• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your Pokémon?

Years
    I nickname all my pokemon, though I didn't used to.
    Names are often off the top of my head, some are named after pokemon characters I have (such as Brian the Psyduck) and some I actually will spend hours searching for a good name for, ha ha.
    I find it so impersonal to just call them what they are.. like calling a dog, Dog. Perhaps I'm just sentimental. :>

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I name all of my Pokémon, aside from the ones I get in trades. I hate that you can't name them. :( Off the top of my head:

Giratina - Gallifrey [-> Doctor Who]
    Palkia -> Rassilon [-> Doctor Who]
    Dialga -> Omega [-> Doctor Who]
    Uxie -> Romana [-> Doctor Who]
    Azelf -> Donna [-> Doctor Who]
    Torterra - Edward [-> The Riddler]
    Luxray -> Kord [-> Blue Beetle]
    Empoleon -> Barry [-> Pokémon anime]
    Heracross -> Jun [-> Pokémon anime]
    Flareon -> Pearl [-> Pokémon Platinum]
    Garchomp -> Decamaron [Literature]

...Yeah. But I have a lot of Pokémon who I got from trades now, and like I said, no nicknames for them. :(

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
    I never used to name my Pokemen.

But nowadays, I have to name everything I catch. I have Cassiopeia the Starmie, Cosmia the Clefairy, Peach, Plum and Pear the steel, sandy and plant cloaked Wormafolk, Brunhilde the Jynx, Miel the Vespiquen, Orson the Ursaring, Ashlotte the Gardevoir, Daikon the Oddish, Cabbage the Bulbasaur...

It goes on like this.

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    I will name them from time to time.

For instance I always name my Bulbasaur after some sort of plant.

I also like naming them after colors or food. I named my Pikachu Mustard and my Charmander Orange.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I always name the first of each species that i catch, if i catch a repeat for whatever reason, i usually don't name them.

EvilMudkip

plannin' ur doom
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2009
    I name all my Pokémon. I think the best nickname is one you think of almost instantly, and I agree with the "dog named Dog" thing.

Nicknames:
    Spoiler:

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    I rarely name mine other than a few special exceptions.

Yep. I always end up hating my nicknames. I gave my pokes really stupid nicknames when I was younger, like:

Articuno - Icy-Bird (..)
    Charizard - Fire-Start (.......)
    Jolteon - Zap-Boy (........... seriously..)

The only nicknames I have that I like, are:

Azelf - Valor (since it's from Lake Valor)
    Uxie - Acuity (same as Azelf)
    Palkia - Tyrant

So yeah, I rarely give my Pokemon nicknames. I did consider nicknaming my Giratina "Bidoof", though.

Gawd, that would be so cool in uber battles.

nanana sent out BIDOOF!

And the guy/girl you're fighting is like WTH BIDOOF? and then they see it's a Giratina. LOL.

peach girl

<3 Pokemon Lover <3
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2009
    I never nicknamed any of my pokemon... but i think that mainly stems from playing red and blue, and when i would go into the computer i never remembered what kind of pokemon they were by their nickname listed in the box. Now that i play ruby though there's actually a little picture of each pokemon in the box so i guess i could but i'm just not used to it. =/

Years
    I used to... now the only pokemon I've nicknamed (playing Emerald atm, btw) is Sceptile, calling him Gex (after Gex64 on the Nintendo...)

I really do think their original names are better though :)

Years
    I've always nicknamed. They end up being really unoriginal, but I like 'em anyway. My sister's nicknames...that's another story. At the beginning of Diamond she sometimes put names in all caps (though she finally fixed the last one to be affected by this, "STONE"), but throughout her whole journey she's made a bunch of really stupid name choices. Probably the worst one is Screwhorn the Rhydon. Um... 0.o

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    i love nicknamin my pokemon i think the best name i had was for my glaceon yukinegro in japanese she is called black ice get it 0.o

Years
    i love nicknamin my pokemon i think the best name i had was for my glaceon yukinegro in japanese she is called black ice get it 0.o

Yuki = snow
    Negro = not a Japanese word, but commonly used to refer to black people in other languages (including English, but this is now obsolete and insulting)

Kuroikuri would be a better translation of "Black Ice" condensed into one word.

I love Wiktionary.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    I love nicknaming! My cradily is now Actiniae, the hardest pokemon to take down, eva! XD
    My Armaldo is Platycerus, and my charizard is Oblivion! XD

Back