• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So...any IE users out there that haven't heard of the recent bug found in all versions of IE? :x

It's kind of a shame that I can't really get away with enabling either Enhanced Protected Mode or EMET since things kind of fall apart with my combination of extensions and it messing up the Open File/Save File dialogue boxes.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Here's some irony: UVO eServices powered by Microsoft is a feature on new Kia vehicles. It is only supported on Android and iOS. (No Windows Phones)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hah. They patched the zero-day IE bug.

And Windows XP got ANOTHER patch. This might be the real last patch, folks.

Years
  • Hah. They patched the zero-day IE bug.

Good to hear that it was finally patched, and I assume the XP patch is in response to this as well.

Here's some irony: UVO eServices powered by Microsoft is a feature on new Kia vehicles. It is only supported on Android and iOS. (No Windows Phones)
    I wanna say I've seen similar story like this somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where. This doesn't surprise me though, considering the amount of iOS and Android users in comparison to WP users, though one would think that Microsoft would prioritize their own OS with things like this.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Hah. They patched the zero-day IE bug.

Wow, that was unexpected from Microsoft itself, but it's a good thing nonetheless because I know Microsoft won't leave xp if it comes to security, for now. Anyway, I'm enjoying Windows 8.1 (I was upgrading my new laptop several days ago), I like starting up on the Desktop from the get-go instead of the Start page, Windows 8 should be started that way, for me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Hey, I thought some of the coders in here might appreciate this - it's a story written by Steve Wozniak about how he created a version of BASIC from scratch for his first computers. It's fascinating.

I had designed Breakout for Atari in hardware. I wondered if I could program this simple animated arcade game in BASIC? I knew I could program it in machine language. Since it was my own BASIC I went to the syntax chart and added commands to plot color and to draw horizontal and vertical lines. I then searched chip manuals and chose a chip with 4 timers (555 style timers) on one chip. I used that with some software to read paddle positions off potentiometers, dials that changed resistance according to where you turned the dial. Once I had these mechanisms installed (burning new EPROMS for the BASIC additions) I sat down and wrote some simple FOR loops to plot bricks in different colors. I must have tried 30 color combinations in just minutes. Then I added paddles and score and a ball. I could adjust program parameters to change the ball speeds and angles. By the way, I think this is when I added a speaker with 1-bit audio just because you needed sounds when a ball hit a brick, etc.

I called Steve Jobs over to my apartment to see what I'd done. I demonstrated to him how easily and instantly your could change things like the color of the bricks. Most importantly, in one-half hour I had tried more variations of this game than I could have done in hardware over 10 years. Steve and I both realized how important it was going to be now that animated (arcade style) games could be software. More than that, being in BASIC meant that anyone of any age could program it.

Years
  • Woo, the MicroSD card I ordered on Amazon Sunday night came in today, and now my phone has 32GB of storage \o/

I didn't go with 64GB though because I didn't see myself putting that much space onto my phone, really.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm still waiting for the rollout of Lumia Cyan so that I can have it my own way with regard to apps on my phone.

Years
  • Lumia Cyan is the Windows Phone 8.1 update right? I really hope my Lumia 520 gets it :3

Also, I'm gonna try dual booting now.. I wonder if loading a Linux OS install onto a flash drive is going to work at all.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Lumia Cyan is the Windows Phone 8.1 update right? I really hope my Lumia 520 gets it :3

Also, I'm gonna try dual booting now.. I wonder if loading a Linux OS install onto a flash drive is going to work at all.

It should, as long as you have done it properly. Most PCs with Windows 7 certification or newer must support USB boot. (You may or may not have to disable Secure Boot on a UEFI-based PC. It depends on the distribution you're using; some took the time to get their bootloader signed.)

Years
  • Gah, one of the things I forgot about with dual booting between a Linux OS and Windows is that the clock settings wind up getting messed up. :<

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Oh, right, it does. XD;; That's probably what happened with mine; its time got turned back a few hours. I rarely check my computer clock, though, so haven't noticed it until recently.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Gah, one of the things I forgot about with dual booting between a Linux OS and Windows is that the clock settings wind up getting messed up. :<

Oh, right, it does. XD;; That's probably what happened with mine; its time got turned back a few hours. I rarely check my computer clock, though, so haven't noticed it until recently.

Windows has always assumed the system time is in local time for compatibility reasons; many Unix-based OSes assume the system time is in UTC. Either enable Internet time synchronization, or make the non-Windows OS use local time. (This may or may not be available depending on your Unix-based OS.)

(You might also want to check time zone and DST settings.)

Years
  • Well, I did find out where to change the UTC=yes setting to UTC=no.. so hopefully that works. If not, then I'll just deal with the time changing and set it back every time lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If you're connected to Internet, I think it'd be great if all OS just set your time and date accordingly based on your IP and whatnot. You'd still be able to make manual changes, of course, but most people don't really do that unless they absolutely have to. :(

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If you're connected to Internet, I think it'd be great if all OS just set your time and date accordingly based on your IP and whatnot. You'd still be able to make manual changes, of course, but most people don't really do that unless they absolutely have to. :(

I prefer using time synchronization as something more for clock drift.

Years
  • I prefer using time synchronization as something more for clock drift.
    That's exactly what time sync is for :P never once have I seen a computer that doesn't lose track without the occasional synchronization at all.

By the way, speaking of which, I've had trouble as of late manually syncing my desktop with time.windows.com, but not my laptop. Weird.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Hey, I thought some of the coders in here might appreciate this - it's a story written by Steve Wozniak about how he created a version of BASIC from scratch for his first computers. It's fascinating.

I know this is a bit of a late response, but The Woz is so awesome! His nerdy way of spending hours and hours writing his own version of Bill Gates' BASIC language has some charm to it :)
    Tech companies should be led by engineers, not marketing and finance (looking at you Steve Jobs)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Right now, I'm doing some application housekeeping on my laptop. Move out all the things that I won't be using anytime soon...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back