• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do I Really Have To Catch Em All?

jcl

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Is it necessary to complete the pokedex by catching all of the Pokemon in the game? If I do so will it unlock something? Or is it ok if I just see them all without catching them?

There are only 7 boxes and I'm getting tired of catching every Pokemon I see. ;o;

Skalla

Drama Queen
    Years
  • Yep! Thats how its always been done and they're still doing it. Right now its not clear what the reward for completing the Pokedex in Gen 6, and in previous entries it was just a thank you from Game Freak. In B/W2 there was a Shiny Charm. And don't give up! If you really want to complete the Pokedex you can ask some friends to help and maybe even take a break for it every once in a while.

This Gen I intend to complete the national Pokedex. From my previous games I think I have most of the older Gen Pokemon, and since Kalos is so diverse it should not be a problem.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The games are basicly about catching them all. That is how it has always been and there is more than 7 boxes. Just put 1 pokemon and each and you will unlock more and keep doing that. I am not sure if anyone has completed the dex yet in the game so we do not know the rewards 100%.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    There are more then 7 boxes. They expand when you start filling them all up. For example I now have 15 boxes.

jcl

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Well, there's definitely something to unlock... I just found the game director in the hotel in Coumarine City. We're supposed to go to him after we catch all of the Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2016
    Well like, it's not mandatory. You're not going to be told in game to catch them all, but. It's Pokemon. It kinda comes with the territory.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's all up to you, really. ^^ You may do it if you want, as it's a great way to kill time. If you don't want to though, then that's perfectly fine. Personally, I wouldn't do it, because I don't have the time or motivation. If I did, then I'd definitely give it a go. The last time I've ever tried completing the PokéDex was about seven to eight years ago, when playing Pokémon Emerald. I was pretty close to have it finished, but wasn't quite able to get the job done since there were a couple of Pokémon that I couldn't get a hold of.

Nobody's completed their PokéDex yet in Pokémon X and Y, so unfortunately, we're not exactly sure what would happen if we ever got it done. :( We'll find out pretty soon though, I'm sure.

Sirfetch’d

As with all games, I am sure that you will get a little something for completing the Pokedex if you choose to do so. I personally have set a goal to complete the Pokedex for the first time since my Blue version. With so many different ways to trade now and so many amazing Pokemon to obtain, I have never wanted to do this more than now and hopefully I will achieve this goal in my X version. I have already started doing wonder trades, GTS trades, and trading with friends here for trade evolutions so I already have a jump start on my Pokedex completion. However, I am only about 15% there so a long way to go!

I say go for it though! I feel like you will get the most experience out of the game if you do decide to "Catch Em All." Good luck with this!

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
    Years
  • I was wondering this too. It's not like I can't catch it but it's just a hassle, haha. Oh well, if it will give me a goody at the end, I don't mind buying 10,000 pokeballs during the duration of the game, haha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    well you can keep breed your starter pokemon trade everyone pokemon in the GTS

Jett311

Gaming since 1994
    Years
  • I hope theres a decent reward for it. I plan on completeing the pokedex anyways. I catch every pokemon I encounter, then after I beat the game I will retrack the ones I missed as well as breeding and trading other people for the rest that I need.

AND OMG LILIKOI!!!!!! Long time susbcriber here, glad to see a familiar face on PC :D

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I've never completed the Pokedex, but this Gen i might give it a go.
    Sure, there are more Pokemon than ever, but thanks to the PokemonBank, the user friendly PSS and the fact that 450 Pokemon are already included in the Kalos Dex, it could be an easier task than previous Gens. I really really hope there is a reward besides the usual thank you.

X-Calem

Savior of a Broken World
    Years
    • SG
    • Seen Oct 27, 2014
    I've never completed the Pokedex, but this Gen i might give it a go.
    Sure, there are more Pokemon than ever, but thanks to the PokemonBank, the user friendly PSS and the fact that 450 Pokemon are already included in the Kalos Dex, it could be an easier task than previous Gens. I really really hope there is a reward besides the usual thank you.

A Trainer Card Upgrade and a little in-game certificate, as usual like in all previous games. :P
    On the bright side, you can post your little achievement of finishing the Pokedex in your signature here in the forums for bragging rights. :)

jcl

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Every time I encounter a Pokemon I feel the need to catch it. ^^; I guess I'm just feeling very OCD this generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    It is very likely that I will finish the game only actually throwing 3 pokeballs. Honedge, Skrelp, and Fletchling.

The others are "given" to me by NPCs (Starters & Fossil)

Back