• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Design-a-Pokémon Contest

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Since the GT8 is being extended until Thursday, is there any chance the deadline for this event can be extended just a little bit longer? I missed the event closing last night because it was almost 3:30 AM, a time I'm normally asleep. I'm a little disappointed that I put so much effort into the pixel art and idea only to not be able to finish it because I wasn't aware when the event was going to close (I had planned to finish it today, the 18th).

Since you were the only one who wasn't finished and noted it in your post that you were still working on it, and the fact that the even closed suddenly when you were asleep, you can finish your Pokemon by 9:30 PM GMT -6, which gives you a good 6 hours to add whatever else you need. I personally think that you stood a chance if your entry was finished, and since I think that the judging should be fair you have my permission to finish it.

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
Spoiler:

Sorry for being late, but i didn't know when they were ending until well, now. :s

Also I did say that I would make one but my sprite would suck... I won't beable to get on another computer till tomorrow and I kinda overslept so I had to wait a while... I will be over looking all of this throught the Wii thoguh.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Since you were the only one who wasn't finished and noted it in your post that you were still working on it, and the fact that the even closed suddenly when you were asleep, you can finish your Pokemon by 9:30 PM GMT -6, which gives you a good 6 hours to add whatever else you need. I personally think that you stood a chance if your entry was finished, and since I think that the judging should be fair you have my permission to finish it.

I appreciate the opportunity. I won't waste it!

My entry is finished.

Last edited:

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Sorry about being so late, but i'm about to update the graphics. I only found out about an hour after the deadline. Please give me as much notice as possible next time....

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Sorry guys for the rush but it had to be done, but yes if you explain your case of course you can have extended time. :>

Edit: Oh and I can't just message everybody it will take too long. It just naturally required that you check up on the compeition thread for updates. I understand your time difference and that it was unexpected but it's your job as a participant to check up on these things now and then.

And oh, but doesn't it state in the opening post what time the dealine closed? So really some people saying that they didn't know, sort of proves that you haven't read it. :x I mean, if you read the introductory post it explains the dealines. Plus, our mistake regarding the deadline gave you guys extra time so.. really there shouldn't be no complaints.

Last edited:

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
Looking at the entries and I don't think I could make 3rd place. T.T Also the entry I put in is actually a little hint on the game I will be designing... the rest is a secret. ;)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Splendid. I just have to receive the results from deku and we're all set to announce the winner etc.
Haha; so far it is really close. MANY people are tied on similar positions and on a few positionss themselves too! ;D

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Splendid. I just have to receive the results from deku and we're all set to announce the winner etc.
Haha; so far it is really close. MANY people are tied on similar positions and on a few positionss themselves too! ;D

I posted my thoughts in the planning thread a couple of days ago :/

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
I'm not sure if I can still post this..?

I made this a few weeks back. I hope you guys like it!

Spoiler:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
When will the results be shown?! You gave me hope when you said that the score were about done. No rush, I am just expressing my anxious impatience when it comes to contests! Good luck everyone; with all the great entries I am sure this will be tough to judge.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I know, please be patient we still have a week afterward to announce the winners. And sorry deku I haven't checked the planning thread.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Don't worry I promise not to nag you guys anymore! lol

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Spoiler:

Statement: Leafoule is based off of the peacock. Its name is a portmanteau of the words "leaf" and "foul" and is a play on the word "peafowl". Its overall demeanor is condescending and rude (hence the "Pompous Pokemon"). It believes that it is superior to any foe it fights, and will do anything to annoy the foe, but also evade its attacks (hence things like Sand-Attack and Smokescreen, plus the ACC lowering Leaf Tornado). Its fighting style most often involves wind-based attacks, which is why it learns so many of them. It seldom enters melee combat (hence its low bDEF stat), but is able to use its leaves as swords when needed. The two attacks that are listed on its start in italics (Leaf Tornado and Twister) are not found on wild Leafoule.

Its signature moves include Lava Plume (which is a play on bird plumes, as in feathers) and Leaf Storm, which it learns very late in the game. When it uses Lava Plume, it lifts its leafy tail closed above its body and then quickly fans it out, releasing a burst of fire in every direction. When it uses Leaf Storm / Leaf Tornado, it appears like it is using Whirlwind, except it holds its tail out in front of it and blows the leaves along with the foe.

Competitively, it is obviously intended to be a sweeper. It has low defenses and average SPE with slightly above average ATK and high SpATK. Since its signature moves are both Special, it is ideal as a Choice sweeper or one under the sun. Chlorophyll boosts its speed to a very high level. With an arsenal of Leaf Storm, Lava Plume, Air Slash, Silver Wind, Heat Wave, and SolarBeam, it's a force to be reckoned with. However, it is also able to learn Swords Dance, plus Brave Bird, Quick Attack, Return, Flame Charge, and Leaf Blade, making it somewhat of a hybrid of Leafeon and Staraptor. Flame Charge is notable for being able to raise its average SPE, while its Dream World Ability, Moxie, can be used when not using Sunny Day.

It has Flash Fire because... Well, imagine using a Fire-type attack on it, and then setting its leaves on fire. It already sets its own leaves on fire when it attacks! That'll just make it stronger! If you're not going for the all-out route (and you plan to have Leafoule survive longer), then Flash Fire is the way to go.

In its Egg Moves, I added Air Slash and Brave Bird for extra coverage (since I couldn't afford room to add a third type to its main moveset). Then, I added Heat Wave and Silver Wind, some popular unconventional bird moves from past games. Roost and FeatherDance were added for utility.

