• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

Aakeosu

Archaeopteryx
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    He's not currently on my team, but Zin (Typhlosion) is going to be EV trained, as soon as I lower all of his EVs to 0. I'm not giving up because he's Timid and Mischievous.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    I just reset so I can challenge myself with an all-poison team, so no, I won't be keeping my starter.

And yes, all-poison. This is gonna suck.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I have some sort of an emotional attachment to my starter for some reason. Except in Diamond. In all of my games, I've kept my starter on my team. Until Diamond where I just got sick of using Empoleon. I found that the most recent starters aren't really that cool. In Heart Gold, I kept my Typhlosion on my team, and I think I'll keep it there for now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    I just reset so I can challenge myself with an all-poison team, so no, I won't be keeping my starter.

And yes, all-poison. This is gonna suck.
    Not really.

Nidoking
    Nidoqueen
    Gliscor
    Seviper
    Venusaur
    Tentacruel
    Gengar
    Weezing

You're not overly cramped for choice. You can build a fantastic team from those mentioned above.

Sticking with the topic.. I generally will always keep my starter, but on my current game file, my Meganium just got too crappy for me to keep going. Meganium has a terrible move pool and it didn't stand a chance against Clair.

In all other games though, I almost definitely stick with the starter.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
    Yea, I usually keep them. I think the only time I actually replaced it was in Platinum when I had an Empoleon.

TwiggsMGW

OG - Original Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2010
    I kept Quilava in my group until about 20, but he didn't stand up the any of his opponents like the rest of my team did, so I boxed him. I'm not as fond of the G/S starters as I am R/B and R/S.

M. Dent

Trial Triangle
    Years
    I feel like I should but I think that they're way too overrated so I'm thinking of sticking it in my PC during my next playthrough.

I forgot it in Diamond because I made it my HM Slave =3

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    I prefer to keep my starter until I beat the Elite Four for the first time.
    Then I try to look for other Pokemon. But I don't think I'd replace my starter anytime soon

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    Every game I've played I've done so, until Heart Gold. I haven't been playing with my starter that much.

Green20

Nomad
    Years
    I never have replaced my starter. I think it's a habit I developed on the 1st gen when pikachu followed you all the time so I kept him in from there on I always kept my starter which is usually at least 10 levels higher than any other pokemon in my line-up(except legendaries I caught at a higher level)

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
    The only time Fiero has ever left me is when I challenged Whitney, because Pikachu-dance forced me to.

Could have been another 1-hit KOs match, but oh no. Had to use Sandie, Retti, and some of his old Pokemon.

Back