• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DKG's Spriting talent (if i have any :P)

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Well, i fixed up your sharp-edged lines. ;)
smoothly.png

On the left side you see your sprite and among them you see, in red, how the line supposed to be. On the right you see the result and a explanation of how I did the lines and how it's supposed to be (the red lines, are your lines, which aren't right. And the green ones are the right way to make that line.) ;)

Your bird indeed, is cute, but to front and to simple. And has sharp-edged lines (maybe you intended it that way, if so, I appologize). ^^

:o I see. Thnx :D

As for the bird I'm not quite sure what you mean by front and simple :/
but the sharp lines were intended a trait it carries after evolution :)

It's very squarish, and looks very 2D. I like the tadpole though

Um, k. Thanks and I'll see if i can fix the sharpness abit :/
I guess no one likes the adventures of baby eagle :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2010
Oh.. It's supposed to be square. But it should be on more of an angle.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Hey, you're doing great, tadpole looks nice, same with the baby eagle, which can use some work?
Keep on going.

From friend to friend,
`countryemo

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Oh.. It's supposed to be square. But it should be on more of an angle.

:o . And y must it always be at an angle :/

Hey, you're doing great, tadpole looks nice, same with the baby eagle, which can use some work?
Keep on going.

From friend to friend,
`countryemo

Lol, kk. Oh and i got a beta for u to test XD

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Guess I haven't been spriting lately but here is something I did today :)

ei61bo.png

I would say it took me 10 mins to make so....not really 100% good

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
no please, these fakemon need WORK, you can change the head for the trainer

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
no please, these fakemon need WORK, you can change the head for the trainer

Yes I know they need work, I've haven't sprited for about 1 1/2 weeks now, I'm not very experienced or god for that matter, but I hope to learn. The trainer is discontinued also can you be more specific when you say work, what needs work hopefully not the shading again...

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I noticed to problems that are reoccurring in your sprites. First, you use black too often. Black should only be used as an outline at the darkest part of the sprite. On several of your sprites you have it right next to a light shade making the contrast between colors noticeable and unattractive. Secondly, Your palettes aren't the best. Try looking at a pokemon sprites palette and compare it to yours. From there you should be able to see some differences.

The shading is off on a few but it isn't as noticeable as the mistakes I pointed out earlier. I really like your concepts and your line art is great for a beginner you just need to work on the above.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Thank you, Conan Edogawa, believe it or not , darths told me the exact same thing unfortunately I tend to use the default Microsoft Paint pallettes. The shading on the older ones are very off I know, I was however hoping that it was better on the newer ones :/
thanks, I will look into the matter further in the future :)

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
The new OWs have nice shading but the older fakemon do need work. If you have trouble with palettes then try using palettes from existing Pokemon sprites. That's what I did when I first started scratching because I had the same problem.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
The new OWs have nice shading but the older fakemon do need work. If you have trouble with palettes then try using palettes from existing Pokemon sprites. That's what I did when I first started scratching because I had the same problem.

Ok, I tried taking your advice and sprited a really punny Pre-evo.

ev8j1x.png

I tried custom pallettes instead of MS Paint default colours, improvements?

Years
Uhm, dude, that is FAAAAAR too small. Honestly, how do you expect anyone to remember that Pokémon.
Picture this conversation (hypothetical, ofc):
"Dude 1: I can name all 549 Pokémon!
1. Bulbasaur, 2. Ivysaur...25. Pikachu...100. Voltorb, (etc.), 549. ???!

Dude 2: What about [midget mon]?
Dude 1: Wha?"

It's got no memorable features, or anything. I' guessing it's Dragon type, but even that is vague. It's hard to crtisise the sprite as it's too small. If someone advised you to sprite smaller, they're either wrong, if they told you to do so at that extreme, or you took their advice to an extreme.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Uhm, dude, that is FAAAAAR too small. Honestly, how do you expect anyone to remember that Pokémon.
Picture this conversation (hypothetical, ofc):
"Dude 1: I can name all 549 Pokémon!
1. Bulbasaur, 2. Ivysaur...25. Pikachu...100. Voltorb, (etc.), 549. ???!

Dude 2: What about [midget mon]?
Dude 1: Wha?"

It's got no memorable features, or anything. I' guessing it's Dragon type, but even that is vague. It's hard to crtisise the sprite as it's too small. If someone advised you to sprite smaller, they're either wrong, if they told you to do so at that extreme, or you took their advice to an extreme.

I thought it was too small as well :/
I like the story/example, however cause it's so small ppl remember it :D

edit:
resized it in paint. sprited it over again.

Gave it the ability to grow :D

j660d2.png

Last edited:
Years
Well, whilst I'm, here, I might's well crit your other sprites; I'll do everything on the first post.

Oh, and small is an understatement for that sprite, seriously.

