• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Hey man, I just wanna say thank you for pouring your energy and time to make this game. This is one of the best digimon game that I've ever played, combining a timeless OG Pokemon gameplay with interesting digimon and digivolve design. Also the sprites are cool! Please keep updating this game and adding more digimon. But I am a bit disappointed because my coronamon cant evolve into apollomon 😢 I also want to report some bugs that I've encountered so far. 1. Day care seems doesnt work for me, I tried on ver 2.0 and 2.2 both give me black screen/crash the game when I tried to withdraw my digimon
    2. My Stingmon level up like 3 or 4 times in a row around lv 31 into 34/35
    3. Once, my Kazemon levelup from only small exp from wild digimon at lv 34 or 35 (I can't remember) and then crash the game. I successfully fix that by giving my Kazemon a rare candy

edit:
    suggestion: can you implement this feature from pokemon unbound too?
    A New HM System: Have access to all of your favourite HMs without the hassle of carrying HM slaves! As long as your Pokemon can learn an HM, they will be able to use it in the overworld

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Got some more bugs to report.
    Sucker punch works regardless of opponents move
    Silphymon in fuschia city surfing water
    M.Greymon can learn Hydro Cannon
    Lillymon tries to learn Sunny Day three times at lvl 57-58ish.
    I'll report again if I find anything else

Thanks for the heads-up! I can probably only fix the Silphymon and Lillymon ones. To be honest I'm still a complete amateur at hacking so I wouldn't know how to nerf Sucker Punch. I can mess around with the Hydro Cannon / Blast Burn / Frenzy Plant move tutor and see what I can do.

Hey man, I just wanna say thank you for pouring your energy and time to make this game. This is one of the best digimon game that I've ever played, combining a timeless OG Pokemon gameplay with interesting digimon and digivolve design. Also the sprites are cool! Please keep updating this game and adding more digimon. But I am a bit disappointed because my coronamon cant evolve into apollomon 😢 I also want to report some bugs that I've encountered so far. 1. Day care seems doesnt work for me, I tried on ver 2.0 and 2.2 both give me black screen/crash the game when I tried to withdraw my digimon
    2. My Stingmon level up like 3 or 4 times in a row around lv 31 into 34/35
    3. Once, my Kazemon levelup from only small exp from wild digimon at lv 34 or 35 (I can't remember) and then crash the game. I successfully fix that by giving my Kazemon a rare candy

edit:
    suggestion: can you implement this feature from pokemon unbound too?

Wow, thank you so much for the glowing review! I really tired my best making it. My hacking knowledge/experience was literally zero so it was very much a learn-as-you-go kind of process.

Ha, you're not the first one to miss Apollomon. I didn't know he was such a popular character. His official sprite is way too large and detailed to cram into a 64x64 pixel box, but there are some amateur sprites of him on DeviantArt that I can use if he's really in such huge demand.

Thanks for letting me know about the glitches. In the newest version I doublechecked all the growth rates, so if Digimon are levelling up in a strange way I would have no idea how to fix it. Sorry. :S

Finally, about the HMs. If it were up to me the whole concept of an HM would be scrapped and replaced with Key Items. Cut would replaced with a machete, Flash would be a lantern, Surf would be raft, etc. I know lots of other hackers share my sentiment so there's probably some guides out there for how to make it happen if you have the skill. Unfortunately my hacking skills are pretty weak so I probably won't be able do it in the foreseeable future. But maybe one day! I'm also considering pumping out a Digimon Emerald one day if I have the time.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Just finished this game and I've gotta say, one of or if not the best pokemon/digimon rom hack I've played. Really liked the sprites of these digimons and overall had the right difficulty. But I really do wish that there were more diverse evolution lines such as apollomon and imperaldramon. :(

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    View attachment 98965

Just finished this game and I've gotta say, one of or if not the best pokemon/digimon rom hack I've played. Really liked the sprites of these digimons and overall had the right difficulty. But I really do wish that there were more diverse evolution lines such as apollomon and imperaldramon. :(

So glad you enjoyed it! I've released a minor update today that gives the original Digimon attacks (Nova Blast, Giga Blaster, etc.) unique animations using ortz3's Animation Editor.

