• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did Black and White deserve their perfect score?

Years
  • I also don't like the characters. Why is it so hard for them to make normal characters? Why do they have to go with crazy hair and clothing, blue flowerpot hair (team galactic from diamond as an example, I forgot the name of the team in Black) and silly names? Can't we just have the normal guy with the cap like soul silver has? This is just a minor thing, but the fact that the characters in the newer games are just like the pokemon are starting to look childisher and childisher just ruins the immersion for me. Why can't we just have a badass team anymore which has normal hair and cool outfits.. :P
    This is actually the best and most logical point I ever heard from people who dislike BW. I totally agree they should have less weird looking people in weird costumes.

Years
  • Actually, gen 5 Pokemon are pretty strong. Just look at OU. There are around 13 from Kanto, however, from Unova:

Conkeldurr
    Haxorus
    Hydreigon
    Jellicent
    Keldeo
    Landorus
    Meloetta
    Meloetta-P
    Terrakion
    Tornadus
    Virizion
    Volcarona

While that is the current B2W2 standing, it is true that Keldeo and Meloetta do exist within B/W, so they count to me.

Now if you look at ubers, mostly gen 4/5 Pokemon. Actually, if you include gen 4 Pokemon compared to gen 2 Pokemon in OU too, it'd be much higher I think.

So really... in terms of strength these guys are pretty even with the rest, if not better for the most part, given all the firsts in power and w/e they've achieved. While it's true the starters are in lower tiers than the starters of the other generations it shouldn't really indicate that much imo.

I understand your point, but I didn't mean weak in the form of low strength, but in the form of design. The new pokemon just don't appeal to me. There are some pokemon which are pretty cool, I have to agree with that. But the majority is just too fluffly and too girlish for me. I only catch pokemon which I like, and not because I need them.

In this game I just have to catch pokemon which I don't like, because almost the only pokemon so far which I have encountered and doesn't evolve in something fluffly and girlish are roggenrola and sandile.

Many people here seem to disagree with me on this point, and they think that this generation is wonderfully designed. But I have played pokemon since the beginning, and I just can't get to like even half of them it seems...

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    While that is the current B2W2 standing, it is true that Keldeo and Meloetta do exist within B/W, so they count to me.
    And Genesect, though not part of this discussion. They were probably hidden for later gifts around movie time on purpose without knowing B2/W2 was coming at the time.

I know of Keldeo and can't wait to get it. I thought it learned "Secret Sword" in B/W, but reading the Bulbapedia article now it only shows the move and the resulting Resolute Forme in B2/W2. A shame, really; having that event at the Moor of Icirrus would have made perfect - PERFECT - sense.

Cyclone

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • This is actually the best and most logical point I ever heard from people who dislike BW. I totally agree they should have less weird looking people in weird costumes.

Yeah, good point. Really good point, Seriously, how did we go from this:
    Did Black and White deserve their perfect score?

To this?:

It also seems that, with the general style of the in-game trainers, Pokemon is going towards a generic, huge-eyed "animu" weeaboo style of anatomy. Sure, it always was anime-based, but the eyes just keep getting bigger and bigger with each region, with little reason as to why.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    And Genesect, though not part of this discussion. They were probably hidden for later gifts around movie time on purpose without knowing B2/W2 was coming at the time.

I know of Keldeo and can't wait to get it. I thought it learned "Secret Sword" in B/W, but reading the Bulbapedia article now it only shows the move and the resulting Resolute Forme in B2/W2. A shame, really; having that event at the Moor of Icirrus would have made perfect - PERFECT - sense.

Cyclone

Yeah but Genesect is unreleased and not in OU :(

Unfortunate! But yeah I don't think that really can detract from the perfect score. XD; B/W is perfect without Keldeo.

I understand your point, but I didn't mean weak in the form of low strength, but in the form of design. The new pokemon just don't appeal to me. There are some pokemon which are pretty cool, I have to agree with that. But the majority is just too fluffly and too girlish for me. I only catch pokemon which I like, and not because I need them.

