• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you ever notice......

What do you think about the english version?

• I am in the middle but leaning towards agreeing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suicidesal

GirlWithTheMostCake
    Years
    I think the reason they took out the onigiri's (they were in season 1 atleast!) is because they were always reffered to as donuts, so I can see the localizers thinking that showing Ash and Co always eating donuts promoted an unhealthy lifestyle.
    Donuts that are actually riceballs

Bludycomicsinc

If you can read this.....
    Years
    Did you ever notice......

Why do they have to dubb that?For somereason it's wrong for stuff like that to be in american cartoons.It's pretty bad.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Well, that was done when 4Kids had Pokémon. But I don't know if PUSA has referred to them as rice balls. I believe they did.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    The show's voices are okay, but Ash still sounds young because the original Ash voice had gotten a deeper voice and that doesn't go 'along' with the show, so they got a new person to do the job.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, that was done when 4Kids had Pokémon. But I don't know if PUSA has referred to them as rice balls. I believe they did.

Battle Frontier Weavile episode they called them riceballs.

While we're on the subject of riceballs and edits:
    https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XRp-R9s7A&fmt=18
    (I know this is edited but it's hilarious https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SVr2Vu8bS4E&fmt=18

american sorry i should have specified

and yay for this post in just a few hours i gots me 22posts =p

Every English speaking country have the VAs from the US XD They don't need to be "translated" XD

Last edited:

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
    Thats what i thought they didn't need to be translated lol some people can be so stupid =D and how did we get on the topic of riceballs this thread is about the voice actors -_-

Brien

Epic Panda.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    They honestly did turn pokemon into a childish cartoon

I believe it was for the purpose of selling to younger american kids.

Nothing more.

It will never beat the first 2 series, ever.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    If you think the American voice actors are terrible, you should hear the German dub ^^ The times when they tried to stick as close to the original version as possible (voices and acting) are long over. Having the German version for comparison I really like the American voices. I think they fit pretty well and they act pretty well. I also know the Japanese voices and I have to admit, I have no idea whether the voice actors act better or not. The voices fit the characters well but to be able to say something about the acting I would have to understand what exactly they are saying. Subs are great but they do not translate exactly, only correspondingly. How could I tell whether a voice actor does a good job using his voice, if I don't know, what words or sentences he (or she) emphasizes etc.?
    However, I do realize that anime fans tend to prefer the Japanese versions. Some because they really do, some (I guess most of them, especially junger fans) because it is "cooler". For me this is just about the voices. E.g. when it comes to "Fullmetal Alchemist" I prefer the American version over the Japanese version because the voice actors of Ed and Al really do a great job on reflecting their emotions. But I would always choose the Japanese version of Wolf's Rain" over the dub.

What I really don't like about the dub versions are the changes they make but that's another story.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, I liked the original voices for the dub better, but I've said for awhile now that the days of horrible anime dubs are ending. Alot of the dubs these days have a lot of work put into them, and at times are just as good as the Japanese versions. English voice actors are just that: actors, just the same as the actors in the Japanese versions. It's true that not all dubbing companies pay to get the better voice actors, but a few of them do.. and they've made some pretty awesome dubs. Within recent years, dubbing has improved alot in certain companies. So to say that all english dubs are awful, just because they're in english and not Japanese, makes people sound close-minded. :/

Pokemon, however, doesn't have the best dub.. but they're also PUSA, instead of Funimation, ADV, or VIZ..

Ah, and this is juuust my opinion, not trying to force that way of thinking about dubs onto anyone else. XD It's just how I feel.. when I was younger, I use to think all dubs were awful creations of the devil, just because they weren't Japanese, or weren't exactly the same as the Japanese versions. but meh.. That was when I was maybe 11-17. Now I want to be an american voice actress.. so I feel a bit differently.

Last edited:
    Back