• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you EV train your starters?

KairiHearts

Keyblade Wielder.I'm a Boy!
Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2010
    What is EV training?Is it where you just raise your pokemon?

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • Not exactly. EV training is a special process where you only battle one species of pokemon over and over again. After doing this quite a few times, your pokemon will have gained stat points known as EVs. For every 4 EVs you gain, +1 more than regular is added when you level up/when you reach level 100. For example, a Modest Magnezone (+ Special Attack, - Attack) would normally have 158 Attack on level 100 (If it has the lowest Attack possible, that is), but if you give it 4 Attack EVs while levelling, it would have 159 Attack on level 100.

Do you understand this?

And no, EV training isn't boring. -_- At least not in my opinion.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Why bother? I don't have access to wifi. I'll never need to build a competitively viable team. Even if I did, I'd more likely just breed a new one instead of using the one I played through the game with.

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
  • Well, I don't EV-train my starter, I don't EV train at all...^^ I know how to do it, but it's too complicated to look at every Poke you pwn with your Pokemon...^^ And, I think regular training makes everything more challenging, so I'm going for non EV-trained Pokes!^^

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • No I dont because I tend not to use my starter much anyways. I dont think I ever EV trained my starter before.

Ayselipera

I don't ev train any of my pokemon. I only play in game so there isn't a point for me.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I don't EV train the starter mainly because I'd rather go through the story and enjoy it and THEN worry about competitive Pokemon. I also don't have the patience to EV train right from the start. :P

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I don't really care about EV training most of the time, but I did attempt it on my last Diamond file with Empoleon. I'd rather not care about it, personally.

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
    Years
  • I EV train all of my pokemon, so yeah, I EV train my starter.

Okay, I'll admit that I use an AR, but I use extremely little of it. The least I use it for is so I can check my pokemon's IVs, have eggs hatch faster, and encounter the right pokemon to battle for EV training (but I always encounter a pokemon in the area it would normally be found). I don't abuse the AR and do something like teaching a magikarp roar of time, or giving a spiritomb the wonder guard ability. That would be going way too far.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Nope , I hardly ever EV Train .

I don't focus on that . I focus more on the type of my Pokemon and their moves ! I believe these two are vital , not EV Training ! ^^

Back