• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Design-a-Pokémon Contest

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
ABOUT
In this event participants will create their very own Pokémon! They will decide on their Pokémon's type, base stats, ability, design, moveset, name, and Pokédex entry among many other things. Once the participants have finished designing their Pokémon - details and all- they will submit it to be judged to decide the winners.

THE DESIGN-A-POKÉMON TEAM
These are the people that helped put this event together. Hosts will answer any questions and help out any participants, while judges will score all of the entries to decide on the winners. Without them, this thread wouldn't be here right now.
deku - Event Host and Judge
Curious. - Event Host and Judge
Zeffy - Event Judge

PRIZES
There will be first place, second place, third place, and participation emblems handed out to the winners and participants.

HOW THIS EVENT WILL WORK
There are many different aspects that need to be completed before you can submit your Pokémon. Every aspect will be divided into four main groups: Essentials, Breeding and Training Information, Flavor, and Moveset. Below, you will see sections with these headings where you will find information on how to complete each of these sections.
This year, there will also be a theme! You are not required to follow the theme, but you will get bonus points if you choose to do so. More information about this years theme is below.
Once you have figured out everything about your Pokémon, you will put it into a specific format (which will be detailed below) and post it here for judging.
Entry submission will take place from now (when you thread is first posted) through 11:00 AM July 16 (GMT -6). You can begin submitting as soon as you see this post, and there will be a post by a host when the submission period is closed (for those who are confused by times and time zones). Once submissions are closed, judging will take place and the results will be posted as soon as possible.

THEME
This Get-Together, there is going to be something new for the Design-a-Pokémon Contest: a theme. You do not have to follow the theme, but if you do you will receive bonus points. This years theme is to base your Pokemon off of something no Pokemon is based off of yet. This Get-Together, you can also get bonus points if you make an evolution of a certain existing Pokemon, which you will have to figure out for yourself!

THE ESSENTIALS
Name:
Every Pokémon needs a good name! Try to be creative with it, but don't go too crazy! Most Pokémon's names' are a mixture of different things that the Pokémon is based off of. For example, 'Snivy' comes from the words 'Snake' and 'Ivy', which makes sense because Snivy is a leafy (ivy) snake Pokemon.​

Type:
One of the most basic aspects of every Pokémon is their type. A Pokémon's type is the basis of what it may look like, it's abilities, and a plethora of other things. Some Pokémon even have dual-types, which means they have two types, such Pignite being both the Fire and Fighting type. When thinking of a type to give your Pokémon, consider what you want it to look like. If you want to keep it simple, stick with just one type, but if you want to be creative and unique, come up with a dual-type that no Pokémon has.​

Evolution:
One of the key things that makes a Pokémon a Pokémon is the ability to evolve. Not all Pokémon evolve, but it is one of the aspects that makes Pokémon different from anything else. You do not have to give your Pokémon an evolution or pre-evolution, but if you want to, consider these questions: Is there room for your Pokémon evolve into a bigger, stronger form? Do you think your Pokémon is in need of a baby form because it is stronger than most other basic Pokémon? Do you want your Pokémon to evolve once, or twice? How will it evolve? Does it evolve into or from an existing Pokémon? If you choose to have your Pokémon evolve, remember that there is a baby form (such as Riolu), a basic form (such as Oshawott), a stage one form (such as Dewott), and a stage two form (such as Samurott). Think about where your Pokémon would fit best in one of the forms, then give it evolutions and pre-evolutions accordingly. You do not have to detail your Pokémon's evolutionary relatives, though, so don't shy away from having your Pokémon evolve. You just need to have their names, an order to the family (such as Basic -> Stage 1 -> Stage 2), and how you would evolve the Pokémon from one stage to the next.​

BREEDING AND TRAINING INFORMATION
Ability:
Every Pokémon has an ability, which does many things from helping it in battle to helping it in the field. A Pokémon can have up to three possible abilities: two that have a 50/50 chance of appearing on a Pokémon that you catch in the wild, and an ability that is available through the Dream World. Your Pokémon can have either one or two abilities depending on what you feel is best, and must have a Dream World ability. A list of abilities can be found here. Have your Pokémon's two to three abilities reflect everything else about your Pokémon. For example, don't let your fire-type Pokémon have the ability Swift Swim.​

