• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do video series count as legitimate hacks?

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    I just joined a few minutes ago, so please forgive me if I make any faux pass. I just had a question for you guys who seem pretty dedicated to Pokemon hacking.

When you think of hacking, most people usually think of making your own game. New towns, characters, sometimes even new Pokemon, etc. But say that's not what you like to do. Say you like to create videos and tell stories by recording clips of your hack? Do you consider this just as demanding and skillful as making a new version? Is it as creative?

Please let me know!

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Sort of. If you can tell the story well through a rom, then yeah, it could be as or more creative. However, making an actual hacked game does require more than that. It requires the creativity you would use in videos as well as many other things like being able to script and map and sprite. However, without that much creativity, your rom hack would be nothing. So I'd say...kinda. :\ I mean, you would need to have a really good imagination to tell a story with a rom but you'd need more than that to make a rom hack that you can release, although the storymajig would show it a lot more...
    Yeah I don't know what I'm talking about either -_-'

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hey, you're that awesome girl from Youtube! They might not count as such "legitimate hacks", but they require the same stuff and are just as awesome if pulled off well.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hey, you're that girl from Youtube! They might not count as such "legitimate hacks", but they require the same stuff and are just as awesome if pulled off well.

Agreed entirely.

Also I seem to remember learning how to map from one of your videos. ;;

edit: I'm not exactly sure why you're asking if it would be a "legitimate" hack or not, either. It'd be cool and unique, and the fact that it is different would probably be enough to make it in my eyes. Plus, it seems like it'd be just as challenging as a regular hack for you to do, anyway.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Hi Tamashii. If you can't remember me, I was the one who asked your permission if I could include you as a rival in my Reign of Legends hack a few years ago.
    I'm a bit surprised to see you in this forum.

Anyway, for me (it's only my personal opinion), I think it's both a yes and a no.
    Everyone already said the "yes" part, but lemme explain why I also said "no"...

For me, a legitimate hack/mod is where we as players can play your work.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • It depends on your definition of "legitimate". Yes, you're modifying the game and creating a brand new world with a new story line and characters. But, at the same time, there's no gameplay because there is no "player". With a hack that you release to the public, you have to take into account that the player's input is unpredictable so you have to prepare for every possible action. This includes inserting broken brides (which, depending on the layout of your world, can be a very intricate process), giving text to every single NPC, including proper checks if the player (for example) loses a battle, making sure the player never gets trapped anywhere, etc. So I guess that I would say they aren't "legitimate" by my definition but that doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyable or that they don't take effort (just not as much).

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've watched all of your hack videos, and have a series of my own, but I wouldn't call it "legitimate hacking." It's a different category all its own imo. It's certainly not anywhere near as difficult as making a real hack, but creativity depends entirely on the video/hack in question.

I think it would be fair to allow people to post video hack series in the Let's Play section though, if that's what you were looking to do. You might want to ask Yuoaman.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    Yikes, I guess I should check this thing more often. As it happens I'm kind of not all down with how quotes work on this site yet, but I'll reply in the best way I can.

@Vrai: The reason I'm asking is just out of curiousity, to see if I really had any right to try in post in this section if I technically don't know what I'm talking about. I also wanted to see what people preferred so I could know which direction to take my own hacks.

@destinedjagold: Of course I remember you, and if I remember right, I hear you're pretty well known now too =) Congrats on all your success.

@QuilavaKing: I wasn't thinking of posting my own hacks anywhere around on this forum if thats what you mean. Thanks for the advice though.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I have to point out, the wording here is important.

What you do is legitimate hacking (well, legit as far as this forum is concerned), even if you don't create legitimate hacks. You have as much right, as a legitimate hacker (and quite an experienced one, at that), to post here as anyone else.

BTW at the bottom of a post there are a couple of buttons. hover over them and you'll see. "Reply with quote" basically replies to the thread while quoting that post. "Multi-quote" puts the post onto a queue so when you next press the normal quote button you'll have all the quotes in the one reply. You can also use the BB cod

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    Hooray! Now I know how to quote!

