• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you go by favorites, or by power?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    When choosing the pokemon for your team, do you use your favorite pokemon, or do you use ones with power.

for me I go by favorites :]

Years
    I go with what I like, what my faves are. If they work they work.
    If I lose, then I only have myself to blame.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I choose my team based on design, I also base my favorites on design, so I suppose I go by favorites. I couldn't care less about power. (Though I am picky about having a variety of types on my team.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I go for whatever I want. If it's a new game though (like when I first got DP) I try to balance the team since I don't know a lot about the Pokemon. I like to beat the games over and over without using the same Pokemon each time through, so I end up using almost all of them. And from there, I'll usually go with favorites. xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I use my favorites. As it turns out some of them are powerful, and some of them are not, but every one of them has its role on my team.

However, since my favorites span various competitive battling tiers, it does make things a bit difficult...

Years
    I'll typically replace whichever ones I've used the longest (and gotten bored of) with new ones out of a constantly changing list of favorites depending on which ones I have available. Unless I don't feel like spending the time building up new pokemon. So, favorites or whatever is easiest.

Years
    I'll work with what the types of Pokemon are available then, and collect stronger ones available later to complete my team. Typically, my Pokemon League will have a starter, a Pokemon I caught 1/4 of the way, half-way, 3/4's way, an HM slave and one available just before the Elite Four.

Ayselipera

While I do pick favorites I make my team by having every pokemon a variety of types. For instance my teams usually go by this style.. in no paticular order.

- fire
    - water
    - grass
    - electric
    - flying
    - random

Occasionally I'll just do whatever, but for the most part I follow this style. So since I'm almost always making my teams like this using a few favorites everytime gets boring. In the end I force myself to use pokemon I haven't used before which sometimes ends up being a fun experiance.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Well, a lot of my favorite Pokemon are powerful, so I go by both.

I also tend to get myself a fire, water, and grass type to balance them out, along with three random types (flying is almost always among the three), but I ignore that in DP due to the lack of fire types.

Years
    I don't go by favorites, but not by power either. I like to use all the Pokemon, and explore their individual abilities. I don't like the idea of dismissing a Pokemon just because of its appearance... When making teams, I do look for a Pokemon with the right moves/stats/ability for the job, but that's because I don't really have favorites. I do dislike using the same Pokemon too much though, which is why I find myself trying to utilize Pokemon in the lower tiers often. There's nothing that irks me more than "OU spam".

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Favorites. I mean if I went with what was powerful, id be one of those noobs who uses only legendaries. Power isnt everything. Strategy can make 90% of pokemon better in the long run.

Kriptic

Rising up from the ashes
    Years
    I can't say i have any favourites because i'm always changing my team to suit different needs. I'd say power/stategy over favourites.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    It really depends. At times, I would put the powerful Pokemons in my party to go to battles instead of that adorable Pichu that I just want to hug all day! :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2015
    definitly gotta go with favorites

thats the only reason I always have an electric type in my team and i have never gone through R/S/E without using a Manectric

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Favourites. Even when I'm forcing myself to use Pokémon I'm unfamiliar with (as I'm doing right now in my new Platinum run), I still use the ones that appeal to me, as opposed to the ones who are powerful or whatever.

Darkhunter101

Ice Trainer
    Years
    I don't go by favorites, but not by power either. I like to use all the Pokemon, and explore their individual abilities. I don't like the idea of dismissing a Pokemon just because of its appearance... When making teams, I do look for a Pokemon with the right moves/stats/ability for the job, but that's because I don't really have favorites. I do dislike using the same Pokemon too much though, which is why I find myself trying to utilize Pokemon in the lower tiers often. There's nothing that irks me more than "OU spam".
    This is pretty much he same as me. I use pokemon that others don't tend to use because i like finding out more about he different pokemon, at the moment i'm using a CBHustle Corsola on my OU team cause i like it, and it actually fis into the team very well and KO's lots of opponents who don't expect it to be that strong. Also i tend to use Tangela a lot because it's my favourite pokemon, in UU i use it instead of Tangrowth, and it's able to wall lots of physical sweepers. I also don't like OU spam. So my choice is definetly favourites.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    When I first play through the game, I just look to build a varied team of whatever Pokemon I can find, and if I can get my favourites so much the better. However, I do try to get my favourites if I can. Power doesn't really cross my mind.

xX

Back