Gender Ratio:
Every Pokémon has a gender. It can be Male, Female, or Genderless. Some Pokémon are only male, such as Hitmontop, while some are only female, like Blissey. Other Pokémon are genderless, such as Voltorb or Klink. Finally, other Pokémon can be either male or female. These Pokémon need a specific gender ratio. The ratio's are 25% Male/75% Female (such as Azurill), 50% Male/50% Female (such as Absol), 75% Male/25% Female (such as Growlithe), 87.5% Male/12.5% Female (such as Squirtle), 100% Male (such as Hitmontop), 100% Female (such as Blissey), or Genderless (such as Klink). When choosing one of the gender ratios, consider if your Pokémon is mostly masculine, mostly feminine, equally feminine and masculine, or appears to be genderless. Then, choose the ratio accordingly.​

Egg Group(s):
To decide with what Pokémon a certain Pokémon can breed with, they are divided into egg groups. There are fifteen different groups, which you can find in the drop-down menu on this page. View the existing Pokémon for each group, then decide which group or groups your Pokémon fits in with the most. Your Pokémon can be part of up to two egg groups. If your Pokémon can't breed, place it in the 'Pokémon That Can't Breed' group. If your Pokémon can breed with every Pokémon like Ditto, place it in the 'Ditto Group'. Make sure that your Pokémon fits in with the group that you put it with so that it makes sense. Don't put your fairy princess Pokemon in the mineral egg group, unless it has a giant tiara made of several different minerals, of course!​

Steps to Hatch:
When breeding, it takes a different amount of steps to hatch different Pokémon. The number of steps ranges anywhere from 1,000 steps to 10,000 steps. The number depends on the rarity of the Pokémon, the strength of the Pokémon, and whether or not it is a baby Pokemon. Most baby Pokémon hatch in a little over 2,500 steps. Weak Pokémon such as Magikarp hatch in a little over 1,500 steps. Strong and rare Pokémon such as Dratini can take up to 10,500 steps to hatch. The best way to decide how many steps it takes your Pokémon to hatch would be to find an existing Pokémon that is the same strength and rarity as your own and use their number of steps to hatch.​

Effort Points Given:
When EV training, different Pokémon give out different amounts of effort points for different stats. To decide what effort points your Pokémon should give out consider it's highest stat(s) and what evolutionary stage it is at. Baby Pokémon and most stage one Pokémon give out one effort point in their highest stat (for example, Pichu gives one Speed point). Fully evolved Pokémon give out three points in either their highest stat or two in it's highest and one in its second highest (for example Raichu gives three Speed points, and Beedrill gives out two Attack points and one Special Defense points). Pokémon that are in the middle of their evolutionary line or are the second in a two-stage evolutionary family give out two points, which can be in one or two stats (for example Pikachu give two Speed points, and Muk gives out one Hit Points point and one Attack point).​

Capture Rate:
The capture rate of a Pokémon reflects how rare and how strong it is. Extremely rare Pokémon and most legendaries have the extremely low capture rate of 3. Common, weak Pokémon like Magikarp have the catch rate of 255. The capture rate is on a scale from zero to 255. The best way to determine what capture rate you should give your Pokémon is the same as steps to hatch - find an existing Pokémon similar to the Pokémon you are creating and use that Pokémon's capture rate.​

Base Happiness:
Happiness determines the strength of the moves Frustration and Return, and also effects things such as evolution and the availability of in-game items. Every Pokémon has a base happiness, which is the happiness that it is at when you first catch or receive it. The happiness number ranges from zero to 255. Most Pokémon's base happiness is at 70, but if your Pokémon is one that would be generally happy or friendly, feel free to give it a higher base happiness.​

Growth Rate:
A Pokémon's growth rate determines how fast it will reach level 100. There are six 'experience groups' that Pokémon are divided into. They are: 'Erratic,' where Pokémon level up at different rates for each level, but overall very fast, 'Fast,' where Pokémon level up at the same, fast rate, 'Medium Fast,' which is the same as fast, but slightly slower, 'Slow,' where Pokémon level up at the same, slow rate, 'Medium Slow, which is the same as slow but slightly faster, and 'Fluctuating,' which is the same as erratic but very slow. Choose the experience group for your Pokémon based on how fast you think that your Pokémon should grow.​

Wild Held Item:
Your Pokémon doesn't need to have a wild held item, but you can give it one if you like. Try to be creative with the item that you give it - make sure that it is an item that you think your Pokémon will walk around forests or caves with!​

Base Stats:
Base Stats are the stats a Pokémon has when it is level 100 without any EV's, IV's, or stat enhancements. Sound's confusing? Not really. Is your Pokémon defense-oriented? Then have it's highest stats in Defense or Special Defense. Is your Pokémon like Chansey? Then give it a jaw-dropping amount of HP. If your Pokémon is an evolution or pre-evolution of an existing Pokémon, go to that Pokemon's Pokédex page on Serebii or Veekun, and make your Pokémon's stats a little higher or lower. Also, try to be reasonable. Don't make your Spiritomb pre-evo have base stats of 100/100/100/100/100/100.​

