• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do people take pokemon too seriously?

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    (mods, if this thread is in the wrong section, please move to the correct subforum)

So my question to the rest of you peeps, are there people out there who take this game too seriously further than it needs to be? I know that there are plenty of other online forums dedicated to trading and battling pokemon, but realize that its just a game. a phenomenal game, but a GAME nonetheless. My take on it is that its just a game to have fun with other people.

I just would like to know the rest of your opinions. please discuss and no arguing/flaming.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    There are separate forums dedicated to Pokemon related topics, please make sure to check around before creating threads.

-Moved-

Becky_x

Looking for a shiny Bellossom
    Years
    In what way do you mean by too seriously/further than it needs to be?

I think it depends on personality really. I know I've got a quite an addictive personality and when I saw how many Pokemon I'd need to catch to have the whole National Dex I was like "I'll give that a go!" XD

I've also started collecting merchandise but I don't think I'm taking it too far by doing that :)

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    Pokemon is probably one of those games and manga that have stayed with me for a long time to this day, and I still love it with all my heart. But, if I find myself going insane over it, I try to do to other things like facebook, hangout with friends, play music, exercise, ect.

lily12973486

Your Worst Nightmare
    Years
    I really think you need to explain your question better. I love pokemon. I have a few GBA / NDS games. I guess i go overboard with the trading cards though. I have like 750+.My friend loves pokemon more than life. All she wants to do is play pokemon. She basicly lives,beathes,and dreams of pokemon! It's VERY scary actually. Is that sort of what you mean?

revelp8

Years
    There are separate forums dedicated to Pokemon related topics, please make sure to check around before creating threads.

-Moved-

yea sorry about that.

for example about taking pokemon too seriously

someone deleted the save data on your game? would you throw a fit?
    if someone just beat you 6-0, would you get really angry?
    there's a shiny pokemon that you absolutely must catch, so you go out of your way to get it by any means necessary.

its a vague question to begin with i know, but im just curious as to how everyone else feels about the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    It's a yes and no for me. I don't battle, so I really don't care if I get beaten six-nothing. However, I'd be pretty angry if my save data was deleted by someone else. It's not fit-worthy, by any means, but I'd still get angry. XD;

And as for shinies... I don't care about them to even think about them. :x

So, I guess, for me, no, I don't take the game too seriously, but there are people out there who do, and they scare me. ._.;

Phoenix_Mew

Trainer of all things adorable
    Years
    I would most definitely throw a huge hissy fit if someone erased all my game data. While it is just a game, Pokemon has always been more than that for me. During the hard times growing up, it was a good way to escape my life. The Pokemon were my friends. And still are.

I love the franchise, I love the game. Am I a tad obsessed and nerdy?

Yup.

Do I care?

Not an ounce.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    someone deleted the save data on your game? would you throw a fit?
    if someone just beat you 6-0, would you get really angry?
    there's a shiny pokemon that you absolutely must catch, so you go out of your way to get it by any means necessary.

Oh, if someone deleted my Pearl save file when I have beaten the Elite Four, gotten the National Dex, and got a shiny in the PC, I would definetly throw a fit.

I don't like battling, I like contests, so I don't get that situation.

I would definetely want a shiny Pikachu, but that comes in chances. So, I don't go crazy over it.

Well, if you say TOO seriously, I do. I am OBSESSED over it, you know. But I don't really want to die for it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I am part of an evil cult that worships Nidoran F because it is blue and awesome.
    Every night, we gather, robed, in the back of an abandoned shoe factory and we draw pentagrams and light candles on the floor. Afterward, we offer a sacrifice to summon the great spirit of Nidoran. The sacrifice is usually a cat. Then, we march out into the night, wielding torches and pickaxes. We kill anyone who isn't part of the cult or does not own a Nidoran F... In real life.

At the moment we're building a rocket ship so we can go to the moon and harvest Moon Stones to evolve our Nidorina into Nidoqueen. We don't have much money or many financial supporters, so we have to rob people and beat them until they give us money.

Spoiler:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I don't take the pokemon games too far i know people who do though. It is weird to take a game so seriously sometimes. I know Wi-Fi is serious and stuff but in just general i don't really care

lily12973486

Your Worst Nightmare
    Years
    I've had my game stolen and the data deleted before. I was VERY angry. after five months of playing firered i finally beat the elite four. the very next day at church it was gone. got it back a month and a half later. All my work down the drain. It took four months to redo everything I'd worked for.
    I take battling very seriously. If I get beaten 6 to 0, I would go crazy trying to build up a new and better team.
    I have alot of shinies so i don't really care. In fact I only keep shinies so i have about 25.
    My life is pokemon basicly. My mom and I watched it all the time when I was a baby. When pokemon just came out. I've watched ever since. I got my best friend started on pokemon too. We go crazy over it. We take it very seriously. We look out for magical beings that can grant wishes so we can wish for pokemon to be real. but for only us to have them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've never known anyone to take Pokemon seriously, that kind of fanticism belongs to SSBB fanpersons and people who play Halo too much. :B

On the contrary, I actually think it's the people that ridicule Pokemon fans that are the ones who take it too seriously. They all seem to think Pokefans are 'immature little runts' (for lack of a better term) and will go out of their way to criticise said fans over nought but a simple franchise.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I am part of an evil cult that worships Nidoran F because it is blue and awesome.
    Every night, we gather, robed, in the back of an abandoned shoe factory and we draw pentagrams and light candles on the floor. Afterward, we offer a sacrifice to summon the great spirit of Nidoran. The sacrifice is usually a cat. Then, we march out into the night, wielding torches and pickaxes. We kill anyone who isn't part of the cult or does not own a Nidoran F... In real life.

At the moment we're building a rocket ship so we can go to the moon and harvest Moon Stones to evolve our Nidorina into Nidoqueen. We don't have much money or many financial supporters, so we have to rob people and beat them until they give us money.

Spoiler:

@the Person who =repped me: Oh, it was all in good fun. Besides, I was referring to Satanism's pentagrams, not Wiccan. Pshaw, the rest I just made up based on whatever my mind thought of when presented with the word "cult" or "occult."

revelp8

Years
    thats on another subject though, because the view of the opinion (or whatever) is not from someone who plays the game regularly.

thanks for all the answer guys. keep em coming

i think i have a better understanding towards other members as well from reading all the responses.

Saruboy

Closet pokemon fan
    Years
    Eh... if someone erased my game, I'd be pretty P.O'ed, mainly because I have so many Pokemon one of my versions. But I'd get over it.

I like the game and all, but to say I'm one of those uber fanboy types with a ponytail, bad hygene and a Cheetoes-stained WOW shirt, that spends every waking moment of their lifes playing the game; sorry, no, there's more to life than that. (If that description actually applies to any of you out there, I apologise.) Spend time playing Pokemon, or spend time with the wife-to-be......... wife. Easy choice.

Spoiler:

Hey, you're in it too? Cool!! It's true, we do kill for Nidoran. We also have an ice cream social every Sunday. Mmmm......... ice cream...

Last edited:
    Back