• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do people still play X/Y?

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I wasn't aware Nintendo has sold out of 3DS batteries. I'm glad I got mine while it was on sale.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    I remember playing X a few years ago, and despite the feeling of beauty was well done (I suppose is because the region is based on France), I felt bored with the game's difficulty. I never felt any challenge, at least to complete the main story, so I've never replayed it.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I very rarely come back to X and Y compared to other games, think its been about two years since my last playthrough of this gen

Probably not likely to play through it again any time soon with the amount of other games I'd rather play instead of it right now (including plenty of other Pokémon games)

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • X/Y were the games in the series I saw the least value in replaying for a long time. Their QoL additions to the series cannot be overstated, and the jump to 3D was a boon for the franchise. I think they single handedly crafted the original poketubing scene too. But as we got new entries with similar-to-better QoL, X/Y's lack of standout gameplay or challenge compared to the other games made it feel pointless.

But reminiscing on how iconic its day in the sun was, I returned to it a few years ago. I think these games are incredibly relaxing in a standout way. Sometimes it feels less like an adventure and more like a frolic through disneyland. I think that aspect can make or break the experience for people. For me, it doesn't blow my mind, but I do appreciate its place in the mainline game roster and will find ways to revisit it every few years. It's just not in constant rotation.

Years
  • I don't think I'll be returning to X/Y. If I want a modern Pokémon experience with an updated roster and modern features I have much more compelling options in the latest games, and if I want an old school Pokémon experience I'd rather replay the Gen 4-5 games or the Gen 2-3 rom hacks that may be even more updated. XY fall somewhere in the middle without being particularly great at anything, and at this point I can't really think of anything interesting they'd have to offer that I couldn't find better done in other games.

They have Megas... and that's pretty much it (Fun fact, I didn't actually used Megas in my only Y playthrough). I find the criteria for choosing which Pokémon wold get Megas very questionable, and I honestly prefer gimmicks like Terastal or even Dynamax at this point.

I agree, XY is kind of a combination of "classic" and "modern" Pokemon while not quite nailing either. A lot of new features like the updated EXP share, 3D graphics and the greater online integration were introduced in XY; but they aren't as fleshed out as they are in newer games due to it being their first iteration. It's also the last "traditional" Pokemon game in many respects, being the last game to have things like the bicycle and the traditional 8 gym format (ie, no trials, open world or stadium battles); but it's paper thin plot and lack of difficulty make it a sub-standard "classic" game as well. I've heard it's good for nuzlockes though.

Back