Rapidash pulling it would be faster than the speed it currently is..

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    { Rofl. The driver had a sort of Southern accent at first. What is it now? Jolly Scottish?

I hope we can agree on a 'general vision' regarding NPCs, especially when they hang around for a while, as the driver will. He was meant to be fairly neutral, noncommittal and unhelpful, but capable (going through the forest isn't a task for everybody) and fairly talkative once he got going. I'm not sure I know what you guys are doing.

I'll give Celuthea a nudge. }

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    {Sorry, my dog had to be put down on Tuesday, so internet fell of the earth. But I'm back and ready to go exploring!}

Riley nodded in agreement to the drivers question, remembering to pull the packet of sweets from the pocket before the bag disappeared from her sight. She offered them around to the other three people in the coach and took one for herself before putting the pack into her pocket. "At least it's a good day for the travelling," she said to no one in particular, watching as the driver finished his preparations for their imminent departure.

She sighed and lent back against the comfortable seating, her mind wandering to her father for a few minutes. She hoped she could save him from his prison, but right then, the whole thing seemed so far distant that she could not imagine the moment when he walked free. She risked a glance around, noting the little quirks of her companions and wondering why they were travelling through the forest, manufacturing stories about them in her head as she looked around. If anyone caught her gaze she would give a strange smile and look away, wondering her life away as ever.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    { That's terrible, Ozy. D: My condolences.

Long post is long! Sorry for the absence. If anyone thinks that things are moving too slow, tell me. Embelleshing visuals is my favourite pastime.

Hm. I think the 'carriage' may actually be a 'covered wagon'. -kicks self- }

The driver had nothing to reply to Rein, merely cocking his hat and retreating into his own comfortable existence. Wordlessly, he took Riley's luggage, swung it onto the roof of the carriage, and momentarily secured it, pulling the leather straps tight. It looked rather lonely up there.

Rein made Samantha nervous. She glanced once at him and looked away, anxiously running her fingers through her wavy hair, straightening out the knots. The front of the inn was directly in her line of sight through the window, and her vision, straying, slowly came to a halt on the bike tied to the railing in front. It was her bike.

Samantha jumped out of her seat, nearly striking her head on the ceiling. The cabin rocked as she dashed out of the open doors, throwing out hastily, "Don't leave...! I'll be right back!" She was under the impression that the driver would perversely ignore her absense and clop merrily down the street, leaving her to run after the carriage. Kneeling in the dust by the inn's entrance, folding up the aluminum bike, she kept glancing up at the driver. He was waiting by the quartet of Rapidash with an unreadable expression and took the folded bike that she sheepishly handed to him without comment. The bike, too, was lashed to the top of the carriage. Now they were ready to leave.

The driver filled the entrance and took a moment to introduce himself to the company. He spoke in a languid drawl, his eyes hidden behind opaque black sunglasses. "Name's Mike Olson. You can just call me 'the Driver'. We'll be headed through the Deep Dark Forest in just a moment. The trip will take around ten, maybe nine-and-a-half hours, depending on the weather and abundance of wild Pokemon. I trust you've all visited the facilities. Rest stops can be called at any time. We are going through a rather dangerous area, so please keep all limbs inside the carriage at all times. The windows can be unlatched, but they don't open all the way. If anyone gets motion sick, do your fellow passengers a favour, call for a stop. Oh, one last thing. I don't want to see Pokemon in the carriage. They mess up the seats. Invisible animals only. Any questions? Alright then."

He took his seat at the front, shook the reins, and they were off, clip-clopping down the street. Ahead was the forest, a heavy, dark line on the horizon, dipping in and out of sight as the road dipped and turned. They rode through the outskirts of the town, passing sun-shocked people with straw hats and open, panting mouths. Cement gave way to gravel, which narrowed and gave way to a bitter grey dust amidst wooden shacks and hens clustering by fences. The street was now wide enough for only one vehicle and almost deserted. The carriage picked up speed passing through the no man's land of spindly young trees and waist-high weeds in proliferation. The forest met them head-on. It looked just like a normal forest, Samantha thought, except that it stretched to either side like an arrow until the trees blended into the distance. It seemed to breathe out coolness. The sign beside the sharp delineation between forest and scrub read "You are now entering the Deep Dark Forest". It was covered with obsceneties.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    Marcus watched the girl who was seated next to him rush out to retrieve her bike. This made him wonder if he'd forgotten anything, and he started constructing and marking a mental checklist. That distracted him for a few minutes, but as the driver began his introductory speech, he felt the familiar bubbling in his stomach begin. His teeth trembled as though they wanted to chatter, but he held them in control carefully. These could have been the symptoms of someone excited in a positive way about leaving, but Marcus had to admit he really wasn't. Just extremely nervous and dreading the unknown, as always.

He sat in silence as they moved off, watching the scenery morph into a more rural setting before his very eyes. It made him think of layers being pulled off of an onion, of strata, geology and canyon walls. He let that train of thought carry him for a while, but it brought him back to the thought of college, which jerked him back to the present. The sign denoting the entrance to the Forest, and the thick mass of trees itself, were looming into view.

He felt like he needed to say something, so he did, his voice coming out a little bit higher-pitched than he would have liked. "It's bigger than I expected."

This was directed at no one in particular, but he tried to make it as light and open-sounding as possible, perhaps to spark conversation.

Meister

A leak has sprung !!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2013
    {I hope I can still join, here is my Sign up... }
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    {Thanks, Rabbit! It was really sad, I miss him loads - he was my DS buddy! But it's okay, we're looking for another}

Riley glanced up and smiled at Marcus, sensing the nervousness in his voice at the pitch that was boardering on supersonic. "Yeah, the coaches are bigger on the inside than the outside. Surprising, really," she replied conversationally, then leant forward and offered him the bag of Oran sweets. "Here, have one of these. It'll make you feel better," she told him, saying it like she was an expert. Riley was good at pretending to know a lot about everything, and knowing very little about nothing.

She then offered the sweets around to everyone again, before sitting back in her seat, popping a sweet in her mouth and looking out of the window. She was apprehensive herself at going into the Deep Dark Forest; so many people told her horror stories of what could happen in there, and she sometimes let her imagination run away with her, preventing any form of rationalisation of the fear. She took a deep breath and focussed on her father, thinking of times when she was a child that he had rescued her from rogue pokémon, mean children or unfair events, and she forced herself to concentrate on repaying the favour.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back