• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hate it when people go overboard with corrections?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • I totally had to make this thread as a pair for the thread about hating people who "tlk liek dis"

Quite simple, do you hate people who, as soon as you manage to so much as mispell a single word, regardless of whether it seems to be an accident or not, feels compelled to correct you and gets their soapbox out if you call them out on being rude?

I know I do. ='D

I talk like I do on this forum everywhere. Video games, Instant Messengers, hand-written assignments, even texting! I MIGHT not do it on Twitter, but I don't have a twitter so no problem!

I think it's fair to say I'm far from intolerable. Yet, every so often some jerk comes along and picks up on a spelling mistake (Usually an accident in my case of forgetting a letter or my cursor being moved mid-word.) and practically races me to correct my own mistake!

(Pictured above:
    Do you hate it when people go overboard with corrections?
    )

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Happy hitler kinda sucks. (Hint >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/\)
    Oh and my aunt is like this.. I go like "wth who cares". Well she's a teacher so if she won't show the kids how to say a word who will.

Also "fixing people" are lol. I mean do you rly ate eet wen ai do dis?

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Wow, a disco hitler!
    Also, who between the two of us got high recently?

OT:
    Umm you're a walking dictionary so how can it not annoy you.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Yes... unless the criticism is entirely constructive. I love it when people use constructive criticism - it really helps me improve. But when people are just judging... yeah, that's annoying.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • If I hated it, I'd be a hypocrite. I correct people a lot, but only in certain circumstances.

If somebody's trying to act high and mighty or make an argument regarding one's intelligence, and they misspell something or take their grammar through a blender, I'll correct them. "your an idiot" is the most common offender. If somebody points out that they're not sure if they spelled a word correctly, I'll correct them.

Little things like "alot", "definately", "rouge" (mostly refers to WoW and the rogue class), "collectable" and so on just make me cringe, but I won't drop everything I'm doing to correct them. I also don't get soapbox-y if people say something about it, but most of the time people get REALLY defensive about it when I don't always do it to be mean.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Only in real-time media such as IM or IRC do I actually correct misspellings, and I do so by just typing the correct spelling of the word preceded by an *.

Example:
    Friend:Fial!
    Me:*Fail

-OR-

Me: col
    Me:*Cool

...yes, I correct myself. Consistently. So eh, it's not like I'm the type that walks around and doesn't correct that kind of stuff when I can.

Of course if I quote a post, I do correct the poor spelling, it's just annoying when people who quote to reply don't correct the spelling. >_>

Naturally on a forum, I never post just for the sake of correcting spelling/grammar, that's just spammy and annoying

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • What annoys me is when on a forum somebody responds to a post just to criticize them for their grammar/spelling.

There are cases where it is actually bad and pretty much unreadable, but what I saw on a forum the other day made me mad. One member posted a few questions. Had good grammar, but happened to misspell two words, and not anywhere near in a way that you wouldn't understand what they're saying at all. Somebody responded to them with nothing more than "I won't answer your questions until you learn how to spell."

Seriously? That was just ridiculously stupid. It is a general pet peeve of mine for people to be mini-mods and not contribute even a word to the topic at hand. It's obvious spam, and if I were ever a mod those members would get no mercy from me. =P

Otherwise I do jokingly criticize my friend's bad grammar/typing in text messages, but the way I do it is by making fun of him and responding the same way he does. A few times he'd text me "r u there" so now I do that to him everytime. xD

Blackhebrew2

Epic Banana Ninja!
    Years
  • I often correct people for gramatical errors during every day speech I understand people often type a word wrong and make a typo etc... But sometimes peoples English kills me "I was like this,he was like this",and she was like this. I have a friend who talks like that although its not gramatically incorrect "at least I think so" its extremely annoying and Ive often given out to her over it. She is lucky she is really cute. (Or else!)

Blackhebrew2,leader of the Grammar Nazis

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • It's my personal opinion that if someone is willing to throw their corrections into OTHER people's speech without being asked they're giving implied consent to a cup of troll.

In other words? Don't do it and don't make excuses unless you're willing to risk this: "Hi nice too meet you."
    turning into this: "hai nise 2 mete u"

Of course if we're talking offline, they're giving implied consent to a nice punch in that noisy mouth if they don't stop. Of course the fore-mentioned is not my personal method, but is the method of many to shut up someone being obnoxious.

Why? Because it should only need to be said by someone once that corrections annoy them. After that, the other person is just being a jerk if they continue. There doesn't need to be a reason, either. If their typing is THAT bad just don't talk to them.

...This obviously doesn't apply to people who's typing is so bad they're ALREADY considered a troll.

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
  • I never correct someone unless it was obviously not a mistake, and even then, I only correct them so they'll know how to actually spell it and so I can help them, but I don't do it to be a meanie.
    But I hardly correct people..those people who are constantly bugging people about accidentally misspelling a word are extremely annoying to me.

Eldrei

Banned
    Years
  • Everyone has mistakes even in spelling so there's not a perfect person in this world only me >:). Seeesh people are so sensitive these days that even a small typo and a disco hitler can be annoying.

Years
  • If it is a constructive criticism, then no.
    I more hate the fact that people get annoyed when they can't take any form of constructive criticism because they think they are right.

Meh.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • I have this friend, and when I spell something wrong on MSN, she and her friend correct me to try and make me look stupid. And it annoys the heck out of me because I ain't exactly the best speller in the world. >_o

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2012
    I do it to rub salt into the wound, and it usually gets kiddies riled up and annoyed, more liable to stupidity and mistakes, which encourages me more! Avalanche effect!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

• Naturally on a forum, I never post just for the sake of correcting spelling/grammar, that's just spammy and annoying

You've got enough of that going on already with all those repeated posts in CQ&F. :D

OT: It makes me cringe, yes, but I don't correct people or ask for clarification unless I actually don't understand it. However, if someone corrects someone and makes a mistake themselves, I love pointing it out to them and rubbing it in they're their face. >D

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I hate it when people goes so much on fixing, like, maybe, just one word or translating an entire wall of chatspeak. So annoying.

Back