• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do the ends justify the means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
Years
  • Interesting question.... yes, I would. Well, I guess it depends on the goal I am trying to reach, really, but for your example, yes, I definitely would. Because if I didn't, if it felt too wrong, I would feel guilty for the rest of my life.

I can't drive, though, so it'd be a pretty crazy ride. XD

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    That's Murder one to save many type deal. As dark as it may seem, in my opinion. Murdering 12 to save many would work. Humans as much as some forget it, we are part of Nature. Nature, is the growth of death. Plants grow from the dirt, dirt which is decayed corpse matter of many things. This is how it is.

On the more scientific mind, if it makes more sense steal the car, then thats what you do. This as well, would play chord to your own moral credo, than anything else. My credo comes strongly from Bushido. So, I would steal the car, and also not regret the meter maid I hit with the car while trying to stop the bomb.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • If it saves lives the ends do justify the means. But if it's only to achive something that doesnt involve a life or death matter for anyone including yourself then it's wrong as it ever was. I myself place life above all other things. In other words if I needed to steal a car to get to a bomb that could wipe a city the size of new york off of the face of the earth so I could defuse the thing then heck yeah I'd steal that car. To hell with the consequences later. especially if I just saved the guy I'm stealing from's rear end from getting atomized in a bomb explosion. But on the same token I'd ask for the car first. I'd not resort to stealing the car unless I absolutely needed to do it to save lives.
    More lives at stake would mean I'd have less hestiance to break a law that is preventing me from rescuing someone. But if it was only one person that would die I'd not steal a car or anything drastic. I might run a few stop signs and drive like a bat outta hell but that's it.

In the end it all depends on what the situation is. In the case of lives threatened the ends usually do justify the means. Even in cases that could result in someone you care about being seriously physically hurt or something...The ends do justify the means.

But, Here's the catch to living by such a motto...You gotta take responsibility for what you did. If it turns out that even after you save someone's life and they still want you locked up then you just take it gracefully. In the end it doesnt matter. Your good deed will be repaid in the end and the unjust will be punished.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Just my thoughts: This is a rubbish question with no valid answer. ¬_¬

It will depend on what the 'means' and 'ends' are.
    Many posters in this thread will give a very drawn out and unrealistic example. Then conclude it with 'Yes/No'.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Yes the ends justify the means, but the end itself must be justifyable. If you have to do something illegal to achieve a goal, it is likely that the goal itself is also illegal.

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    What? Stopping a bomb from blowing up isn't exactly illegal in most places.
    But if a bomb was going to blow a whole city up, and I knew how to stop it, I'd just leave it.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    What? Stopping a bomb from blowing up isn't exactly illegal in most places.
    But if a bomb was going to blow a whole city up, and I knew how to stop it, I'd just leave it.

I used the term "generally". Of course there are going to be exceptions. To use your example, anyone capable of stopping a bomb will either be in a position involved with the police and given additional privilages to get the bomb stopped. Therefore it would not be illegal.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    ohoho, I was wondering why this thread seemed so familiar, I didn't realise it was the same thread as before.

Anyway, even though it should be closed now, I'll let it roam free since there seems to be interest in the topic. Any bet though it'll die as soon as I press "submit reply".

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • It depends. If you want to save your family, friends or for short, others, yes and maybe. If you're greedy ot evil already, you might've killed somebody to save your life.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Why the hell wouldn't you steal a car? This is a whole city we're talking about here!
    Though ironically, if I tried to drive I would probably crash in two seconds, and it
    would be faster on foot. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back