In this game I just have to catch pokemon which I don't like, because almost the only pokemon so far which I have encountered and doesn't evolve in something fluffly and girlish are roggenrola and sandile.

Many people here seem to disagree with me on this point, and they think that this generation is wonderfully designed. But I have played pokemon since the beginning, and I just can't get to like even half of them it seems...

Yeah idk, you have Darmanitan, Genesect, Cobalion, Terrakion, idk those don't seem very fluffy and those are off the top of my head. I think the Pokemon just make B/W better!

Yeah, good point. Really good point, Seriously, how did we go from this:

To this?:
    It also seems that, with the general style of the in-game trainers, Pokemon is going towards a generic, huge-eyed "animu" weeaboo style of anatomy. Sure, it always was anime-based, but the eyes just keep getting bigger and bigger with each region, with little reason as to why.

One little thing while I'm here - when you're discussing B/W gym leader designs, you should use actual B/W characters and not B2W2 characters since we're not B2W2 forum. :(

Years
  • This is actually the best and most logical point I ever heard from people who dislike BW. I totally agree they should have less weird looking people in weird costumes.

What about Sabrina in RBY? Or Claire in GSC? And I think their costumes make the most sense of any evil team (in terms of being weird) The point they're trying to make is that they are the heroes, being valiant and trying to save the pokemon. That's what knights are: valiant people who try to save other people. Plus since they have a king and a castle, at least it's relevant...

As for "fluffy and girly" pokemon designs, what about clefairy, jigglypuff, chansey, mr. mime, caterpie, lapras, nidoqueen, ditto, vaporeon etc.

As for black and white, what about bisharp, amoongus, accelgor, escavalier, emboar, galvantula, ferrothorn, golurk, haxorus, hydreigon, durant, etc

The point I'm trying to make is that every generation has it's cute pokemon and it's cool pokemon, it's scary pokemon and it's powerful pokemon. That's a big part of what makes the pokemon games so appealing.

Years
  • What about Sabrina in RBY? Or Claire in GSC? And I think their costumes make the most sense of any evil team (in terms of being weird) The point they're trying to make is that they are the heroes, being valiant and trying to save the pokemon. That's what knights are: valiant people who try to save other people. Plus since they have a king and a castle, at least it's relevant...

As for "fluffy and girly" pokemon designs, what about clefairy, jigglypuff, chansey, mr. mime, caterpie, lapras, nidoqueen, ditto, vaporeon etc.

As for black and white, what about bisharp, amoongus, accelgor, escavalier, emboar, galvantula, ferrothorn, golurk, haxorus, hydreigon, durant, etc

The point I'm trying to make is that every generation has it's cute pokemon and it's cool pokemon, it's scary pokemon and it's powerful pokemon. That's a big part of what makes the pokemon games so appealing.

I understand your point and you are absolutely right, but this is more of a personal complaint for me. pokemon like clefairy, caterpie, lapras, nidoqueen and vaporeon are not the coolest pokemon indeed (except for nidoqueen, which still is pretty cool), but I still like them. They may not be cool, but they are not too childish either. They are somewhat in the middle.

But if you take the zubat-impostor from black and white as an example, and you even just only look at his nose you think: NO. Atleast I think that way.

There are indeed some very nice pokemon which I really like, if you have played pokemon conquest for an example, I really like Nobunaga his Dragon-Electric type pokemon. I also like Sandile and his evolution which is also pretty good, and I am sure that I would find other pokemons which I can really enjoy.

But the point still is that I have to search for the pokemon which I can enjoy, while the pokemon which I really don't like (like those ape pokemon pansear or something and their evolutions) are everywhere yust doesn't do well for the gameplay experience for me.

Again, I understand your point and I agree with you, but this is just a matter of personal preference.

