• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do non-human animals have feelings?

Alkaide

••» I hate my homework!
Years

• It is true that animals cannot express themselves as good as humans, but IMO they express their feelings in their own ways.

Ex. Once a calf of a cow died due to some reason and the farmer tied him in a gunny bag and kept it besides the hut where the sack was easily visible to the cow. She was continuously looking at it making lower moos.. tears came to her eyes. the Farmer took he body and buried it somewhere, but when the sack was brought again she was looking at it in way as if she wanted to say that , "what did they do to my son, where is he?".

Many other incidents tell this too. So I believe that they have feelings.

ThornPython4

Team Popplio
    Years
  • Don't even get me started on this, but yes, they do.

People argue they don't, but animals larger than a Leopard Gecko, or Squirrel tend to have some sense of feelings and emotions. Smaller animals don't have much due to their low-developed brain, all they can do is act mostly on instinct. Sad, but true. Much larger animals, like Cats, Horses, or Elephants, do very well understand feelings and emotions.

Horses are very social animals, and understand deep emotions within other horses and humans. This is why most horse owners like to form a bond with the animal. They are very loyal animals.

Cats/Dogs are similar, but are smaller, so they do have some instinct capabilities that run their actions. Cats will chase after bugs when they see one, and dogs are powerful and can easily kill a smaller animal. They are descendants of Wolves after all :P believe it or not.

Elephants are one of the most mysterious animals on the planet. They have been seen/known to mourn lost family members or even stranger elephants. No one knows why they do, but they seem to understand death. Elephants are also very social within their families and protect each other however possible.

Those were just random choices on my part to explain, but it's true, animals do understand feelings. :D

Years
  • When I bite my dog he makes a loud noise and then he goes to his bed and pouts.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    They are descendants of Wolves after all :P believe it or not.

Actually this is still being disputed, whether it was wolves, dholes or some other wild canid. For a start, dholes are easier to domesticate than wolves and are less aggressive towards humans.

Sorry to go off topic but I thought it might be necessary to clear up that it's not a set in stone fact that they came from wolves.

Just something to think about though, unrelated to the origin of dogs (and to keep this post on the topic at hand):

About microbial animals such as single-celled amoeba, for those who don't yet know they work by a bunch of cellular mechanisms that are both chemical and mechanical in nature (and sometimes even electrical). They have "organelles" which are their own equivalent to our organs - they are separate components that each have their own separate job within the organism, but are all essential and work in harmony to keep the organism alive. They are built from proteins encoded by its genetic information.

The way they work means that they have all the basic survival attributes you would expect in a macroscopic multicellular organism, such as the ability to sense and avoid danger, the ability to sense and seek food or other benefits and in many species the ability to exchange information with other organisms in its environment. All this is done by cellular mechanisms which, to us, seem rather robotic in nature because we can predict how they work as a series of mechanical and chemical reactions, each action triggering a reaction, which triggers another reaction, etc. Requiring no intelligence that we can identify, it's like the organism is on autopilot all the time.

However, something to think about is that, in truth, we work exactly the same way. There is no difference except we simply have more atoms in our bodies, with additional layers of complexity (such as cell organisation and differentiation). But our basic function is no less "robotic" as a microscopic multicellular tardigrade, or even unicellular amoebas, in the physical reality.

The main difference is that we are simply more intelligent, we even have an organisation of specific cells for storing and processing complex information (or brain). But does intelligence correlate to our ability to feel?

Looking back at the amoeba, first thing we notice in respects to intelligence and consciousness is the lack of a brain. They don't have one. They don't even have anything like one. Some might say the nucleus, but that's not true. It doesn't store and process information. It just provides the blueprints for making proteins - nothing more. It doesn't even decide which proteins should be made when. The cellular mechanisms do that, working together.

But is it right to say "decide"? They don't have a brain - they don't have intelligence, right? Well, to them, the closest thing they have to a brain is their cytoplasm and membrane and everything in it, pretty much everything but the nucleus. If they exhibit anything close to intelligence, they do have a facility for it, just like our brain, except it takes up most of their bodies.

