• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do we actually need a third game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • As the title suggests, do you actually feel that a third game (like in some speculations, pokemon grey) needs to be created?

For example, do you feel that this will enhance the storyline?
    Or, do you feel that the Black and White games needs some improvement that can be fixed in this third game?
    Why do you, or don't you feel that this third game needs to be created?

Discuss how you feel!

Last edited:

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Honestly, I feel that there are a few points in BW that do need to be expanded on.

First: Kyurem. By now many have noticed it seems to be missing some parts. How did it get to be that way? Why is it in the game other than being another legendary to catch? Sure, it may be a "monster" to the nearby town, but it's obvious it's the third Dragon and so there's got to be more to it, right?

Second, the other Sages and the Dark Trinity/Shadow Triad...and I guess Concordia and Anthea, too. All they get are some lines, and though I guess they do kinda get backstory, I think they need more. Yeah, yeah, they're not so important, but hey. They're cool people and should have more stuff too.

Third (though I guess this could also be two), I know this is huge fan speculation right now but it'd be interesting to see if Nintendo confirms/denies whether the Striaton Trio ARE the Dark Trinity/Shadow Triad, though I have my doubts. Still, you never know.

Fourth, a better strategy battle place. The Subway is cool and all, but it's kind of boring. It's just the Battle Tower on trains, if you ask me.

Fifth, this could just be me but I'd love to battle some of the other trainers again, not just the ones you can battle daily. Also being able to rebattle Gym Leaders.

Sixth, also could be just me but more Triple/Rotation battles! Maybe the third version could mix the two into it? :3

...And that's all I can think of for now, derp.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • 3rd games are always needed for many reasons.

Rebattling Gym Leaders
    Taking the main 2 games story in a different direction
    New areas(Every 3rd game has had a new area, except Yellow unless you count the surf house)
    New moves in Pokemon's movepools
    Gym Leader roster changes
    new events
    Making more money so they can make even more games!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've never seen the massive advantage of a third-game apart from increased revenue to Nintendo/Game Freak. Although third-games are slightly different enough to qualify as separate entities in their own right, the points made above by rocky505 don't seem enough, really. The only third-game I'd consider buying would be for if I didn't buy any of the previous two, or there was a substantial difference in story/location/Pokemon to collect. As it stands, there's not really much in this generation that would require a separate game to complete, in all honesty. I just wish that some of the features mentioned above could be integrated into the main games (rebattling Gym Leaders etc), but that would remove the 'need' for a third game and lower Game Freak revenue so... sigh.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • There is so much wrong with B/W, including:
    *Poor menu design
    *Poor trainer design
    *Poor Exp system
    *Lack of a Vs Seeker
    *Poorly executed post-game (lack of stuff to do AND ridiculous level gap)
    *Gym Leaders with only 2-3 Pokemon

I'm not sure a 3rd game would address all these issues. In particular, I'm about 99.9% sure it would have the same flawed Exp system, and I don't have much faith that they'll redesign White/Hilda/whoever so she looks less like a prostitute. B/W were such disappointments that I wouldn't even consider buying a third game unless most of these issues are addressed.

Either we need a third game with some pretty drastic changes, or we just need to declare 5th gen a loss and move on.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Who's this 'we'?

You don't speak for everyone's opinions on B/W. Especially not the part where you're clearly biased in terms of your opinions on character designs, regardless of the differences between games.

Last edited:

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • I see B/W almost like a base form of the new generation and the third game is what completes the game and its issues.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I really wish we do. Because look at DP, there wasn't much to do and the Battle Tower wasn't that great due to lack of good moves until Platinum, where there was a HUGE improvement in both main and post-story. And there was a Battle Frontier in which Pokemon fought there were much improved because of the moves from move tutors that weren't there before. If they were to make a third game for B/W, I'd say they should add move tutors and improve the Battle Subway a whole lot by adding Pokemon from the 4 previous generations to the Normal Rank lines and make the Battle Subway inaccessible until the player finishes the main story and obtain the National Dex.

ZeroHeart

Ace Attorney
    Years
  • Honestly, at this point it's kinda just the norm for a third game to be released that adds a few things here and there. I'm so used to it now that it'd be weird if there wasn't one. Besides, Black and White can be improved on a bit, especially if a third game made a system jump to the 3DS. Imagine the possibilities.