Years
  • I understand your point and you are absolutely right, but this is more of a personal complaint for me. pokemon like clefairy, caterpie, lapras, nidoqueen and vaporeon are not the coolest pokemon indeed (except for nidoqueen, which still is pretty cool), but I still like them. They may not be cool, but they are not too childish either. They are somewhat in the middle.

But if you take the zubat-impostor from black and white as an example, and you even just only look at his nose you think: NO. Atleast I think that way.

There are indeed some very nice pokemon which I really like, if you have played pokemon conquest for an example, I really like Nobunaga his Dragon-Electric type pokemon. I also like Sandile and his evolution which is also pretty good, and I am sure that I would find other pokemons which I can really enjoy.

But the point still is that I have to search for the pokemon which I can enjoy, while the pokemon which I really don't like (like those ape pokemon pansear or something and their evolutions) are everywhere yust doesn't do well for the gameplay experience for me.

Again, I understand your point and I agree with you, but this is just a matter of personal preference.
    Do you know that the number of pokemon in G5 that is fluffy and girlish according to you is 2? Because the only example you gave is the Swoobat line. You forgot to name so many other "girlish" pokemon. Let me name them for you:

Ah, girlish aren't they? XD

Years
  • Do you know that the number of pokemon in G5 that is fluffy and girlish according to you is 2? Because the only example you gave is the Swoobat line. You forgot to name so many other "girlish" pokemon. Let me name them for you:

Ah, girlish aren't they? XD

Lol, thanks for searching them all up. They look REALLY, REALLY girlish. XD
    But seriously, this was just too easy for you to do. I already told you guys that I stopped at the fifth gym. That was month's ago, and I don't know their names anymore. It is very easy to pick alot of legendary pokemon and say that they are hardcore while I can't even name the starting pokemon because I even don't like them.

By the way, Emboar isn't cool, if you look closer it is a clown set on fire. I really think it is a disgusting evolution. Snivy started of cool, but ended as some kind of girly snake. The wolf type pokemon you put in your pictures also isn't a good pick, does that pokemon look like epic to you? It does reminds me of a gen 3 pokemon, but I can't recall the name anymore... Anyway, it still looks pretty girly.

Take a look at the ape pokemon. pansear or something. The green one is the best of the three, although it still looks rubbish. The water type is HORRIBLE, and the fire type isn't so good as well. The zubat impostor is horrible, the water type starter is in the beginning ugly, Musharna is a misformed unborn baby or something, lilligant is just a remade Roselia, Jelliscent reminds me of the lakitu guy on a cloud in mario, but then the bad version of it.

Listen, again this is just an opinion. There are some pokemon which are pretty good, but if I would pick a random pokemon from your list and put it to a salamance, the salamance would always win when it comes to design in my opinion.

Years
  • Lol you're welcome. I have a lot of free time so at least it's something to occupy my time. Glad you liked it XD

I didn't know clowns in your place had orange faces and red eyes and tusks sticking out. Luckily I live in a place were clowns are happier or I'd have nightmares every night.

Although I agree that Salamence looks fierce and manly, but sadly, blue and red do not really go together, although I would agree that red+blue coloured pokemon is a much better looking than a shocking pink+kiwi green coloured pokemon. But we don't have any of those.

I thought you were talking about gen 5 pokemon being girlish, and not the cool factor, so I just showed you the girlishness of gen 5. But since you pulled in the cool factor after finding out they weren't that girlish and wanted to compare Salamence with one of the pokemon above, I'll say Samurott beats Salamence flat out in looks. Not that I dislike Salamence, I actually loved my Salamence a lot especially since he knew Hydro Pump at birth, but Samurott definitely looks cooler than him. And Samurott is a starter.

Years
  • Lol you're welcome. I have a lot of free time so at least it's something to occupy my time. Glad you liked it XD

I didn't know clowns in your place had orange faces and red eyes and tusks sticking out. Luckily I live in a place were clowns are happier or I'd have nightmares every night.