You don't like splashing far from 30x30 pixels, do you? It seems that that's the case. Not only is this sprite small - fortunately not as small as midget-mon up there - but it's monotoned. It's just brown. With, like, two pixels of blue. Again, it's got no memorable features or a real definition of whatever it's based on - I got baby dragon, but even that is inspecific (if that's a word). The pose of this fake is very two-dimensional and generic; it look like it was flatenned in it's sleep or something. I can hardly identify any shading at all, really, which is bad.
This would be more suitable for a basic-stage Pokémon, rather than the one above. The orientation of this sprite is improved from before, at least, and it does have some, slighlty unique features, like a magnet tail... presuming that is a magnet tail. Again, the palette is monotoned and, although I am guilty of this, it reuses the palette of it's prevolution, which is pretty unprofessional. The outline for the tail of this Pokémon is really choppy and looks really rigid and out-of-place. It looks pasted on. Furthermore, it seems you attempted to portray the underbelly as a furry spot, but it just appears as a spiky, hard surface. The face is also very... dull, to say the least. At least it's an improvement from it's prevolution.
I'm guessing there are three versions of this sprite, each aiming to get a better orientation, of which it is facing the opponent, however it appears that none of these do that. The first one looks like another one that was ironed in it's sleep, where it was laid in a very uninteresting way. If anything, this looks like a realisticified (again, I doubt that's a word, but I assume you know what I mean) version of a shiny Sandshrew. Sprited badly. From what I see, you've used far too much extensive dithering, in unnecassary places, and it's really not needed much. At all. Dithering is hardly ever needed, anyway, except for when a palette forces too drastic a contrast between shades. Try not to overuse it in future.

It's almost 1 a.m in the morning here, and I looking at my monitor through half-opened eyes, so I'll probably post again later on in the day (almost said tomorrow), when I'm awake. Unless I forget.

Anyway, I hope I've helped a bit; I think I may have been slightly too harsh at times, and I apologize for that; I have nothing against you - all of my crit is from an artistic point of view, the reliability of that, however, tends to vary.

Last edited:

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Well, whilst I'm, here, I might's well crit your other sprites; I'll do everything on the first post.

Oh, and small is an understatement for that sprite, seriously.

You don't like splashing far from 30x30 pixels, do you? It seems that that's the case. Not only is this sprite small - fortunately not as small as midget-mon up there - but it's monotoned. It's just brown. With, like, two pixels of blue. Again, it's got no memorable features or a real definition of whatever it's based on - I got baby dragon, but even that is inspecific (if that's a word). The pose of this fake is very two-dimensional and generic; it look like it was flatenned in it's sleep or something. I can hardly identify any shading at all, really, which is bad.
This would be more suitable for a basic-stage Pokémon, rather than the one above. The orientation of this sprite is improved from before, at least, and it does have some, slighlty unique features, like a magnet tail... presuming that is a magnet tail. Again, the palette is monotoned and, although I am guilty of this, it reuses the palette of it's prevolution, which is pretty unprofessional. The outline for the tail of this Pokémon is really choppy and looks really rigid and out-of-place. It looks pasted on. Furthermore, it seems you attempted to portray the underbelly as a furry spot, but it just appears as a spiky, hard surface. The face is also very... dull, to say the least. At least it's an improvement from it's prevolution.I'm guessing there are three versions of this sprite, each aiming to get a better orientation, of which it is facing the opponent, however it appears that none of these do that. The first one looks like another one that was ironed in it's sleep, where it was laid in a very uninteresting way. If anything, this looks like a realisticified (again, I doubt that's a word, but I assume you know what I mean) version of a shiny Sandshrew. Sprited badly. From what I see, you've used far too much extensive dithering, in unnecassary places, and it's really not needed much. At all. Dithering is hardly ever needed, anyway, except for when a palette forces too drastic a contrast between shades. Try not to overuse it in future.

It's almost 1 a.m in the morning here, and I looking at my monitor through half-opened eyes, so I'll probably post again later on in the day (almost said tomorrow), when I'm awake. Unless I forget.

Anyway, I hope I've helped a bit; I think I may have been slightly too harsh at times, and I apologize for that; I have nothing against you - all of my crit is from an artistic point of view, the reliability of that, however, tends to vary.

Actually I wouldn't have considered that harsh at all I've recieved worse. Yea the lizard not even looking/ignoring you was a pretty pathetic fakemon. However the pre-evo was scratched in less than 7 mins, so I was expecting something like that :/. The middle one is my very first believe it or not, for some reason I got worse after a while :/

well I resized mini-mon I was actually considering naming him that.

thanks for the crit I appreciate it.

ps.Mini sprites= awesome, cause they make ppl think they need glasses.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
I'm sorry, the master, I am very stubborn and don't learn till someone yells at me :P

10pt7vc.png

you might want a magnefiying glass, but it's my new sprite :D

Back