It's simpler than an animal brain by orders of magnitude, but it's still, arguably, an intelligence. Our own intelligence can be rationalized down to simple functions just like the amoeba cell, the main difference being we don't yet understand the relationship of all the different neurons in our brain. We still don't fully understand how it works, but what many have come to understand as a "neural net" can be replicated in computer systems in a much simpler way (obviously due to limitations in computer processing, we cannot replicate human intelligence). Not just simpler by size and complexity, but also the way the information is passed on, in a computer code is used. In the brain, we're not quite sure what is used as the basis of information. It might just be a series of 1s and 0s (not literally, I kind of mean "on" and "off").

That's something cells lack and that a brain possesses - a neural net. A network of nodes and connections that, somehow, exchange and pass on impulses that, somehow, allow intelligence to exist. But again, it's just a bunch of mechanisms and chain reactions, except on a much, much bigger scale.

How do we define consciousness in all of this? Where do we decide where an organism stops being a "biological robot" and starts being a conscious feeling being? Is it at the cellular stage? Is it at the formation of a brain? Or is it only the higher and more complex brains? How do we tell?

If you were to take a human and torture them, they would feel many complex emotions, we know this because we are human. Same with if we gave them the most heart-warming gift any person could give. We know how touching it is because we can relate. If we were to take a dog and torture them, they would whine and whimper, possibly soil themselves, yelp, scream, submit themselves in hopes of making it stop, or fight back viciously in defence. If we were to give them the biggest scummiest bowl of food a doggy could ever want, they would jump around all excited until you put the bowl down, and they'd dive right in. We can see the behaviours in the contrasting extremes but we can only take a mere guess at what they're feeling. We can guess, however, they they don't feel the same complexity we do. They don't have the modesty or humility the human might have in receipt of their gift. They may or may not feel "thankful" for it, possibly not. They may not feel the need to question why they are being hurt in the other extreme, and instead just want to get away or make it stop (or maybe they do? Maybe to them it's just confusion over why this is happening?) As we go further down the ladder of intelligence (fish, insect, and so on) we can expect fewer and fewer layers of complexity in the animal's behaviour and feelings.

But even a single cell organism such as the amoeba will pull away from harm and try to escape. Even they will follow sources of food, as said earlier before. Just, perhaps, it is the most basic single layer of intelligence any organism can have. Does this make them feeling? Who knows. Consciousness is a funny thing, we're not sure what it is yet. We're not sure if it exists as a combination of factors working together, or if its some kind of energy we have yet to discover. I just feel a lot of the time we can't discount even the remote possibility that even single celled organisms "feel".

tl;dr: A rambling on whether or not the possibility could exist that "amoebas" and other simple organisms may or may not feel on levels far, far simpler than we might be able to comprehend.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Why is this even a question?

Even plants can feel love.

Years
  • Have I answered this here before?
    Oh well, whether I have or not, in my opinion, yes, animals do have feelings.
    Why not?

Whenever I cry, my dog comforts me. He can usually tell I'm crying when he hears me sniffling, then he'll come over and nudge me or lick me, and that always makes me feel better.

Honestly, what's with the theory that only humans are able to feel sympathy?

raging lion

Veteran Player
    Years
  • All animals have feelings.
    I myself have a pet cat and I can know his mood just by his facial expressions.
    I have seen many animals happy, sad, some angry (at me) and many others. So I know that animals have feelings too.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Of course. We're just another animal. And animal that's over populated and ruined a lot of the earth, but still animals. Animals have feelings. You can tell when an animal is hurt, sad, angry, happy, excited, bored etc. They're really just the same as us on emotion levels, except most animals don't tend to keep grudges for very long if you anger them or hurt them.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
  • Even plants can feel love.

???

plants can only exist. they cant feel pain, or love in the sense we can. There cells can react to the enviroment, but in the end they are not self aware. There like computors, they can only do what there programmed to do.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • ???

plants can only exist. they cant feel pain, or love in the sense we can. There cells can react to the enviroment, but in the end they are not self aware. There like computors, they can only do what there programmed to do.

