• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Poke'mon die?

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Fossils and the pokemon Tower in R/B/G/Y/LG/FR and the cementary in Mt.Pyre in R/S/E also the tower near Soleceon Town(check my spelling) practically Screams that pokemon dies but in every battle almost all attacks are fatal but just pop by PKMN center your pokemon is ok even it took you days to bring it there so does a pokemon die?

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    I think I can sorta explain this phenomena, sort of, maybe Pokemon only die from old age and human weaponry and abuse.
    Think about it, in Pokemon movie 11 Giratina and the Sky Bouquete, Giratina actually came close to dieing thanks to a 'human' machine.
    So my explanation is, Pokemon don't die from each others attacks, only from old age and human intervention. Arceus has something to do with this I bet.

Years
    DARN YOU HUMANS! YOU ALMOST KILLED MY FAVORITE POKEMON! (second favorite actually) and i cry in almost all of the pokemon movies, Jirachi wishmaker, celebi, lucario (havent seen mewtwo yet nor lugia, ho-oh and others) manaphy. ya.. sad.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
    In my fan fiction they do and I'm pretty sure they die in the game. Lavender town is a great example of that in the game but it is never pursued in the context of the game. Death is quite possible in the pokemon universe.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Pokemon get killed all the time in the games...like the OP said, Lavender Town, Mt. Pyre, and the Lost Tower(?) in Sinnoh are clearly memorials to dead pokemon as evident by the numerous gravestones and the abundance of wild ghosts in these areas.

However, pokemon have only been shown to die from old age and human abuse. Battles in the games end in the pokemon fainting for the same reason human participants in RL combative sports don't die every time they lose a match. Their opponents apply non-lethal force in their blows so that even if they lose by knockout, they'll be just fine after a day or two of rest. >_>

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    I think the first 2 (Latios & Lucario) died due to a power overload, they went above their physical limits and their bodies just gave up.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    They never die in battle, they have the faint status.
    Besides, Nintendo just wouldn't allow it without the censorship :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    i don't see how horndrill isn't fatal.......i mena a drilling horn.also i don't think it's ever been shown in the anime cept once and it was just a really weak jab by a seaking.in fact do they ever show move like bite or crunch actually hitting?

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    yeah probably.
    how does it die?? well i dont think we know.
    i assume if it like takes a bullet, then it'll die.
    lack of food, it'll die.
    to much damage in battle, possibly.
    thats really all i can think of

oh and old age.
    the answer for me is a maybe

Idiomorph

Pokémon Geneticist
    Years
    There's several examples in the games (the graveyards, historical records, Pokédex entries about Pokémon eating each other), the anime/movies (sort-of-maybe: Celebi, Lucario, Darkrai), and the manga (Giovanni clearly kills a pair of Magmar, and a Victreebel can be seen eating a Rattata, I think).

And just thinking about it, they would have to die fairly frequently. Pokémon clearly reproduce at a high rate (RIDICULOUSLY high in the games, as my 1000+ egg hatchings will attest), and have also clearly been around for a very long time (again, historical records), so if they didn't die the ecosystem would be absurdly oversaturated-- I mean, what would they all eat?!

Years
    • Age 30
    • ?
    • Seen Nov 24, 2009
    Okay, so we have noticed that Pokemon exchange blows until one is unconcious, in a regular Pokemon battle. The last one standing is the victor. This, however, is similar to sports like Wrestling: they wrestle until one is down for 10 seconds, and then the victor is decided as the last one standing. So, basically, Pokemon never even try to kill each other. Why would they?

In theory, following this logic, it is quite possible for a Pokemon to kill another if they continue whacking it while it's unconcious. It is also possible for people to kill Pokemon, again in theory.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Yes, Pokemon die. No, you won't see them dying any time soon in your games while you're playing. You might hear of it in the storylines, when that Marowak was killed in FR/LG, but no Pokemon will die besides the ones that are part of the storyline.

Back