I only watched the first two seasons growing up so I had no idea this Appollomon guy was such a fan favourite lol Imperialdramon is simply too detailed and over-designed to be turned into a compact sprite.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Selecting EV-IV in the pause menu and then going back causes the game to crash.

Sounds like a problem with your emulator. I used the EV-IV checker more times than I can count on all my playthroughs. Did you try VisualBoyAdvance?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2021
    I gotta ask where do i find each digimon fishing and with what rod, i just got the first rod so i was just wondering

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I think to save your valuable resource (time, energy, data, sprite) you can just include small selection of low level digimon (baby and rookie) with basic or general design (stats, ability, moves) and go crazy on branching and high level digimon (ultimate and mega) with more thoughtful/unique design or concept (stats, ability, moves). Also I think every digimon in game should be able to evolve into mega. And to balancing the evolution methods, it should be changed from just giving a digiegg into reach X lv while holding a digiegg

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think to save your valuable resource (time, energy, data, sprite) you can just include small selection of low level digimon (baby and rookie) with basic or general design (stats, ability, moves) and go crazy on branching and high level digimon (ultimate and mega) with more thoughtful/unique design or concept (stats, ability, moves). Also I think every digimon in game should be able to evolve into mega. And to balancing the evolution methods, it should be changed from just giving a digiegg into reach X lv while holding a digiegg

Interesting idea. I once fooled around with the idea of only having 18 babies (one for each Type), and all other Digimon were derivative of them. Eventually scrapped the idea because at the end of the day, it still runs on the Pokemon engine and half the fun of a Pokemon game is traveling to a new area and encountering rare new mons.

Evolution by reaching a certain level while holding a DigiEgg is a really good idea. I'll see if I can implement it at some point.

Last edited:
    Years
    hello, Thank you for the hard work, we finally has 250 mon hehe...
    also just to be sure is safe to use 1.0 save to play 2.3 version?

also when you add X type mon, will you turn it into mega to save some space or will they become separate mon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2021
    Hi, first of all I must say thank you for this great hack, it really is awesome and very well made, and I appreciate the care and hard work you put into this.

The first gym leader (Brock) have 2 digimons who's levels are 16 and 18, I notice that when I went to the gym as soon as I got into the town my digimons where level 9-11, and I had to grind in the bushes near the town or in the near forest, but in both this places the wild digimon where level 2-5, after a long time I was able to get to lvl 15 in 3 of my digimon and was able to defeat Brock, and as soon as I leave the town I saw that the NPC's had digimons back in the 11-15 level range, is this intended? I found weird the amount of grinding that had to be done just to be able to defeat the first gym, but I must say I'm a relative beginner at pokemon games and maybe I missed something, again thank you very much for this hack.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I actually killed brock on level 12.I had to grind a wee bit for lvl 12 but it all comes down to strategy.By all means i am no pro but this game requires more strategy than the normal rom hacks.I don't even know the different types of digimon as i never got around to watching the series 😁

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2021
    Do you want to put antibodies-X (evolution X), BM's and Jogress? And bring more up-to-date digimons, along with more variations of each digimon's evolution? Alter-S/Alter-B/Omega X, Jessmon, etc...

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2021
    Just started this game yesterday and am enjoying it until now
    Looking at the forum, only thing I have found so far is just the fact that the guys in the center near mount moon sells a yanamamon
    I also see that moonmon's ability reveals all the opponent's Digimon moves
    The IV/EV also makes my game enter a black screen event though the song keeps playing , but that I think is connected to me turning the file into an ISO to play on my 3ds

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    hello, Thank you for the hard work, we finally has 250 mon hehe...
    also just to be sure is safe to use 1.0 save to play 2.3 version?

also when you add X type mon, will you turn it into mega to save some space or will they become separate mon?

Glad you enjoy it! And no, 1.0 has a completely different DigiDex than version 2.0 onward. Gonna have to start a new game, sorry.
    I don't know what X type is, sorry. I'm assuming it's some sort of alternate Digivolution?