FLAVOR
Pokédex Entry:
The Pokédex entry is an essential part of every Pokémon. It describes what the Pokémon does or is known for. When writing the entry, consider what makes you Pokémon unique. Think about what things your Pokémon does that is more exciting than eating and sleeping (unless all it does is eat or sleep such as Munchlax and Snorlax). What skills does your Pokémon have? Pokédex entries are short and sweet, so don't do anything too elaborate.​

Species:
A Pokémon's species usually reflects what the Pokémon is based off of. For example, Solosis is the Cell Pokémon because it is clearly based off of a cell, and Oddish is the Weed Pokémon because it is based off of a weed. When naming the species of your Pokémon, think about the animal or item that you based it off of, and go from there.​

Color:
The color of a Pokémon is easy. Just take a look at the sprite of your Pokémon and pick which color is used more than any of the others. It's color has to be on this list: Black, Blue, Brow, Gray, Green, Pink, Purple, Red, White, or Yellow, so just choose the closest.​

Height:
How tall do you envision your Pokémon to be? Is it a massive, hulking beast larger than Wailord, or is it so tiny that you can hardly see it such as Joltik?​

Weight:
When considering the weight of your Pokémon, think about what it is made of. Is it flesh and bones like a human? Or is it made of light, cottony clouds? Once you determine what it is made of, give it a weight depending on how large it is.​

Art and Sprites:
This is the biggest part of the competition - what your Pokémon actually looks like. When spriting your Pokémon, consider all of the aspects that you want it to have. If it is a defense-oriented Pokémon, give it rock-hard armor. Be realistic as well! Don't have your fire type Pokémon have raindrops all around its body. We wont judge on your art skills, but please turn in a sprite of your Pokémon. If you wish, you can turn in art of your Pokémon as well, but it isn't required. If you feel that your sprite and art doesn't convey what you want your Pokémon to look like, you can write a description of it as well. If you feel extra creative, you can turn in a shiny sprites and back sprites of your Pokémon as well!​

MOVESET
Level Up Moves:
Every Pokémon needs moves. Each Pokémon can learn certain moves at certain times. You need to make a list of moves that your Pokémon should be able to learn and at what level they learn the move. Be realistic! Don't have you Fire type Pokemon learn only Water type moves. Give your Pokémon a good movepool, and have fun with it. Remember that there are also 'start' moves that the Pokémon knows straight from the egg, so be sure to include those. You can also make a signature move for your Pokemon if you wish to do so.​

Egg Moves:
In addition to level up moves, breedable Pokémon usually have egg moves. These are moves that your Pokémon will not normally be able to learn through evolution or through TM's or HM's, but can learn through breeding. Be creative about the moves you give your Pokémon. Why not have your Electric Pokémon be able to learn a Ghost move? Have fun! When creating this list, look at the egg group that your put your Pokemon into. Make sure that at least one of the Pokémon in that group can learn the egg moves that you give your Pokémon.​

Tutor Moves:
Tutor moves are moves that your Pokémon can't learn through level up, breeding, or TM's and HM's. They are taught to your Pokémon by an in-game tutor. Go to this page to find a list of all moves that are taught by move tutors, and choose logical moves from the list that your Pokémon can't yet learn. Most Pokémon do not have tutor moves, so this section is not required for a perfect score.​

Technical and Hidden Machines:
To complete your Pokémon's moveset, it needs a list of learnable TM's and HM's. This is very simple. There are 101 TM's and HM's, 95 of which are TM's, and 6 of which are HM's. A list of all of the TM's and HM's can be found here. Just click the link and go through the list and write down what TM's and HM's your Pokemon could have. Be realistic! Don't let your Pokémon be able to learn all TM's and HM's. Don't have your Rock type Pokemon learn Fly, unless it is feasible.​

SUBMITTING YOUR POKÉMON
Now that you have determined every aspect of your Pokémon, you need to submit it. To submit it, put all of the information in the format below and post it in this thread, using a spoiler tag. Good luck!