I'm glad theres a difference between a legitimate hacker and making legitimate hacks. While reading through some of the posts here I thought I might be in a different league as far as content goes and I wasn't sure if this was the right place to be. But as long as what I do is generally acceptable, I'll stick around =)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Yikes, I guess I should check this thing more often. As it happens I'm kind of not all down with how quotes work on this site yet, but I'll reply in the best way I can.

@Vrai: The reason I'm asking is just out of curiousity, to see if I really had any right to try in post in this section if I technically don't know what I'm talking about. I also wanted to see what people preferred so I could know which direction to take my own hacks.

Well, plenty of people post in this section that have no idea what they're talking about. :)

In all honesty, though, I'm unsure of where you'd post the thread if you were going to create a hack-story. It could possibly go in the Let's Play section like someone else suggested, but it could also go somewhere in Hacks Showcase since you are, indeed, hacking...

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    In all honesty, though, I'm unsure of where you'd post the thread if you were going to create a hack-story.

If that's the case, then maybe a new section should be implemented for Hack-Story categories? I've seen a lot of those on YouTube.

@destinedjagold: Of course I remember you, and if I remember right, I hear you're pretty well known now too =) Congrats on all your success.

Thanks.
    Well known, probably, but not the best around~
    zel is still the most well-known hacker/modder around!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I have no idea on this one.
    If you make a video series, you DO edit the game in the sense of editing what people say, their actions, maybe even what towns, Pokemon, and people look like.
    But there's still the issue of not being able to play the game for yourself. I happen to be making a hack series on Youtube, but I would guess that it doesn't count as a true "Hack" in the sense that not every NPC or event is changed, that everything still looks pretty similar to the base game, and that no one can play through it. I guess it's a gray area.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Okay I just looked up your youtube channel and I'd definitely say yes.
    By definition you had to hack the game to make those and it had to take at least as much talent is not more than any of the hackers making ROMs(The few I watched seemed like they must have taken hours out of your life... That is not an insult, I mean you are determined)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • it had to take at least as much talent if not more than any of the hackers making ROMs
    lolno.

No offense to anyone who makes hack videos (I do myself, in fact.) but it's not anywhere near as time consuming/difficult as hacking to make an actual game.

HackinJohn

FireRed ROM Hacker
    Years
  • I, personally, think that making a game is much, much harder and much, much more rewarding than writing and hacking a machinima video, which is what I try to define my hack shows as. However, I think that making shows is a lot more fun and a lot less stressful, as you don't have to worry about flags and such. In my newest hack shows, I have been incorporating level scripts and regular scripts, which makes it a lot more like the hacking I do with games. But, when you are making a video, players never see all the editing you do behind the scenes to make your show come out perfectly (I do a LOT of behind the scenes editing). I think that shows are a type of hacking, but show-hacking is not in the same league of difficulty as game-hacking.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Okay I see I caused some opposition with that statement, let me clarify.
    I mean as a whole, I am not comparing a single video to a entire new hack (I'm not that stupid). Look at it this way; she makes a whole bunch of short videos, where as a ROM hacker making a new version makes usually one(I know some people have 2 and/or work on other projects). You can put in your own opinions on who does more work and sorry I was unclear before. Both types are fun

NatureKeeper

A legitimate hack here should be only available if people actually do play it, like Jagold said.

I guess these hack shows should be allowed in the Sideshow Showcase, though.

I'd say you can PM a Mod to suggest that rule. But it's better off here to make a game. Like, based on The Hack's Storyline and everything.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Geez Tamashii... took you a while to join. Honestly, ever since I saw your video hacks years ago I've been thinking about it as well (I'm a long time fan; in fact, you're part of the reason I got into hacking).

I don't think the hacks are legitimate, however that doesn't mean it's not still hacking. You're still using hacking tools to create your awesome videos, but the only reason I would say they're not legit is because they are not meant to be played but to be watched, so I wouldn't really call them hacks, but it is still hacking.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it a 'game', seeing as they aren't playable, or even downloadable for that matter. They're for entertainment. But looking at your videos, I can definitely call them 'full-fledge' hacks. They not be as time-consuming, rewarding, or difficult to make, but they have characters, they have a storyline, a setting, etc. It's based on opinion, seemingly.

Back