• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we really need a trio per generation?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 13, 2009
    Do we really need a trio of games per generation?

The alleged purpose of having two different games was so that people would make friends because they wanted to trade with each other. However, some people are loners so they buy two GBAs and trade with themselves. With the invention of online trading, people, for the most part, don't do this anymore. So, releasing two initial games won't be as profitable as it used to be. Releasing only one would also make it seem as if Pokemon sells more, as two scores would be combined into one.

This doesn't mean there couldn't be any exclusive Pokemon. The "sequel" game (The Pt to your DP), could have different Pokemon than the first game, and things such as console versions could have both sides of exclusive Pokemon, legendaries, and maybe a spare Pikachu or two for kicks.

The problem that I see with this idea, however, is just because it's tradition. It would be rather awkward for an Emerald remake to pop up instead of an RS one.

What do you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, if you go back and look at the 3rd installment of each Gen, there are differences. Yellow added more plot, and Pikachu following you. Crystal add more events with suicune and introduced playing as a girl. Emerald added the battle frontier. Platinum added new events, and a new battle frontier. So each 3rd game added many things, and pretty much all of them do have different pokemon that could be caught in that game, or easily caught.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 13, 2009
    No. I meant that there is no need to make Saffire when you could just sell Ruby. :/

Ayselipera

Then how are you going to catch Kyogre or Seviper and Lotad etc.... before Emerald comes out

I kinda agree with this. They're are many people who use online trading, but for other people they rely on having both games. Such as myself. Still one game has always sold more over the other. Ruby sold more than Sapphire and I'm pretty sure Diamond sold more than Pearl. Perhaps with online trading the sales will go down a little bit more for one game than the other, but I still feel that both games will be able to sell pretty well against others.

Pocchama01

Dark and Psychic Type Trainer
    Years
    I like having 3 games per gen. I use one of the first two games to store my good pokemon, and the other game to start new games and stuff. Then the third game for all the additional stuff.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I personally like having trio games. Some people don't have wireless internet (and I think they stopped selling Wifi USB Connectors), so it doesn't help. Plus, it's fun when you get one, and your other friends get the others. ^_^

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    It's not needed, but the put in enough differences between the first two so they can make more money. I mean, they are so minute but yet significant enough to make you buy both. The third however is more of an updated one, just to keep people occupied while waiting for a new generation and many other reason. So, there is a need for them in some, and not for others. All depends on if you like completing the dex. I don't really care if there is a trio, isn't needed for my enjoyment.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    The point would be to have a sense of uniqueness... and to give you a choice...

I would rather be able to choose what color my cartridge is (lol) and which signature legendary I want to catch rather than waiting for the next installment to catch the other one... if that's what you're getting at

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 13, 2009
    Then how are you going to catch Kyogre or Seviper and Lotad etc.... before Emerald comes out
    Collo?
    (and I think they stopped selling Wifi USB Connectors)
    I'm using one for the actual internet. Even if Nintendo doesn't make them, some other company will, and they're cheaper than another game in the long run. Also, there are hotspots at food chains and stuff.
    I like having 3 games per gen. I use one of the first two games to store my good pokemon, and the other game to start new games and stuff. Then the third game for all the additional stuff.
    Maybe there'll be a new Pokemon Box. Who knows?
    I would rather be able to choose what color my cartridge is (lol)
    There aren't any colors anymore.
    and which signature legendary I want to catch rather than waiting for the next installment to catch the other one... if that's what you're getting at
    Yup.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    judgeing by how your name is Chucho, i take it your from mexico?\

hell yeah, i know more mexican pikamanz players!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Nintendo gets more money if they make a pokemon available in only one game and not in other. Although that theory's not applicable now as wifi is here. It has been like a habit for nintendo to make a trio per gen and I don't think that they may leave this habit anytime soon!

(I actually thought that you all are talking about the trio pokemon legendaries per generation at first glance at this thread! lol)

Akiko

Banned
    Years
    I think so. But i noticed something. Every legendary trio have something to say about the Region. Let's say for example. Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie. They have a connection between the flowing of Space and Time. And the 2nd one is Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. Correct me if im wrong. But still. Every region has its own Trio or as i called them Trio the Legends of Myth. But i think it's Nintendo's own unique style. And it's pretty awesome having Trios in One Region. It's because it's also connected in the game. As Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie is something the key to open the Cave or something. The triangle that Cyrus wants in the episode that the troupe saw Cynthia again. I don't remember the episode but im sure all of you have seen it. Anyways. Yeah i think it's pretty important to have a Trio in one Region.

Akiko.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I think so. But i noticed something. Every legendary trio have something to say about the Region. Let's say for example. Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie. They have a connection between the flowing of Space and Time. And the 2nd one is Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. Correct me if im wrong. But still. Every region has its own Trio or as i called them Trio the Legends of Myth. But i think it's Nintendo's own unique style. And it's pretty awesome having Trios in One Region. It's because it's also connected in the game. As Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie is something the key to open the Cave or something. The triangle that Cyrus wants in the episode that the troupe saw Cynthia again. I don't remember the episode but im sure all of you have seen it. Anyways. Yeah i think it's pretty important to have a Trio in one Region.

Akiko.

I think that the discussion here is about the trio of games made per generation and not about the legendary trio in every generation. I guess its not your fault that you got confused, as even I was confused at the start! @_@.

Back