Actually they can. I can't be bothered to explain or find links, so just beleive it or not. They can't feel it as well as animals, but they can feel love. Tell a plant that you love it everyday when you care for it, it will most likely thrive. Tell a plant you hate it everyday, it will most like die or struggle. Though I don't think they'd have thoughts etc. The plants around our house don't get all excited when we 'feed' them, like an animal would xD. But that's just my belief and i'm a pyscopath soooo....

Sorry for going off topic there

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • If they didn't, how would one develop a bond with its owner? Dogs, for example, learn to love the person it spends its time with. Everything's made up of the same energy.

Tell a plant that you love it everyday when you care for it, it will most likely thrive. Tell a plant you hate it everyday, it will most like die or struggle. Though I don't think they'd have thoughts
    Actually, they proved that theory wrong on Mythbusters.

Last edited:

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
  • yes^

Actually they can. I can't be bothered to explain or find links, so just beleive it or not. They can't feel it as well as animals, but they can feel love. Tell a plant that you love it everyday when you care for it, it will most likely thrive. Tell a plant you hate it everyday, it will most like die or struggle. Though I don't think they'd have thoughts etc. The plants around our house don't get all excited when we 'feed' them, like an animal would xD. But that's just my belief and i'm a pyscopath soooo....

Sorry for going off topic there

Thats just superstition. Its human nature to think everything thinks like you. plants are just a collection of cells that do things, just like humans, (but we have the ability to know that we are just a collection of cells.) plants cant think, much less understand what your saying to it.

raging lion

Veteran Player
    Years
  • yes^

Thats just superstition. Its human nature to think everything thinks like you. plants are just a collection of cells that do things, just like humans, (but we have the ability to know that we are just a collection of cells.) plants cant think, much less understand what your saying to it.

Plants do feel everything. I remember having a lesson in which some scientist give shock to plants and the plant shivers in pain. The machine attached to it shows movement or something like that. I had this lesson many years back. I don't remember all of it. But plants have feelings too

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Plants do feel everything. I remember having a lesson in which some scientist give shock to plants and the plant shivers in pain. The machine attached to it shows movement or something like that. I had this lesson many years back. I don't remember all of it. But plants have feelings too
    If that's the case, and you can prove it, then Vegetarians are in a bit of a pickle.

Hahaha, aren't I funny?

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
    Years
  • Most studies now a days suggest animals in fact DO have feelings. Through testing its found that the brains of some animal react almost the exact same as human's brains do when given the correct stimuli. This includes pain, anger, happiness, sadness, and other basic emotions. Some testing is also suggest plants do this too. Of course these studies arn't completely proven, but it is very likely.

Its also important to relize human are nothing more than animals and we have feelings; so why shouldn't other animals?

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
    Years
  • Well, every living thing has feelings right? Even animals themselves, even though they can't express it the way a human can, they express their emotions a way that they can. For example, a dog whimpers when their sad right? well that's their way of saying their not happy, and that is consider to be a feeling whether they can speak it or not. So in conclusions, I do believe non human animals have feelings like a human.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
  • Plants do feel everything. I remember having a lesson in which some scientist give shock to plants and the plant shivers in pain. The machine attached to it shows movement or something like that. I had this lesson many years back. I don't remember all of it. But plants have feelings too

just becuase its shivering dosent mean its feeling pain. It dosent have a central nervous system and thats important, becuase with no nerves theres no pain, or a brain to feel the pain.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Certainly an animal can feel emotion- I haven't seen a reason to dispute that. It's just not the same level of emotion a human can experience.
    Loyalty is one thing, love is another.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Loyalty is one thing, love is another.
    That's actually a good point. However, wouldn't one have to have some form of love to be loyal to someone? Unless they were forced to by their job, but animals aren't forced.

Someone related to me, I forget who, died a long time ago, and he had a German Shepard. When he died the German Shepard sat outside his gravestone, and did not move once. Even for food or water. People tried to take him home but whenever he had the chance, he escaped and ran straight back to the grave. He died sitting next to it. There's love there.

Back