• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Design or Power?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    In-game, I used to look up stats, but now I just go for looks. As long as the Pokemon outlevels everybody by ten or so levels, then you'll win anyway. But I do take into consideration on how fast they are, because I cannot stand using slow Pokemon - I don't have the patience.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • When in-game, mostly design, but if the pokemon has reeeeeeeeeeally bad moves, then I don't use it.. no matter how much I like it's design.
    Like minun, which is my fave poke, but I actually never played with it. xD

In competitive, only it's usefulness is important for me.

Years
  • I've never based my pick solely on power. It just so happens that the Pokemon I catch in-game are usually beautifully-designed and relatively powerful.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • If I could play competitively (and I can't, sadface) I would still go by design. I'd rather win with my favorite Pokemon because I'd feel prouder xD Of course, I would probably put a bit more dedication into the strategy I'm using. No matter the power, there's always a good strategy for every Pokemon IMO.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I guess I'm also one of those who choose them based on their design and species. I mean, I like Houndoom just because it's a dog that looks like a devil. If the one I like happens to be weak, I try to find ways to counter their weakness. Unless it's really useless.

I sometimes end up using some Pokemon that aren't really appealing design wise, and I use them for their power, or their type to be specific, like Geodude or Gyarados.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
  • Design is what pretty much attracted everyone in the first place, so I'll go with design.

However, if I'm in the mood for competition, I go for the usefulness.

But hey, true trainers win with their favorite Pokemon.

TY

Just when it looks ugly, people think its weak, but i dont fall for what might be a 'trick'...
    Garbodor for example... He is freaking ugly, but he has some great power...

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it what I "judge" my Pokemon on,
    A Pokemon generally gets my attention due to it's appearance, and then it just depends on what I do with them after they are caught. Sometimes I vow to train a Pokemon until they are super powerful, like my Archen (he's so cute!). Linoone is my favorite cause I like ferrets and weasels.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Mostly design, but also if they're powerful and can hold their own 1v1 then that's a plus! Though I also get used to certain Pokemon if I use them enough, so I actually really can't tell what I like. :x Mostly I just... like random Pokemon for no apparent reason at all. lol.

Back