• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    What are your thoughts on Ubuntu's phone OS, guys?

I personally don't know much about its features or what it can offer that other OS can't, but I really like their interface design. It looks very simple, stylish, and modern. I totally love it. (:

They were planning to make their own smartphone with this OS called Ubuntu Edge, but they had to drop the project since they weren't able to raise enough crowd funding, which is quite sad. I probably wouldn't buy this phone (I already have enough phones for now), but I'm sure other people would. If they had actually released this phone, then it would have been able to take Ubuntu to a whole new level in terms of popularity.

Same about being such a latecomer. Trying to go upmarket at this point is a waste of money when you have two entrenched opponents, all of the old guard falling apart, and Windows Phone being a distant third.

I wonder whether I'll even see them in stores here...

Years
  • I heard that Ubuntu was wanting to make a smartphone operating system, but I have no interest in it.. and I'm not sure if they're still developing it or not, but there's no way it would see the attention like iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone OS.

Years
  • Windows Phone does seem interesting and it definitely looks more different than iOS and Android in terms of its general layout. I also only saw one person across my entire school from last year as well that had a Windows Phone.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've never owned a Windows Phone before, but I did try one out while I was at a local phone shop few months ago. It seemed to have an awesome call quality, which almost made you feel as if you were talking to the person face-to-face. This phone was extremely light compared to most other phones, and it felt really nice to have it on your hands. Also, you were able to charge the phone wirelessly, which was quite epic! n__n The only thing that I didn't like about it was its limited storage capacity.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've never owned a Windows Phone before, but I did try one out while I was at a local phone shop few months ago. It seemed to have an awesome call quality, which almost made you feel as if you were talking to the person face-to-face. This phone was extremely light compared to most other phones, and it felt really nice to have it on your hands. Also, you were able to charge the phone wirelessly, which was quite epic! n__n The only thing that I didn't like about it was its limited storage capacity.

Sounds like the Nokia Lumia 920, with its built-in wireless charging.

The fun thing about said phone is that it's actually one of the heaviest phones around - over 180 grams, if I remember correctly. (Hm...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Is Nokia Lumia 920 the only Windows Phone that has access to this wireless charging feature? o: If not, then it must have been some other model, because when I was holding it, it didn't feel too heavy to me at all.

I may buy a Windows Phone next year, because I've grown kind of tired of my iPhone. There are Android phones, but I already had one of those three years ago. ): Windows Phone don't have a great selection of apps, but the only apps that I really need are Opera Mini, Skype, and Spotify.

Years
  • How about the new Nokia 1020 with the 43-megapixel camera? Do y'all have thoughts on that?

I'm kinda intrigued at the megapixel value of the 1020's camera, because how good will the quality be? Amount of megapixels ≠ quality of the photo.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Is Nokia Lumia 920 the only Windows Phone that has access to this wireless charging feature? o: If not, then it must have been some other model, because when I was holding it, it didn't feel too heavy to me at all.

I may buy a Windows Phone next year, because I've grown kind of tired of my iPhone. There are Android phones, but I already had one of those three years ago. ): Windows Phone don't have a great selection of apps, but the only apps that I really need are Opera Mini, Skype, and Spotify.

Hehe. The 1020, 925, 820, 720, and if I remember correctly, 620 also has support, as long as you tack on a case. Still way lighter than the 920.

Good thing Nokia Xpress exists... but I hope you're getting a Nokia. The other two are already there.

How about the new Nokia 1020 with the 43-megapixel camera? Do y'all have thoughts on that?

I'm kinda intrigued at the megapixel value of the 1020's camera, because how good will the quality be? Amount of megapixels ≠ quality of the phot.

It also has a 2/3" sensor, which is significantly larger than the sensors found in most smartphones (1/3"-3.2" - 4x area difference at the very least)) Big sensors, big pixels in 5 MP (it uses the 41 megapixels for something), nice pictures.

Years
  • I kinda figured this was going to happen, but it seems my fingers have gotten used to my tablet, and nowadays whenever I try to type on my iPod Touch I can't seem to type properly.. as much as I want to stop using my iPod, I can't because I use iMessage to stay in touch with my parents when they aren't home..

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I kinda figured this was going to happen, but it seems my fingers have gotten used to my tablet, and nowadays whenever I try to type on my iPod Touch I can't seem to type properly.. as much as I want to stop using my iPod, I can't because I use iMessage to stay in touch with my parents when they aren't home..

Sounds like me with the split keyboard on Windows RT and my phone's software keyboard. Still, it's not as awkward as you think.

Good news: Laptop repairs are feasible and cheaper on another Toshiba service centre... in East Malaysia. Looks like I'll be able to keep using the laptop.

Bad news: Twelve. Freaking. Weeks. (worst case, yeah, but even then, I won't be looking at my laptop for 4 weeks at the very least, barring some miracle. The reason? Parts.)

Years
  • Ouch, 12 weeks?! Well, at least you'll have the same laptop and not a different one, but that also means you'd be without a laptop for pretty much the remainder of the year. :/

I actually have some physical damage on my old Compaq laptop from 2008.. in the upper right corner by the speaker, there's a small chip of plastic that broke off, but at least it's still able to be put into place and it wasn't anything major at all.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • Wow, 12 weeks hurts. Has Toshiba customer support been decent? I have a pretty decent Toshiba that just stopped booting to the BIOS screen one day, when I opened it up, I saw that the CMOS battery connector had bent and broken off. Wonder if that's covered... D:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't even know. Just the battery would be one thing, but the actual connector managed to break off. :(

Probably some unexpected breakage caused by unexpected impact. Sometimes, even in a bag, you can break things...

Years
  • My previous desktop (which was bought back in 2008) was a refurbished model, and apparently the casing which houses the HDD didn't come with a screw and when I tried moving it one day, it fell down and I wasn't aware of what the noise was at first, until I opened up the case and saw inside. I found a screw thank gosh and it's sat in secure since then.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My previous desktop (which was bought back in 2008) was a refurbished model, and apparently the casing which houses the HDD didn't come with a screw and when I tried moving it one day, it fell down and I wasn't aware of what the noise was at first, until I opened up the case and saw inside. I found a screw thank gosh and it's sat in secure since then.

Heh. Should be glad that it didn't end up damaging either anything it hit or the disk drive itself. Hard disk drives tend to be quite resilient when not spinning.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Do any of you still use flash drives nowadays?

Since I put my file and documents on the cloud these days with Google Drive, I rarely use flash drives. I use flash drive only to transfer files between computers that don't have internet access, and that's about it. Flash drives were very important five to ten years ago though, since cloud storage services weren't very common back then. One thing that I really like about flash drives is their durability. If you like, you could put them in a bucket of water for a whole month, but nothing would happen to them. They would still work. Plus, flash drives are pretty easy to carry, so you'd be able to take them almost anywhere.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I still use it, for the purpose of transferring many files. I used to store many files inside of my flash disk back then, until my portable hard disks defeats that purpose for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back