Although I agree that Salamence looks fierce and manly, but sadly, blue and red do not really go together, although I would agree that red+blue coloured pokemon is a much better looking than a shocking pink+kiwi green coloured pokemon. But we don't have any of those.

I thought you were talking about gen 5 pokemon being girlish, and not the cool factor, so I just showed you the girlishness of gen 5. But since you pulled in the cool factor after finding out they weren't that girlish and wanted to compare Salamence with one of the pokemon above, I'll say Samurott beats Salamence flat out in looks. Not that I dislike Salamence, I actually loved my Salamence a lot especially since he knew Hydro Pump at birth, but Samurott definitely looks cooler than him. And Samurott is a starter.

Before I begin my real post there is something you need to know. Clowns are always scary. In a poll made by smosh, more people were afraid of clowns than people were afraid of zombies. The fact that this clown was even put on fire and made very fat doesn't works well for his image. Emboar just wants childs to love him, but they are afraid of him because he's a clown. He must have a very sad life... :P

But now seriously: I putted in the cool factor because that was probably your opinion on the pokemon you listed. Of course I figured out that you called them girly while you picked the best pokemon of the list to make your point stronger, otherwise you would just have gone with that swoobat, or another pokemon which looks like nothing. So let's just pretend that those are your 'cool' pokemon of the game, and that is what I did, and will do in the post below.

I do agree that these are the better pokemon of the game (atleast some of them) But they are al evolutions, or dragon type, or legendary. I see almost no pokemon (except for the wolf kind pokemon) that you would find normally on a route. There are almost no 'normal' pokemon in this game that looks even a bit 'cool' to put in that list of yours.

And that is my point. You are showing me the exceptions. The exceptions are fine, but the majority still doesn't look like anything. And that is what I am trying to tell your from the start. A good game doesn't run on the exceptions, but on the majority. The fact that 99% of the normal pokemon on a route is not or 'normal' like a zubat or machop, or cool like a ryhorn or something like that is the problem with the game.

When I play pokemon, I only catch a pokemon which I want. Not because I need it, but because I want it. In every pokemon game that tactic worked just fine. In HG I have 15 pokemon at the moment, and I'm at the fifth gym. In B and W I had encountered 2 pokemon so far which I 'liked'. Sandile and my starter. The game issued me to catch pokemon which I don't like, because otherwise I couldn't even continue.

That is the problem with the game. The cool pokemon might be in it, but they are in it way too late. You only find them as evolutions (if you don't use helpsites like me you can never know that a ugly pokemon might change in something good or vice versa so you will probably never catch a pokemon which will become nice in the end), or as legendary, which you will only find at the end of the game, or as dragon pokemon which will also only come in the end of the game.

I hope this makes my point a little bit more clear to you.

Alas, it's a good thing you have so many free time :P I am also enjoying a vacation at the moment, so I haven't got a debate about anything the last few months. Thanks ;p

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You guys are getting a little too into the Pokemon designs side rather than the point of this, being about the perfect score. While a few posts of discussion are fine, it's kind of gone off-topic from that and just is discussing them in general in regards to if they're manly or not! Sooo, I'd like you guys to use this for that discussion - so you can just take the discussion over there, or if you feel the difference between too manly/girly is that thread worthy and different enough from that thread (although I do doubt it), you can continue there, but from now on I'll just be moving posts there. :( Just try to get back to the perfect score side of discussion and we'll be great!

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
    Years
  • Nah. 40/40 is stretching it waaay too much. It's sure an improvement, having a decent storyline, great 3D sequences, and a whole bunch of new Pokémon. It does give you this nostalgic feel, like you're playing Pokémon Blue all over again, but vastly upgraded. But no game is perfect. Of course, not all of the new Pokémon were accepted by the community of pokefans (not meant as pokecommunity lol). And yeah, I sort of felt that once i finished the game, there was not much to do, (or rather, nothing much interesting.) I pretty much hope B/W 2 covers up for the little holes in black and white.

Back