BTW, I think I heard something about Game Freak registering a domain name for Pokemon Grey. If that wasn't disproved as a rumor yet, maybe it's proof of a third game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Yes, I do. It's tradition! I am very unsatisfied with the post-game, and I would very much like some things to be clarified of what happens to N (I would like him to have some appearance after you beat him). I think they need to cut that Black City / White Forest time thing where you need to get there fast or all of the good Pokémon and battlers will be gone, and I NEED to be able to rematch the gym leaders. ;____;

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I dunno... Black and White were good enough for me. But Diamond and Pearl has third game, Ruby and Sapphire has third game and so on... Let's see what things are going to be changed in 'Grey'.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think the fact that some of you are saying just because the other games had a third game is kinda weird. I mean, this is the tradition-breaking generation after all, and although Sugimori denied what the lady actually said, we don't really know whether he was just covering up the truth, giving fans false hope until R/S remakes when they just happen to skip to the next generation. You never know!

Either way, personally I'd like a third game just so that the region can be expanded, I really love the way it's designed and I'd love to see more of that. :( Plus something to play I guess!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Every Pokemon game is still a multi-million seller, even the third versions. They make lots of money and get a chance to expand upon parts of the game they didn't get round to finishing before, as well as a chance to experiment with things they might be considering putting in their next game after that.

As long as people are still buying these games, they are a companies' dream in terms of the money they make for the work put in to them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'll like to see a bigger backstory into Unova...I feel like there are many question's left unanswered...
    If they did what forever said then I'll feel like they missed a great opportunity to expand on the region...until gen VII's Burn black and Lightning white...and I don't want to wait that long...
    Plus it'a a tradition :)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't think we need to expand on Unova anymore than what has been done. The Anime always takes care of the extra Canon that was missing. All the features that are added to the thirds are superficial and in my opinion usually a waste. Its always the same thing recycled with minor changes to the story. There is never really anything to do after the main game as there is never an extended story.

Thirds are usually used to test the waters for new development on a later project. The only Third game I've ever enjoyed was Platinum, but not for anything they added after, it was just the add of Charon and Giratina. The change of Cyrus's base made Galactic seem more BA.

They usually offer very little to the actual storyline. The BEST thing about Third games are always the changes to move sets thanks to Move Tutors.

There are always claims of "OH WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE SCRIPT THAT THEY DELIBERATELY LEFT OUT BUT IS THERE SO THEY ARE ABSLOLUTELY MAKING SOMETHING FOR IT!"

Yes I'm talking about the two hidden attacks Ice Burn and Freeze Shock as well as the God Stone.

Cacophony, Beserk Gene, Gold Leaf, Silver Leaf, Brick Piece. Filler information that was part of a production, an idea, but was scrapped before finalization of the game. Its something that has happened in every generation. Missingno from Gen 1 was left over Pokemon data. Gen 3 is what brought Cacophony which was the original version of Sound Proof.

We really don't need any more for Unova, we WANT more. We want the games to continue on and keep our own personal dreams a float.

I've adopted a, "Unless Gamefreak says something. Do not believe anything anyone else says." Why? Cause of that guy with the Youtube Video that "proved" the Starter Evolutions were "fake", and one guy here swore that Light Types would be official. Although they were wants.

I personally do not want a Third or Remakes for this Gen either. I want them to just go into the next one OR for a NEW change of pace start a sequel to the Events of Black and White. Like how Gold and Silver were sequels to Red and Blue. That is what I want to see them do.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Also for those saying there will be no 3rd game. If there is no 3rd game then there is less money and ideas for future games. Plus we have had 3rd games every gen since blue came out in Japan. I really doubt they would just ditch the third game idea just to move to the 3ds for the next gen. Trust me there will be a third game. Things in bw may show there will be. Such as the god stone and kyurem's special moves. Remember blast burn frenzy plant and hydro cannon as well as volt tackle? Those are perfect examples to match kyurem's special moves and a new game.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think we need to expand on Unova anymore than what has been done. The Anime always takes care of the extra Canon that was missing. All the features that are added to the thirds are superficial and in my opinion usually a waste. Its always the same thing recycled with minor changes to the story. There is never really anything to do after the main game as there is never an extended story.

