• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do HM slaves bug you?

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
  • Okay- I seriously can't stand giving up one or two spots just for HM slaves throughout the game. It's just feels so wasteful:p The concept of HM's is kinda cool, and it has it's charms, but I always feel like I am carrying dead weight on my team. Does anybody else feel like this?

They almost need to allot spots 7 and 8, but for HM exclusive pokes:D Lol.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • This is a gaming-only sort of thing so I'm gonna toss it into the gaming forums. :3

Years
  • I use HM slaves but I NEVER give up a spot.

This means whenever I need to use an HM slave, I have to run myself over to the nearest Pokemon Center to pull one out. -_-;;

So yeah, I still hate them. >_>'

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    I hate HM slaves because of similar reason as pokeyomom. They are dead weight in my team but if they let us have like five move slots on our pokemon then I wouldn't need dead weight on my team and i would have a lot more fun playing pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't use HM slaves for that exact reasons. Yes, that means my main team of six is weighted down by those accursed HM moves, but at least we have the Move Deleter. I'd rather have a full team of six with HM moves spread among them than have to give up a slot or two.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Slowflake once talked about this. You should be able to carry 8 pokemon, but 2 could not be used in battle, and can only be used as HM Slaves. HOWEVER, you cannot switch the pokemon from "HM SLAVE position" to your fighting party without a PC.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    The only HM moves my current battling team knows are Surf (Mantine), Defog (Mantine), Waterfall (Mantine), and Fly (Charizard). So, Mantine is an HM slave in it's own right; its HM moves are good, though.

Whenever I need to use another HM move, though, I go to a Pokémon Center and fetch a low-level Bibarel that I keep for the purpose. Lucario and Espeon are static team members, so I freely switch stuff as I see fit.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I thought I put this in pokemon general gaming. Lol my bad:C

Slowflake once talked about this. You should be able to carry 8 pokemon, but 2 could not be used in battle, and can only be used as HM Slaves. HOWEVER, you cannot switch the pokemon from "HM SLAVE position" to your fighting party without a PC.

Well I totally agree lol. The only reason I refuse to spread HM's around on my team, is because that feels wasteful 2! I mean there are a few good HM's, but seriously cut on a good pokemon? Arggh so annoying:C

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    To be honest, Ive never had any HM slaves. Ive always taught my "main" Pokémon HM moves. For example on Platinum I taught my Lucario Rock Climb and my Jolteon Strength. If I don't need the HM moves atm I have them deleted by the Move Deleter. And after completing a game I always catch a Geodude for moves like Rock Smash etc. So after the story I do have HM slaves but never during the main story :p
    I don't find them annoying after the story, but I can imagine that they're bothersome from time to time.

Edit: Ive always thought you should be able to delete HM moves yourself and not by a special Move Deleter. That sucks most.

mattman324

Years
  • To be honest, Ive never had any HM slaves. Ive always taught my "main" Pokémon HM moves. For example on Platinum I taught my Lucario Rock Climb and my Jolteon Strength. If I don't need the HM moves atm I have them deleted by the Move Deleter. And after completing a game I always catch a Geodude for moves like Rock Smash etc. So after the story I do have HM slaves but never during the main story :p
    I don't find them annoying after the story, but I can imagine that they're bothersome from time to time.

Edit: Ive always thought you should be able to delete HM moves yourself and not by a special Move Deleter. That sucks most.

I'm in Erica's gym with the only pokemon who knows Cut being Charmeleon, and none with Fly or the ability to learn Fly. It tries to learn Slash, so I get rid of Cut. I save.

What happens after that? I can't escape her gym, and I am now stuck, unable to do anything but reset.

EDIT: Apparently this means I am playing through Erica's gym, and I must need to know how to defeat her. N00bs these days...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2023
    ditto

Okay- I seriously can't stand giving up one or two spots just for HM slaves throughout the game. It's just feels so wasteful:p The concept of HM's is kinda cool, and it has it's charms, but I always feel like I am carrying dead weight on my team. Does anybody else feel like this?

They almost need to allot spots 7 and 8, but for HM exclusive pokes:D Lol.
    i couldn't agree more pokeymom

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • The only time I have ever had any thing that resembles an HM slave was my Red Gyarados in Crystal. All four of his move slots were HM's. Strength, Waterfall, Whirlpool and Surf. Aside from that I just gave them to whoever could use the in my Team.

I've always hated Flash though, and was so happy when I found out it was a TM in DPPt, just to be bumed out to when I got Defog.

mattman324

Years
  • The only time I have ever had any thing that resembles an HM slave was my Red Gyarados in Crystal. All four of his move slots were HM's. Strength, Waterfall, Whirlpool and Surf. Aside from that I just gave them to whoever could use the in my Team.

Back when I was a n00b, I was the same (although I'm different now). My main pokemon was a level 100 Feraligatr with Surf, Strength, Cut, and Whirlpool. My side was a level 85 or so Ho-oh (I had Silver) with Fly, Fire Blast, Flash, and Swift (which my sister and I thought was godly)

Ayselipera

Well the only HMs I bother teaching to my main pokemon are Surf, Fly and Strength. I seldomly teach waterfall.

So I'm usually left with only one pokemon to fill the spot. I don't carry it with me all the time though. I just keep a mental note of where I saw a tree blocking an item and I go back there later with my HM slave. Still, it is very annoying.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I dont really use HM slaves that much. I actually teach the HM moves to my team. (that are used most i.e fly surf waterfall and rock climb)
    they can be useful in battle too, hi ya secret weapon: HM moves xDDDDD

Years
  • HM Slave Bidoof/Bibarel is the only one to bother me from those I have used over the years.
    I do teach one HM to certain Pokemon not fully evolved.

Mostly due to liking certain guys before Generation transition offered "ugly"
    evolution.

Rock Climb & Dig Onix
    Dig & Cut Nincada
    Abra Flash
    Vibrava Fly
    Strength Gible & Machop
    Dive Marill & Smeargle

Smeargle is still my consistant slave.

Back