• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you go by favorites, or by power?

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I go by favorites. I use the Notch-Eared Pichu on my HeartGold team just because I like it. I've replaced the normal beginner flying types like Pidgey and Starly with Zubat because I think Zubat is cute, Golbat is cool and Crobat is just plain awesome.

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
    I usually go by favorites, but I must admit I had decided to ditch my Gastly when I played Pokemon Platinum because it had low HP...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Usually favorites , but most of the time both since my favourites are all pretty strong Pokemon .

There is no reason to win as long as you don't like that . And a favourite Pokemon win makes me love winning .

Years
    This is pretty much he same as me. I use pokemon that others don't tend to use because i like finding out more about he different pokemon, at the moment i'm using a CBHustle Corsola on my OU team cause i like it, and it actually fis into the team very well and KO's lots of opponents who don't expect it to be that strong. Also i tend to use Tangela a lot because it's my favourite pokemon, in UU i use it instead of Tangrowth, and it's able to wall lots of physical sweepers. I also don't like OU spam. So my choice is definetly favourites.
    Nice to see someone who agrees. I hate how so many people say ______ is weak and useless, when nearly all Pokemon can be useful is some way. I'm KOing people on PBR with my Choice Specs Beautifly as we speak. =P

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I always go by favorites and just random Pokemon for some variety. It's fun trying Pokemon that you've never trained before. It's also pretty fun going through the game with a Butterfree or something equally "useless." I like using all Pokemon in my playthroughs.

The Red Chain

It's not like you need power in-game anyway.
    Beating the game isn't that hard. XD

Years
    Definitely favorites.
    It's not like you need power in-game anyway.
    Beating the game isn't that hard. XD

I agree with this but most of my favourites are useful and powerful ingame types. That being said I don't EV train so I'ld get owned online but my lv100 Luxray is still good enough to beat most of my friends!

Me hating a pokemon is enough to never use it in battle. I have never used a Zubat or any in it's evo line except for pokedex reasons because I hate it with a passion

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    I use my favourites but I mostly try to have an Electric type on my team, since I find most of them pretty effective in sticky situations. One thing I'm trying to do is use Pokemon that I don't use often.

Sir Sterling

The Knight in Shining Silver
    Years
    In the past I went mostly by favorites, and would keep legendaries because it was cool. But when I got older I realized my teams became terribly imbalanced. Many of the Pokemon that I love enough to consider favorites are similar types, and although they are trained to be strong, one right opposing type can wipe them out. My Crystal party, albeit my love for them, wins the all-time award for weakest because it had TWO water and TWO flying and that made two thirds of my team, for lack of a better term, electrocuted to death. My other two types were electric and fire, which didn't do enough to balance my team out.

When I got Ruby version I started paying attention to variety. I needed to find a balanced party of different types that could easily back each other up if one was opposing something it was totally weak against. Some Pokemon I knew I'd keep right away--Taillow and Poochyena because they were just so darned cool :p--but otherwise from that, I was switching a lot in the first half of the game to get the most effective team I could. This led me to liking a lot of Pokemon I didn't pay attention to before. Testing out their abilities really made me appreciate how they can be used effectively, even Rattata. Makuhita seemed pretty weird when I first met her. Mawile, who I'd caught in the same location, seemed like a much better pick, but I decided to give Makuhita a chance because a fighting type was something I was looking for. It turned out to be one of the best choices I'd ever made in Pokemon. The rest of my party I cherished more, but Makuhita-Hariyama was an excellent member and she got me out of a lot of fixes. She's very underrated. She definitely made me forget about Mawile, who, for a while, I considered "cooler" for being a jaw-clamped Steel type.

Upon reaching the second half of the game, I had a pack of Pokemon that made up possibly my most favorite party that I'd ever had. By the time my game corrupted and reset every time I turned it on, I had Swampert, Swellow, Mightyena, Gardevoir, Hariyama and Lairon. They were amazing. <3 Even better, they taught me that variety really can be more favorable than preference. I've even looked up potentials online to check their types and movesets. In my Diamond version--the only handheld Pokemon game I have that doesn't reset automatically--I've been switching frantically, saying goodbye to a lot of cool folks, to make a good all-around team. Hoothoot-Noctowl I consider one of the very best and I totally blew it by to opportunize Pokemon I like way less. I even considered using Chansey for a while.

Still, though, I do have "stubborn picks." I ALWAYS have a bird Pokemon in my party, because I love birds and Flying is one of my favorite types. This is practically half the reason why I own a Staravia, part of the only bird chain I dislike--the other reason being it is a powerful fighter. And sometimes, my blatant dislike for a Pokemon bars me from ever giving it a chance. I don't care how powerful Ambipom is or how versatile Nosepass is with its TM and HM ability. I'm not using them. :|

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I just go with my favorite pokemon because I dont care much for strong pokemon if they look weird and arent part of my favorite pokemon.

Years
    I usually go with favorites, although I rarely if ever keep Pokémon from evolving just because I like its devolved form better. I've played through the games so many times, though, that nowadays I use Pokémon that I've never used before or have "themed" teams, such as monotype teams.

Years
    both, i don't use my favorite pokemon if they are not very useful, i don't use strong pokemon either if i don't like them

Back