• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Dialogue Oddities

Years
  • I was re-playing my Red version, where I noticed this little bit of unintentional humor. After beating the trainer in Pewter GYM before facing Brock, he says "Wow, you're hot! But Brock is hotter!"

Now, I know that the person who made the text intended it to mean something along the lines of being a hotshot trainer, but it completly looks as if he's remarking on how good looking I am. :D

Anyone else come across wierd pieces of text like this?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    The Jugglers always insist on telling me about their balls....

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    After beating the trainer in Pewter GYM before facing Brock, he says "Wow, you're hot! But Brock is hotter!"

Um,no. He says something along the lines of "I guess light years is a measure of distance, not time..."

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • What about the infamous "pharmacist in Ecruteak" dialogue found in the Beta of Gold/Silver? Nobody knows whether it was an error on the behalf of the programmers or whether the pharmacy was originally intended to be in Ecruteak but got moved to Cianwood.

Dialogue Oddities

Years
  • Um,no. He says something along the lines of "I guess light years is a measure of distance, not time..."

Ummmm, no I'm right. He says the quip about lightyears measuring distance as opposed to time after you win, but still in the battle. After the battle, if you talk to him again, he tells you how good looking you are.

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • That was one of the "Clues" For pikablu. It was to be the evolved form of Pikachu/Rachu and one of the "Pokegods"
    No. It's translated from Red/Green, where you trade the man a Kadabra, as opposed to Raichu. Pikablu was a fan name for Marill.
    When you get an item, it will say "<Name> found Potion", and in R/B/Y, use a ball and it says "<Name> used Poke Ball". In G/S/C it tells you "<Name> found a Ultra Ball". Lack of parts of speech were quite common.

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Soul Badge and Marsh Badge text was reversed. Koga was supposed to give the Marsh Badge, because many Poison-types were also Bug-types, and bugs live in swamps or marshes, and Sabrina was to give the Soul Badge, because psychics can see into your soul(or something).
    Additionally, in R/B/Y and G/S/C, when you receive a badge it's written like "<Player> received BOULDERBADGE." And when being told of it's properties, it's still written like that; "BOULDERBADGE increases ATTACK. It also allows the use of FLASH outside of battle."

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Soul Badge and Marsh Badge text was reversed. Koga was supposed to give the Marsh Badge, because many Poison-types were also Bug-types, and bugs live in swamps or marshes, and Sabrina was to give the Soul Badge, because psychics can see into your soul(or something).

I've never heard that one before, but it actually makes tons of sense...

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Not to mention Koga's is listed as the 5th badge in the list on R/B, but the 6th elsewhere. Another programming/translating error, I suppose?

And how they've finally dropped?

Doesn't help that Irwin is such a stalker, but I love him. XD
    Yesss, exactly. XD I try to keep a straight face every time, I do, but ... gosh. TMI, dude.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    No. It's translated from Red/Green, where you trade the man a Kadabra, as opposed to Raichu. Pikablu was a fan name for Marill.
    No, he's right. He's not saying it was an intentional clue on the part of the programmers, just that that was how it was interpreted back in the day.

Additionally, in R/B/Y and G/S/C, when you receive a badge it's written like "<Player> received BOULDERBADGE." And when being told of it's properties, it's still written like that; "BOULDERBADGE increases ATTACK. It also allows the use of FLASH outside of battle."
    The badges do subtly increase various stats in the original games.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Perhaps they're in CAPS so the 6-to-8-year-olds playing know they're supposed to be paying attention to those words. :P

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
  • Perhaps they're in CAPS so the 6-to-8-year-olds playing know they're supposed to be paying attention to those words. :P
    I don't care if the small ADHA children needed it, IT BOTHERED ME D:

It reminded me of my schience teacher who would have random capital letters in the middle of words and senences. I was really happy after they stopped that and just highlighted important things. Made playing my Japanese SoulSilver a whole lot easier.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    If you talk to the trainers afterward they tend to explain what they've said. Tiksi, as that particular Scientist later says, is in Russian no-man's-land. Poor Scientist.

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
  • If you talk to the trainers afterward they tend to explain what they've said. Tiksi, as that particular Scientist later says, is in Russian no-man's-land. Poor Scientist.
    IN SOVIET RUSSIA

Yeah, I got nothing creative here.

I always loved looking through those journals - intersting nostalia in there.

Another odd one was one Team Rocket memeber calling me a traitor. At first I was like "RED WAS IN TEAM ROCKET!?"then he ranted after about how not joining Team Rocket is being a traitor. Classy.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Don't forget the shorts-obsessed Youngster. He creeped me out in the show and the game. O_o "Hey! You're not wearing shorts!"

Back