• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Dialga or Palkia

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    Well, id say their practicall equal. i mean, dialga is weak to fighting and ground. but his steel counterpart weakens his dragon weakness hed have without steel. seeing as palkia is still weak to dragon and dialga isnt, that could be bad. you have to take the moves they learn into consideration. dialga learns a 150 damage dragon move at lvl 40, meaning it already has it. palkia doesnt learn any fighting or ground moves until after 60. assuming the battle between them is after they are caught, dialga would most likely win because of the move it has. would good is a weakness if you dont have any moves of that type, right?

You have got a point there. But I guess that balances things out. Hey question to anyone with an answer, what level do you catch Dialga/Palkia at?

Canthinkofaname

The One With No Name
    Years
    your not thinking about it. look at the attack powerful dailga and compare it with palkia you will see that dailga is 10000000000000000000% better

we realise you like to make up impossible percentages, but dude, there the same thing basically.
    PALKIA:
    Hp - 90
    Atk - 120
    Def - 100
    SpAtk - 150
    SpDef - 120
    Spd - 100

DIALGA:
    Hp - 100
    Atk - 120
    Def - 120
    SpAtk - 150
    SpDef - 100
    Spd - 90

Dialga has more health, but Palkia has more speed. Dialga has more defense, but Palkia has more Special defense. other than that, they are equal. and considering all the facts, neither one is better. its a matter of opinion and personal tastes for which one you want

also, i think 47, thats what it says on serebii. they could be mistaken though

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
    I think Palkia will be alot better than Dialga, this is because of Dialga's type. Dialga is a Steel/Dragon, Whereas Palkia is a Water/Dragon. This makes Dialga weak to these following types:

Normal - Half Damage
    Fire - Normal Damage
    Water - Half Damage
    Electric - Half Damage
    Grass - Quarter Damage
    Ice - Normal Damage
    Fight - 2x Super Effective
    Poison - No Damage
    Ground - 2x Super Effective
    Flying - Half Damage
    Psychic - Half Damage
    Bug - Half Damage
    Rock - Half Damage
    Ghost - Half Damage
    Dragon - Normal Damage
    Dark - Half Damage
    Steel - Half Damage

What will screw him up is that he's weak to ground, And what is the most commonly used ground move? Yes! thats right it's EARTHQUAKE, And because Palkia can learn it, Dialga doesn't really stand a chance because Palkia's base speed stat is 10 points higher, so Palkia will always outrun him, He's also weak to Fighting, which D/P brought plenty of fighting moves in, Such as Pulse Bomb, with a power of 90, and it cannot miss.

Here are Palkia's weaknesses:

Normal - Normal Damage
    Fire - Quarter Damage
    Water - Quarter Damage
    Electric - Normal Damage
    Grass - Normal Damage
    Ice - Normal Damage
    Fight - Normal Damage
    Poison - Normal Damage
    Ground - Normal Damage
    Flying - Normal Damage
    Psychic - Normal Damage
    Bug - Normal Damage
    Rock - Normal Damage
    Ghost - Normal Damage
    Dragon - 2x Super Effective
    Dark - Normal Damage
    Steel - Half Damage

So yeah, Palkia has WAY better defenses then Dialga, although Dialga's Time Roar will be a ***** to Palkia,as 150 power STAB so thats like 225 power and it's super effective to Palkia, Yikes! Other than that move, I think Palkia will own Dialga.

Yeah but like hyper beam the user has to wait a turn before using it again. Letting Parukia (I like the japanese name kinda better) land 2 Space Breaks on Dialga. And Space Break has a high critical hit ratio and it can do damage of about 100 excluding the critical hit rate. It's stats are very high too so it'll PWN Dialga with a bit of ease. Ballin'!

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Yeah but like hyper beam the user has to wait a turn before using it again. Letting Parukia (I like the japanese name kinda better) land 2 Space Breaks on Dialga. And Space Break has a high critical hit ratio and it can do damage of about 100 excluding the critical hit rate. It's stats are very high too so it'll PWN Dialga with a bit of ease. Ballin'!

