• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do actions speak louder than words?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Words are very powerful things - they're what we use to communicate our thoughts to each other, after all, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. But while words can be all that and more, do actions speak louder than them?

Years
    To be honest, I don't really like that saying. As far as I'm concerned, speaking (typing) is an action too. I think any choice that one makes is essentially an action. Even choosing not to act I believe is a form of action itself - as contradictory as that may seem.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    To be honest, I don't really like that saying. As far as I'm concerned, speaking (typing) is an action too. I think any choice that one makes is essentially an action. Even choosing not to act I believe is a form of action itself - as contradictory as that may seem.
    It's an action, but... I don't know. I'd like a follow up. Show that you mean what you said.

Ayselipera

Yes and no. I can think of actions that are really meaningful and if done in a certain moment would be very powerful, but I think the conditions for an action to be really strong have to be perfect. Words on the other hand either help or hurt quite easily. I can think of countless things I have heard that I still look back on because they hold strongly to me while I can only think of a handful of actions.

Years

It's an action, but... I don't know. I'd like a follow up. Show that you mean what you said.

Let's take an example. We're playing Final Fantasy X. You have three characters and it's a turn based battle system. Each of your characters has the following options.

Attack
    Special
    Item
    Flee
    Standby

In this instance, the bold action is considered inaction because your character doesn't do anything (the purpose is that you sometimes can get two turns with the character in the following phase).

You want a more realistic example? OK fine. Picture this then. You're walking on the street and you pass an alley way. You notice someone is being attacked in this narrow passage. These are your immediate options.

Confront the attacker.
    Walk away.
    Examine the situation.

In this scenario, the third option can be considered an inaction (it's not so black and white though as the previous example). That's basically my angle though.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

Let's take an example. We're playing Final Fantasy X. You have three characters and it's a turn based battle system. Each of your characters has the following options.

Attack
    Special
    Item
    Flee
    Standby

In this instance, the bold action is considered inaction because your character doesn't do anything (the purpose is that you sometimes can get two turns with the character in the following phase).

You want a more realistic example? OK fine. Picture this then. You're walking on the street and you pass an alley way. You notice someone is being attacked in this narrow passage. These are your immediate options.

Confront the attacker.
    Walk away.
    Examine the situation.

In this scenario, the third option can be considered an inaction (it's not so black and white though as the previous example). That's basically my angle though.
    Uhh.. I don't know what you're going on about.

I said it was an action. Technically. But, that personally I'd prefer a follow up action beyond what was said or typed to show that whoever actually meant their words.

I didn't challenge you to prove when an action is considered an inaction or the opposite. o_O

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Well, when I think of this saying, I'm more or less thinking about . . . well, when you say something but do another. In that case, it is the action that speaks louder than the words. Um . . . usually.

However, words are much more powerful most of the time. Er . . . also, actions and words are both powerful, but in different ways. When put together, though, they become . . . well, a lot stronger.

Erm . . . I can't really explain right now, because . . . um, I dunno, I'm lacking the correct language skills at the moment? I must have drained myself writing my character for a role-play earlier . . . lol. Besides, does that need all that much justification?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think actions speak louder than words because there are times when certain actions are misinterpreted as something else by different people.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Hmm. I'm going to try something. This thread, to my mind, could belong either here or in Other Chat, and since it isn't really thriving here, I'm gonna send it on over there for a while to see if a more discussion-y environment will serve it better. LETS SEE HOW THIS GOES

The Slowpoke Kid

Slowpoke Collector
    Years
    People can really say whatever they want if you think about it, what they actually do is what counts. So, I'd like to say actions speak louder(?) but it would depend on the situation.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    i think action speaks louder. paraphrasing a quote from a book I am reading right now, it says,

"words are merely whispers to the wind." one must not take them too hard, else they will be blown by the gusts of the wind. actions, meanwhile mean more than words. You can easily be read through your actions, you can show more through actions.

done not said.

Years
    It depends on who's behind them. Actions & words are tools of people, and only as effective as those behind them. It takes a measure of skill or talent to use them effectively.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Words can be spoken easily and can just as easily hurt or heal, but actions may not always be as powerful and meaningful as words. Words are often difficult to personify as actions. But actions, when carried out meaningfully, are often stronger than words.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    I think that it depends on the situation actually. I've known times where words hurt more than actions, but I've known times that actions helped out more than words. It all depends. But when it comes to kids and teaching them lessons and stuff, actions are stronger. I know that if you still do something, yet tell them not to, it's not going to make any difference. So all in all, it depends on the situation.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
    Actions doesn't speak,but it effect more than words of course..there are lots of people who can decive you with what they say..their actions show if what they say true or not....i myself prefer actions in everything than words

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    I don't think it's correct to say that one is more powerful than the other. They are both, in most cases, dependent on each other.

As such, I believe the saying should be expanded upon to something like "An eloquent pen is more compelling than a forceful sword, and begets more favorable actions among the people if true to its word."

If actions speak louder than words then why is the pen mightier than the sword?

These statements are alluding to two different concepts as they are. But if you *must* put them together refer to what I said above. You don't need a sharp, cruel edge to be mighty nor are actions inspired by words muted.

Last edited:

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    i agree with Keiran; i think they (words and actions) both "speak" for each other.
    words without the backing of actions are baseless, whilst actions without words will leave people confused as to what your true intentions are.

Back