• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I tend to use Opera Mini in all of my mobile devices. Well, except my laptop. Opera opens up itself as soon as you click on it, it runs very smoothly, and it has a beautiful user interface that makes it very easy for us to navigate to things. Plus, Opera Mini saves you a lot of data, which helps you to keep your phone bills at a reasonable level. The only thing that I don't like about this browser, though, is that it randomly closes itself every now and then without any sorts of warning. I've asked for help regarding this issue on the Opera support forums, but nobody seemed to be able to figure out any solutions. D:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Does Opera Mini restore last opened tabs at the very least in the event of an unexpected shutdown?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
You cannot reopen your last tabs, unfortunately. You may be able to perform this task in the regular Opera, but there's no option for that in the mini version. ): I have no problem with the unexpected shutdowns, because I can easily open up the browser again and revisit my previous websites from the history, but it can get a bit frustrating if it does that when you're in the middle of something important (such as when writing a long forum post).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Huh. Kind of strange when you think about it - when everyone else does the same thing...

In other news, refreshing and resetting PCs is a lot simpler with Windows 8/RT :) Just refreshed the Surface to see if I can wipe the dictionary suggestions for some weird reason that I won't be saying here.

Years
I honestly can't wait to hopefully see if I'll have a new laptop with Windows 8. It's really not that bad.. however a couple of months ago I installed the Windows 8.1 release preview on my old laptop for testing purposes and the graphics card was really glitchy. I'm sure that's changed though for the final version.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I like Windows, but I just don't like the direction that they're headed with their computer operating system. They are trying to make it look and behave sort of like a tablet, which I, unfortunately, am not a big fan of. d: I may switch over to OSX at some point in the future. I already have an iBook (and it's in totally new condition), but it's been released ages ago. It's completely outdated now. Mac are extremely pricey these days, so I would have to save some money from my paycheck for about six to seven months before I'm able to buy a new one.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm ... all right with Windows 8. Though I haven't done much other than browse the internet on my mom's computer which I think is already virused. You can't use Firefox on it and while I'm not sure about Chrome (maybe I should casually download it onto her desktop sometime) you can really only use IE. Not really sure about anything I just said though haha.

My sister is getting a laptop really soon though. I'm wondering if there is anything that someone can recommend that isn't too pricey? I don't know much about the current laptops that you can buy and don't think I want to base it on my own experience. But we both want to make sure her laptop can last a while since we wouldn't know the next time she can get one. Don't want her to end up getting something like my first laptop that didn't last beyond (not even) two years. Luckily my current laptop is three and a half and stuff working fairly well but crappy battery and so forth haaa.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I honestly can't wait to hopefully see if I'll have a new laptop with Windows 8. It's really not that bad.. however a couple of months ago I installed the Windows 8.1 release preview on my old laptop for testing purposes and the graphics card was really glitchy. I'm sure that's changed though for the final version.

Old laptops and new operating systems tend to not mix very well and might as well not give you a real picture of what you're actually getting with it. While it might seem to be something sensible, there's a reason why new hardware almost always work better with a newer operating system. They tend to support more... in both ways.

I like Windows, but I just don't like the direction that they're headed with their computer operating system. They are trying to make it look and behave sort of like a tablet, which I, unfortunately, am not a big fan of. d: I may switch over to OSX at some point in the future. I already have an iBook (and it's in totally new condition), but it's been released ages ago. It's completely outdated now. Mac are extremely pricey these days, so I would have to save some money from my paycheck for about six to seven months before I'm able to buy a new one.

Even if you want to get a Mac, for the same price as a Mac, you can also get a nice, beefy Ultrabook, gaming laptop, or maybe both in the same machine. Just remember to check the screen, keyboard, storage, and graphics options - most laptops and desktops that are priced like a Mac should have sufficiently fast processors.

I really like the choice and flexibility of mid-size laptops, though my laptop can actually be qualified as an Ultrabook, weren't for its thickness (It's just 1.95 kg, but it's too thick by a few centimetres.) for all the ports, vents, and stuff - not to mention the optical drive. Hey, it at least have user-accessible components!

I'm ... all right with Windows 8. Though I haven't done much other than browse the internet on my mom's computer which I think is already virused. You can't use Firefox on it and while I'm not sure about Chrome (maybe I should casually download it onto her desktop sometime) you can really only use IE. Not really sure about anything I just said though haha.

My sister is getting a laptop really soon though. I'm wondering if there is anything that someone can recommend that isn't too pricey? I don't know much about the current laptops that you can buy and don't think I want to base it on my own experience. But we both want to make sure her laptop can last a while since we wouldn't know the next time she can get one. Don't want her to end up getting something like my first laptop that didn't last beyond (not even) two years. Luckily my current laptop is three and a half and stuff working fairly well but crappy battery and so forth haaa.

It's actually very hard to infect something with a virus unless somehow someone's been neglecting/suppressing automatic updates and disabled anti-malware solutions (NEVER do that even if you have a lot of common sense - zero day, anyone?). Chances are if you can't install Firefox, something is fundamentally wrong with it, though - try using Windows 8's built-in refresh/reset functionality and see if things change. (You'll have to reinstall desktop applications, but it'll usually do a lot.)

Ask her what she wants to do now and in the near future, and what she has in terms of both applications and media (like pictures, music, and videos). Is she comfortable with dealing with external drives and is willing to give up libraries?