Hi, first of all I must say thank you for this great hack, it really is awesome and very well made, and I appreciate the care and hard work you put into this.

The first gym leader (Brock) have 2 digimons who's levels are 16 and 18, I notice that when I went to the gym as soon as I got into the town my digimons where level 9-11, and I had to grind in the bushes near the town or in the near forest, but in both this places the wild digimon where level 2-5, after a long time I was able to get to lvl 15 in 3 of my digimon and was able to defeat Brock, and as soon as I leave the town I saw that the NPC's had digimons back in the 11-15 level range, is this intended? I found weird the amount of grinding that had to be done just to be able to defeat the first gym, but I must say I'm a relative beginner at pokemon games and maybe I missed something, again thank you very much for this hack.

Thanks for the feedback! I had a lot of fun making it.

The gym leaders don't mess around. Brock is your heads-up that this game will require a little more strategy than just exploiting Type weaknesses. I hope you didn't find the difficulty curve unpalatable. But to be fair, in the Advice section on the first page I did say
    The game is about 1.5x to 2x times harder than the original Fire Red, so casual players should have a good time with it. It's no pushover, but hardcore nuzlockers and such might want to come up with their own rules to make the game more challenging. Expect a considerable difficulty spike at the Elite Four.

That said let me know if you think the game is overall too easy or too hard. I'm still garnering feedback about how difficult I should make the game.

Do you want to put antibodies-X (evolution X), BM's and Jogress? And bring more up-to-date digimons, along with more variations of each digimon's evolution? Alter-S/Alter-B/Omega X, Jessmon, etc...

I'm gonna be honest with you, I only understood about half of that.
    I grew up in the '90s so the canon from seasons 1&2 is pretty much the extent of my Digimon knowledge. So all this X-antibody and alter form whatever whatever is all Greek to me. If there's a huge demand for it maybe I can do some research on the Digimon Wiki, but if I'm being completely honest this whole game is more or less just a nostalgia trip for me and the other kids that grew up watching the first two seasons. :P

Just started this game yesterday and am enjoying it until now
    Looking at the forum, only thing I have found so far is just the fact that the guys in the center near mount moon sells a yanamamon
    I also see that moonmon's ability reveals all the opponent's Digimon moves
    The IV/EV also makes my game enter a black screen event though the song keeps playing , but that I think is connected to me turning the file into an ISO to play on my 3ds

Oh snap, totally forgot about the Yanmamon seller. I can probably fix that.
    Yeah the Forewarn Ability was buffed in this game. The game is built on Dreamaker's "Old-Shool" Rombase, and I guess that's the way he wanted it. Seems cool to me.
    I had no problem with the IV/EV checker on MyBoy nor VisualBoyAdvance so I think you're ISO theory is correct.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2021
    Thanks a lot for the reply

Regarding feedback about difficulty I
    Am currently still in mt.moon as I wanted to train my current team since I do feel there is a difficulty improvement in the game and want to be prepared for what is to come (leveled my 4 main Mons until 18 before progressing)

With that being said, I do believe strategy plays a big role here, as I beat Brock with level 11 Mons but required both strategy and having the right types with me at the time

Just another thing I noticed: when I got to the dex to find a mon's location (like tsunomon for example) it says it exists but I don't see the flashing red where it would say where I can find them :p
    Since I couldn't find a document with the mon's locations I'm a bit fearful of missing some

Also, the veemon from the trainer in mt moon only knows struggle

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello, thank you for the romhack! I was wondering if there is any way to get these digimon sprites in the party screen? Mine only shows a digivice outline (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjM1zeVPLhA) Sorry if im missing someting.
    Thank you!

Glad you're enjoying it!

The guy in that YouTube video is playing version 1. Back then, there were only 150 Digimon and they were more or less just Pokemon with different names and sprites.

Changing the icons to Digivices was literally just an effort thing. Even in Version 1 they were inconsistent (sizing was all over the place). Still, I may one day bring the icon sprites back if I get enough free time. Thanks for the feedback!

Back