For TMs, it has a pretty standard TM set. It knows Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Frustration, and Return, like most other fully evolved Pokemon. Here I also gave it Swords Dance for its Physical set, and SolarBeam for the sun. Notably, it's a Fire-type that can't learn Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Incinerate. I took these moves out of its moveset because I wanted to put an emphasis on Lava Plume and Heat Wave (plus, I didn't want my bird to be breathing fire). Sandstorm was added here more for and anime thing. It will use it to deflect ranged attacks and blind the foe, like a more powerful version of Sandstorm.

So, as a Grass- / Fire-type hybrid, it can't perform as well as both sides. It can't breathe continuous streams of fire, but it can blow short streams of it with its wings. It can't shoot balls of energy or control wood / nature, but it can harness leaves. It's not a flowery bird, and it's rather unpleasant.

Last edited:

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
Years
  • Age 26
  • MD
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Was my entry accepted? I really wanna know, and it took me like 2 hours to do.

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
Spoiler:

Statement: Leafoule is based off of the peacock. Its name is a portmanteau of the words "leaf" and "foul" and is a play on the word "peafowl". Its overall demeanor is condescending and rude (hence the "Pompous Pokemon"). It believes that it is superior to any foe it fights, and will do anything to annoy the foe, but also evade its attacks (hence things like Sand-Attack and Smokescreen, plus the ACC lowering Leaf Tornado). Its fighting style most often involves wind-based attacks, which is why it learns so many of them. It seldom enters melee combat (hence its low bDEF stat), but is able to use its leaves as swords when needed. The two attacks that are listed on its start in italics (Leaf Tornado and Twister) are not found on wild Leafoule.

Its signature moves include Lava Plume (which is a play on bird plumes, as in feathers) and Leaf Storm, which it learns very late in the game. When it uses Lava Plume, it lifts its leafy tail closed above its body and then quickly fans it out, releasing a burst of fire in every direction. When it uses Leaf Storm / Leaf Tornado, it appears like it is using Whirlwind, except it holds its tail out in front of it and blows the leaves along with the foe.

Competitively, it is obviously intended to be a sweeper. It has low defenses and average SPE with slightly above average ATK and high SpATK. Since its signature moves are both Special, it is ideal as a Choice sweeper or one under the sun. Chlorophyll boosts its speed to a very high level. With an arsenal of Leaf Storm, Lava Plume, Air Slash, Silver Wind, Heat Wave, and SolarBeam, it's a force to be reckoned with. However, it is also able to learn Swords Dance, plus Brave Bird, Quick Attack, Return, Flame Charge, and Leaf Blade, making it somewhat of a hybrid of Leafeon and Staraptor. Flame Charge is notable for being able to raise its average SPE, while its Dream World Ability, Moxie, can be used when not using Sunny Day.

It has Flash Fire because... Well, imagine using a Fire-type attack on it, and then setting its leaves on fire. It already sets its own leaves on fire when it attacks! That'll just make it stronger! If you're not going for the all-out route (and you plan to have Leafoule survive longer), then Flash Fire is the way to go.

In its Egg Moves, I added Air Slash and Brave Bird for extra coverage (since I couldn't afford room to add a third type to its main moveset). Then, I added Heat Wave and Silver Wind, some popular unconventional bird moves from past games. Roost and FeatherDance were added for utility.

For TMs, it has a pretty standard TM set. It knows Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Frustration, and Return, like most other fully evolved Pokemon. Here I also gave it Swords Dance for its Physical set, and SolarBeam for the sun. Notably, it's a Fire-type that can't learn Flamethrower, Fire Blast, or Incinerate. I took these moves out of its moveset because I wanted to put an emphasis on Lava Plume and Heat Wave (plus, I didn't want my bird to be breathing fire). Sandstorm was added here more for and anime thing. It will use it to deflect ranged attacks and blind the foe, like a more powerful version of Sandstorm.

So, as a Grass- / Fire-type hybrid, it can't perform as well as both sides. It can't breathe continuous streams of fire, but it can blow short streams of it with its wings. It can't shoot balls of energy or control wood / nature, but it can harness leaves. It's not a flowery bird, and it's rather unpleasant.

I'm not sure if I can still post this..?

I made this a few weeks back. I hope you guys like it!

Spoiler:

The deadline already ended, read the earlier posts.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Was my entry accepted? I really wanna know, and it took me like 2 hours to do.
If you didn't state that you were going to post it later or provide a proper reason then no unfortunately. But there will most likely be another 'CaP' next time we hold events/a get together so sticka round for that! As I do have to deny Gymnotide I do infortunately have to deny you. However, you will receive a participation emblem for you effort. (Which I think is fair...but...)

Anyway guys here are the results!

Design-a-Pokemon Contest Results
"Oh my god.. RESULTS! :D"

First off on behalf of myself, deku and Zeffy we all thankyou for participating and kaing this year's competition a one to remember. We had some outstanding entries; beautiful CSS, detailed sprites, intricate pokemon descriptions and most importantly a tsunami of talent and creativity.

Now, I know you guys are anxious to hear the results, now after the judges scores were added the places became thinner and finally stretched out. But just as a note: certain places were .5 of a point close to eachother so just think of how close it was. (From participant to 3rd to Second.)

Alright here they are:

In third place we have:

Spoiler:

In Second place we have:
Spoiler:

Aaaand for the winner of GT8's Design-a-Pokemon Compeition is...

Spoiler:

Honorable Mentions.

Spoiler:

We'd also like to give a big shout out too all participants and congratulate their efforts you'll be receiving an emblem don't forget; too!:​

Spoiler:

If you're name isn't on the list just pm me.
Thanks for participating and we hope you had fun.
Until next time.. that's all folks!​

Oh and pssst, this thread will stay open for discussion and if you'd like to know your score just pm me. ;)

Last edited:
Back