• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2014
    rarely, though I tend to give nickname to pokemon I have EV-trained :l

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I always name the Pokemon on my main team, and any of the Pokedex fodder that I can think of a good name for. Most of the names are references to my favourite TV shows. For example, Palkia is named Doctor, cos he's Lord over Time. Mismagius is Willow, cos she looks witch-like, and Aerodactyl was named Mfanwy (and if you get that reference, you win 5 internets).

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I nicknamed the Pokemon in my Platinum game :'D But those horribly unoriginal names that you get from like trading with NPCs since I basically just took some letters from the base Pokemon's name and added an 'a' at the end. -w-;;
    Such as:
    Togekiss - Pia
    Porygon-Z - Gona
    Luxray - Nxa
    Rapidash - Taa
    Swampert - Kipa
    Gengar - Asta

Sometimes I added an 'er' instead of an 'a' but that is pretty much the extent of my creativity! :'D It made things easy to nickname though.

And in LeafGreen I named all my Pokemon after Ace Attorney characters. -w-

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I do :D. It feels weird not to nickname them. If it's a HM slave though, I won't.

Example Names:
    Growlithe - Wes
    Wartortle - Orion

(:

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    As said before, I still name them after presidents. The flying type is always Kennedy, the Electric type is always Hoover, and the Ground type is always Carter.

Princess Pichu

Art is a flash of beauty~
    Years
    I do, like almost all the time. All the ones I train are named. Except Ho-oh....D:
    I love nicknaming, I name my pokemon after characters most of the time.

Examples:
    Lucario = Sasuke: Wears black and blue, red eyes, and can learn copycat. I thought it was perfect.
    Vaporeon = Marth: Cuz they're both blue and pretty. :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Well... Not too often... I ALWAYS make it a point to nickname my starter its final form (like naming a mudkip swampert). Mostly, cuz it has some interesting effects when evolving... (like Congratulations! Your Typhlosion evolved into Quilava!) also, when i'm breeding Pokémon or natures, i usually name the desired ones by their natures (so i have a Tyranitar called adamant, and another called mild). Sometimes, when i'm really bored, i name them after my friends... :-/
    Oh yeah, sometimes i also give nicknames which are kinda similar to the original name. (Ziggy to a baby Zigzagoon, Dumbell to Beldum, Batty to Crobat etc...)

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    No, I prefer to just refer to them as they're actual name.
    As far as I know I've only done it about five times.

Scientist Davis

Paranormal Doctor
    Years
    I number my pokemon as experimental subjects to follow the overall theme of my character. I prefer to insert personality and story into a game which otherwise fits the protagonist as a flat, mute, historyless mass of pixels.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I don't name my Pokemon. I like them to be known as their species name, I.E Pikachu :3 Nicknames complicate things.

Years
    Usually not, but sometimes I'm in the mood to give silly nicknames to make the game more fun like giving Moonbeamz to a Muk and Puffjiggly to, well, you know.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I nickname all of my Pokemon. :D Some of them are quite good and imaginative in my opinion, some not so good however. :(

Crobat- Vlad
    Empoleon- Arc (as in arctic)
    Tangrowth- Medusa (use your imagination ;))
    Houndoom- Roxy (I know someone who had a dog called Roxy, so voila! xD)
    Ampharos- Amphy (you know, like the oe in Gold\Silver\crystal\HG\SS)

These are just a few examples, however. :P

Halfwit

Super Monk
    Years
    Always- usually I don't show much imagination when doing so, and just name them after random words or things that take my fancy q:
    sometimes there's a theme- in Diamond i went after the -cough- highly original theme of naming them after dieties from different religions.
    usually they're just deliberately silly.

There are a few set names i use, but they're not much better.
    nidorino is always Horrorshow, skuntank is Bewlay, flaaffy is Tesla, froslass is Deathglam, shedinja is Husk.. usually I named them on a whim some time ago and it just stuck D:

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
    Years
    • Seen today
    Well, when I accidentally catch the pokemon like you used to in the Safari Zone, I name it something like 'AAAAAAAAAAAA'
    But when I want to name a pokemon, I usually name it after a cartoon character or a food or a word someone's said. I have a Crobat named 'Enchilada' because someone said it when I was talking to them while playing Diamond.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I give my main Pokemon "standard" boy/girl names. Don't ask why or how I choose them. I will say that my female Meowth/Persian always gets the name "Lisa" which can be confusing because my trainer is usually also named Lisa :P

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    I hardly ever name my pokemon!

Especially for new generations--when new pokemon come out, if I automatically nickname them as soon as I get them, I don't ever remember what the pokemon's actual name is. It never helps me learn their names with new generations.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    All of my Pokemon are nicknamed, even the lone Magikarp that'll never see the light of day.

Some include:
    AAAAA the Oddish
    Maybeso the Wynaut
    Otokonoko the male Bellossom

etc

Back