Thirds are usually used to test the waters for new development on a later project. The only Third game I've ever enjoyed was Platinum, but not for anything they added after, it was just the add of Charon and Giratina. The change of Cyrus's base made Galactic seem more BA.

They usually offer very little to the actual storyline. The BEST thing about Third games are always the changes to move sets thanks to Move Tutors.

There are always claims of "OH WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE SCRIPT THAT THEY DELIBERATELY LEFT OUT BUT IS THERE SO THEY ARE ABSLOLUTELY MAKING SOMETHING FOR IT!"

Yes I'm talking about the two hidden attacks Ice Burn and Freeze Shock as well as the God Stone.

Cacophony, Beserk Gene, Gold Leaf, Silver Leaf, Brick Piece. Filler information that was part of a production, an idea, but was scrapped before finalization of the game. Its something that has happened in every generation. Missingno from Gen 1 was left over Pokemon data. Gen 3 is what brought Cacophony which was the original version of Sound Proof.

We really don't need any more for Unova, we WANT more. We want the games to continue on and keep our own personal dreams a float.

I've adopted a, "Unless Gamefreak says something. Do not believe anything anyone else says." Why? Cause of that guy with the Youtube Video that "proved" the Starter Evolutions were "fake", and one guy here swore that Light Types would be official. Although they were wants.

I personally do not want a Third or Remakes for this Gen either. I want them to just go into the next one OR for a NEW change of pace start a sequel to the Events of Black and White. Like how Gold and Silver were sequels to Red and Blue. That is what I want to see them do.

Well, it's much, much more logical to assume that Gamefreak will do what they've always done, instead of assuming they won't until they do. Do you assuming that every game is the end of the series altogether, because Gamefreak hasn't yet announced that more main games are coming out yet?

I personally wouldn't want a Johto-like region. Because Johto was next to Kanto both ingame and irl (what it was based off of). I live near New York. You know what's near New York? Nothing. There's NY, a bunch of suburbs that wouldn't make for an interesting Pokemon regions, New Jersey (ew). There's just nothing there. Since they're ramping up the technology in the games, I would like a game based in a different part of the US, or Canada, or something like that, that you could reach Unova in by plane with a nice (skippable) cutscene.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Note that Pokémon Yellow was released during a period when Gold and Silver were being dramatically recreated compared to the original pictures of a "Pocket Monsters II" that were shown in 1997, and that they were pretty much a tie-in to the success of the anime and the release of the first movie with minimal changes compared to Blue version because Game Freak were otherwise very busy.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. I've seen enough people on here complain that there was no new game in 2011, so you either have to live with games such as Emerald and Platinum if it means more new Pokémon games as a whole are released, or you wait longer for each original game.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I live near New York. You know what's near New York? Nothing. There's NY, a bunch of suburbs that wouldn't make for an interesting Pokemon regions, New Jersey (ew). There's just nothing there.
    Well, there's always upstate/western New York State, but then again (and this comes from growing up there) there's nothing much there besides countryside, lakes, hills/mountains, and the crumbling remains of a once mighty photo industry giant. And all of those except that last one are already incorporated into Pokemon games.

And a New Jersey like sub region where your trainer is tasked with cleaning up the rampant crime and corruption that goes on there might make for an interesting diversion, lol Though I'm partial to the Charlotte/Gastonia/Rock Hill metro area myself xD

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a third game if the first two games were executed well. But since I was disappointed to the point of selling White back to GameStop for less than half of what I paid, I can say that I probably will not be buying the third game, and definitely will not be until they come out and I find out what they've fixed and what problems still remain. Not that I have much faith that all my concerns will be addressed, but I won't know for sure till they come out.

Of course, GameFreak shouldn't let little old me deter them from making another cash cow. If it means more money so 6th gen can restore my faith in the franchise, then I say go for it. Just don't expect MY money to be added to the corporate coffers till I deem a Pokemon game worthy of my purchase.

(There, I didn't say "We" this time. Satisfied now?)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back