Yeah, BUT with Dialga's Sp. Atk stat the same as Palkia's, Time Roar will be a OHKO, I also base this off Palkia's Sp. Def stat as it is 20 points lower then Dialga's.

I really dislike how Dialga has a nice strong signature move, wheras Palkia only has Space Break. It's Unfair, Although i am getting both, But I'll use Palkia more often coz he looks beastier then Dialga.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2008
    Yeah, BUT with Dialga's Sp. Atk stat the same as Palkia's, Time Roar will be a OHKO, I also base this off Palkia's Sp. Def stat as it is 20 points lower then Dialga's.

I really dislike how Dialga has a nice strong signature move, wheras Palkia only has Space Break. It's Unfair, Although i am getting both, But I'll use Palkia more often coz he looks beastier then Dialga.

Yeah its unfair that Dialga has a much stonger move and i think he looks cooler but i dont like steel pokemon.
    BTW what OHKO?

Canthinkofaname

The One With No Name
    Years
    i personally love the new idea of steel/dragon. water/dragon is kool too, but kingdra already has that and its just, not unique like steel/dragon. plus, palkia has a human-like form and has arms and legs and stands. dialga is like a freakin horse-giraffe thingy, and that makes it kool. i like both of them, but i like dialga better.

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
    I think Dialga is better than Palkia, reasons being, it looks better and plus it's Steel/Dragon, which, I would prefer over water/dragon, and well, Palkia just looks like a suped up Groudon to me =/.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    I have to go with Dialga. Cooler name, cooler color, cooler accessories, better elemental affinities, and a better moveset. It's for that reason I'm buying Pearl; I'll have more people to pick a Dialga off of while I get Palkia myself.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    I like Dialga. Though I'm definately renaming him to his japanese name. Diaruga sounds so much cooler.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    He meant it will probably OHKO whatever it hits, since a 150-power move is pretty tough to survive unless you've got good defenses in place.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    He meant it will probably OHKO whatever it hits, since a 150-power move is pretty tough to survive unless you've got good defenses in place.

O, I get it now. So I guess you just have to beef up your defence then. ;)

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
    Dialga still has its points of weakness. Think of dragon type and think of ground , plus fighting type too. If Palkia uses Pulse bomb it's in trouble. If Parukia uses Land Power two times then uses Earthquake it's in trouble. Then Parukia can use its following dragon moves to finish it off:
    Dragon attacks(listed by level up):
    Dragonbreath
    Dragon Claw
    Space Break

Parukia's Space break and Earthquake should be watched out for , especially if someone has a PP max to use for either of the moves. And don't underestimate Pulse Bomb either.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    O, I get it now. So I guess you just have to beef up your defence then. ;)

Never waste EVs into pointless stats, For a Palkia (Which I have already planned as I'm using him) His main strength will be how hard he can hit, he has very good defense and Sp. Def already (as he is an UBER) so just boost his attacking power,I will focus on his Sp. Atk as it is 150 compared to Attack which is 100, I'll be using this moveset which I believe will be most effective against Dailga:

Palkia @ Adherence Glasses
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Mild (+Sp. Atk, -Def)
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    Moveset:
    - Dragon Pulse [135] (STAB)
    - Aqua Tail [135] (STAB)
    - Space Break [150] (STAB)
    - Meteoric Swarm [210] / Surf [142.5] (Both STAB)

I chose this set, as they are all Special moves which is what Palkia is best, A special sweeper. All the moves have more than 100 power including stab, (max power is in the [] brackets) And with the Item Adherance Glasses, Which is exactly like the Choice Band, but for Special Moves.

With the EV spread, I chose to max Sp. Atk to make sure he hits hard, and max Speed to make sure he goes first, The rest into HP so he'll have 1 more Health Point.

Back