[img]Put the link to the front, non-shiny sprite of your Pokemon here.[/img]
[B]Your Pokemon's name goes here.[/B]
Type 1 / Type 2
Your Pokémon -(evolution method)-> [B]Your Pokémon's evolution. Be sure to bold every evolutionary family member that is not your Pokémon.[/B]
[B]Ability:[/B] Ability 1 or Abiliy 2
[B]DW Ability:[/B]
Ratio Percent Male / Ratio Percent Female (If genderless, just put 'Genderless'.)
[B]Egg Group(s):[/B]
[B]Steps to Hatch:[/B]
[B]Effort Points Given:[/B]
[B]Capture Rate:[/B]
[B]Base Happiness:[/B]
[B]Growth Rate:[/B]
[B]Wild Held Item:[/B] if your Pokemon has no wild held item, put 'none' here.
[B]Base Stats:[/B] HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe Total: add up all of the base stats and put the number here.
[B]Pokedex Entry:[/B] 'Place entry here.'
[B]Species:[/B]
[B]Color:[/B]
[B]Height:[/B] US (Metric)
[B]Weight:[/B] US (Metric)
[B]Art and Sprites:[/B]
[img]front sprite[/img][img]shiny front sprite[/img][img]back sprite[/img][img]shiny back sprite[/img]
[img]other art[/img]
[B]Level Up Moves:[/B]
Level or Start | Move
[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Put in alphabetical order
[B]Tutor Moves:[/B]
Put in alphabetical order. If your Pokemon doesn't have tutor moves, put 'Pokémon's Name has no tutor moves.'
[B]Technical and Hidden Machines:[/B]
Put in numerical order
TM# (example: 01) | Move

Last edited:

켄니씨

>Insert C.U.T Here<
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
A question,can I submit art only?Cuz I suck at spriting T.T

Years
I'm guessing I can't use a sprite I already made, thought I'd like to check just in case.

And also, is it allowed to do some kind of team entry/collaboration?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Not good at spriting, but I tried. Might post a drawing later on to show how I wanted it to look... It looks more of a human than a Pokemon though. Did this from scratch, but stole Gothorita's palette if that's okay.
Spoiler:

marcc5m

what
Years
can you morph a sprite or does it have to be from scratch. Also, where do I post it at?

It's not a spriting contest, it's a fakemon contest, so I'd assume it would have to be from scratch.
Then post it here along with the form on the first post.

Imma finish my sprite later and post it :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
It's not a spriting contest, it's a fakemon contest, so I'd assume it would have to be from scratch.
Then post it here along with the form on the first post.

Imma finish my sprite later and post it :)

Thanks, Im going to do a pokemon with a first second and third evolution. Ill edit my other post and put it on that one when im done. :D

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I'm guessing I can't use a sprite I already made, thought I'd like to check just in case.

And also, is it allowed to do some kind of team entry/collaboration?

You can use a sprite you've made before if you wish. Teams are allowed, but in the post where you submit the entry post all of the members on the team.

Not good at spriting, but I tried. Might post a drawing later on to show how I wanted it to look... It looks more of a human than a Pokemon though. Did this from scratch, but stole Gothorita's palette if that's okay.
Spoiler:

Using other parts of other sprites is allowed, and you can take another sprite and just edit it if you wish.

can you morph a sprite or does it have to be from scratch. Also, where do I post it at?
Thanks, Im going to do a pokemon with a first second and third evolution. Ill edit my other post and put it on that one when im done. :D

Fireworks is right. And please make a new post for your entry, otherwise it will probably be looked over.

marcc5m

what
Years
Yay for re-using an old fakemon.
Then again it's easily my best design yet so w/e.
Credit goes to Zephyr+ for the sprite, iMezzo for the art and me for the design and stuff.
Also a question, are we going by gen IV or V tutors?

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
All Done! My first sprite from scratch. My other sprites are morphs. Its a 3 stage evolution. Got To Admit, Fireworks is going to be pretty tuff to beat! Had a great time making it! :cer_smile:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Went with an older sprite cause I suck at spriting and I liked that one so here's my entry.

Spoiler:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
These are all fantastic entries guys, keep them up. Just a note; Please if you are working on your pokemon, and you only submit a portion of it and then you say that you'll enter the rest, please keep it in one solid post. It is just to keep things organised and cleaner. :) Have fun.

Oh and pleas ealso note, sometimes if you don't complete certain categories, the effects on your score can be surprisingly heavy. Just to let you guys know, so even if it's one thing you chose not to do, it can actually harm your score quite a bit. :x

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I know what I'm doing and I hope no-one else has the same idea ^^

Stats are done, except name and evo. Need to do images now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
Are we allowed to submit multiple entries? I'm torn over which one to submit (I've created about five).

I wouldn't think so. I made mine with 3 evolutions, if thats what you mean I think it would be fine. If you mean completely different pokemon, I don't know.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2018
Okay, I have my sprites for my Pokemon, but I was wondering: if I don't post an art drawing of it will that lower my score?

Back