Years
Okay, so I'm doing my desktop's backup now.. I was going to do it overnight, but considering how I had no USB ports open for me to plug my external HDD into, I had to wait for this morning, since my Nexus 7 needed to charge overnight.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
My Surface relies on its own power adapter. You need a separate outlet. Inconvenient, maybe, but it charges really fast. Gotta love 24 watts.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It's actually very hard to infect something with a virus unless somehow someone's been neglecting/suppressing automatic updates and disabled anti-malware solutions (NEVER do that even if you have a lot of common sense - zero day, anyone?). Chances are if you can't install Firefox, something is fundamentally wrong with it, though - try using Windows 8's built-in refresh/reset functionality and see if things change. (You'll have to reinstall desktop applications, but it'll usually do a lot.)

Ask her what she wants to do now and in the near future, and what she has in terms of both applications and media (like pictures, music, and videos). Is she comfortable with dealing with external drives and is willing to give up libraries?
Well it's not my computer so I can't really do much with it. And she seems fine with IE as long as she can do her work on her desktop. Don't believe she does much else on it herself other than the occasional youtube so unless it comes a general problem then eh. Not going to touch it. But I don't even know if she has an antivirus set up which is why I mentioned it possibly being a virus in the first place.

Well she needs it for school I know that. Other than that I'm fairly certain it'll be a lot of music, pictures, and videos (like music videos or something idk). However not gaming. We don't really do much PC gaming in this house so it's not that much of a big deal if the laptop isn't capable of gaming at all (especially considering if you really want a computer to game on I know that you're better off getting a desktop which is not what we're getting her. She needs to bring the computer to school after all haha). I do have two external hard drives and she is welcomed to use one if she needs to but it'll be nice if there is enough space to where she doesn't have to for a while (in which videos would probably be the last thing on her mind to download. Music likely being the first and pictures the second.)

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
♪Twiggy♪ said:
Even if you want to get a Mac, for the same price as a Mac, you can also get a nice, beefy Ultrabook, gaming laptop, or maybe both in the same machine.
It's also possible to get all three in the same machine. I won't go into details here, but I've done several hackintoshes before, and it's easier than most Linux installs.

Years
I'd rather get a powerhouse gaming laptop than blow my money on any sort of Macbook, even if it meant less portability. You can do way more to a machine that's built for Windows than you can with Macbooks. At least with a non-Apple laptop you can upgrade the memory yourself without having to worry about the memory being soldered to the motherboard.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's also possible to get all three in the same machine. I won't go into details here, but I've done several hackintoshes before, and it's easier than most Linux installs.

I don't bother with gaming on OS X for good reason: chances are games perform their best in Windows, and Windows alone can handle a lot of things OS X also does. It's all in the app ecosystem. The OS X might have a desktop app store, but there's the thing that Windows just have so many apps. Especially games. As long as it's not a Windows RT machine, you're golden.

Trying to maintain an OS X install on non-approved hardware might be a hassle, too. And it might not even work as smoothly as ot would, as it's a hack in the end.

I suggest running with only a single operating system for a given laptop and it is a very good idea to stick with the OS it came with and Windows, which is extremely likely to be both. :) Less hardware and software incompatibility, less headaches down the road.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I don't bother with gaming on OS X for good reason: chances are games perform their best in Windows, and Windows alone can handle a lot of things OS X also does. It's all in the app ecosystem. The OS X might have a desktop app store, but there's the thing that Windows just have so many apps. Especially games. As long as it's not a Windows RT machine, you're golden.

Trying to maintain an OS X install on non-approved hardware might be a hassle, too. And it might not even work as smoothly as ot would, as it's a hack in the end.

Gaming on OS X is completely pointless, I agree. I was thinking a dual-boot with Windows. Of course a hackintosh can be a pain to set up, but if you have the right hardware, you'll never have issues with it once it's done. Also, it's fun to do B)

Years
It's always best indeed to run operating systems with the best compatible hardware indeed.. but I've heard that Hackintoshes can be quite unstable. And for gamers, I've never met anyone who is a heavy gamer and plays games on OSX at all.. it's usually Windows for the gamers that I know.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
It's always best indeed to run operating systems with the best compatible hardware indeed.. but I've heard that Hackintoshes can be quite unstable. And for gamers, I've never met anyone who is a heavy gamer and plays games on OSX at all.. it's usually Windows for the gamers that I know.

Hackintoshes are stable if you run them on the right hardware, which these days is a GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with UEFI, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, and a NVIDIA graphics card. With this setup, OS X runs rock solid. You can get it booting on pretty much any setup these days, but there cab be complications. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hackintoshes are stable if you run them on the right hardware, which these days is a GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with UEFI, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, and a NVIDIA graphics card. With this setup, OS X runs rock solid. You can get it booting on pretty much any setup these days, but there cab be complications. :P

Shame we're talking about laptops right now :)

Either way, it's actually pretty easy to find a laptop that suits her needs. Just remember that Intel graphics aren't useless anymore (but look for at least HD 4000) and any AMD APU is likely to be too slow in terms of CPU power.

Years
I'd probably get a laptop with an Intel i5 processor for my next laptop, as that's in the middle between the lower-end i3 processor and the higher-end (and probably a little too powerful for my needs) i7 processor. I'd also want a laptop with at least 6-8 GB RAM as 4 didn't cut it for my laptop and a GPU that can at least handle gaming, unlike my current laptop's GPU.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'd probably get a laptop with an Intel i5 processor for my next laptop, as that's in the middle between the lower-end i3 processor and the higher-end (and probably a little too powerful for my needs) i7 processor. I'd also want a laptop with at least 6-8 GB RAM as 4 didn't cut it for my laptop and a GPU that can at least handle gaming, unlike my current laptop's GPU.

Don't bother with 6GB configs.

Make sure your 8 GB config is 2x4. Dual channel is nice, especially when you even start to think about using the integrated graphics for anything other than "putting a picture on the screen", which is extremely likely if you're into quick video transcodes. (Intel QuickSync is faster than almost every CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back