• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronOnPokemon

"So the story continues!"
    Years
    This is a big topic. Do you nickname your Pokémon and if so what do you call them.

Me personally never nickname my Pokémon. I think it looks a lot better with there original names.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    This is a big topic. Do you nickname your Pokémon and if so what do you call them.

Me personally never nickname my Pokémon. I think it looks a lot better with there original names.

I dont nickname my Pokemon either.
    I agree with you AaronOnPokemon they look better with There Original Names.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    nicknames is just added content, dont have to take it seriously, usually the nicknames just mean something to you.
    i laugh though when i see stuff like sex used extrasensory, or your dad used double team

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    For me, it really depends. I named my Arbok "Lucifer" and my Gyarados "Hydra"
    I tend to only name pokemon that have some sort of relevence to my fanfiction.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I nickname some of them, but not all of them. After I EV-trained a Luxray I renamed it to Ortcel (Electron backwards without the N or the first E) so I didn't confuse it with my other non-trained Luxray. I also nicknamed my Whiscash "Bubba" because it seemed fitting, and my Rotom "Fork."
    Oh, the Heracross I got off of the GTS still has its original name...it's from Germany so its name is "Skaraborn" with the male symbol, I ended up liking that more than Heracross.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    I never nickname... unless im doing some challenge where im posting what happens, and i always come up with the same names, mainly Dijon and Mauve. but for normal playthroughs i just am not bothered.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Yeah ... I'm a girl, I name things. :P Besides, the default names are all in CAPS. I don't like that.
    I try to use something appropriate and obvious so I know what they are when I'm getting them out of the PC - I'll often turn the game off and forget about it for months, so I can't go off memory. ><

When I run out of deities and other mythological ... personalities (Morpheus the Hypno, Persephone the Venusaur, Loki the Ninetales) I go to historical figures and then just random words that seem appropriate. :P

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    i mean they are your pokemon =/ thats why you nickname them,
    i never nicknamed until i went competitive then i realized that nicknames are the one piece of your pokemon that is really you
    azelf=cakes4dayz
    heracross=punchbuggy
    magnezone=chicmagnet
    swampert=riptide
    shaymin=sephiroth
    gengar=UnderUrBed
    Plus i like being unique in my names, i don't call my cat "kitty" or something, i give it a name, just like my pokemon

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Oh, and I usually name my Hitmonchan "Jackie" and my Hitmonlee "Bruce." :P

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I have to name everything. I also have this weird instinct to name every Oddish I catch "Spoon". I don't know how that started, but I somehow just end up with an Oddish named Spoon on every game I own. I love naming Pokemon their French or German names. On my Emerald file, I have Arcko the Sceptile. Arcko is French for Treecko, but the French name for Sceptile is Jungko if I recall. Doesn't sound as appealing. Lektrobal the Electrode (can't remember if it's Voltorb or Electrode's German name though) and Simsala the Alakazam are also nice. But sometimes I go with stupid names, like SuperIgloo the Aggron. I usually just name a Pokemon the first thing that comes to mind though.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I'll rename a Pokemon if it turns out the name I chose isn't fun to yell out in my head when I'm encouraging it to beat another 'mon to a pulp. :P

I had a Nidoking that had some appropriate, gender-specific name to differentiate him from my Nidorina, but it was annoying and hard to pronounce, so now his name is "Boy." XD
    My three-headed Dodrio is "Ego" - "Id" was too short and "Superego" was too long. ^^;

The starter always gets an easy, cutesy name if I plan on using it, though. Liz, Sparky, Bubbles.

Lektrobal the Electrode (can't remember if it's Voltorb or Electrode's German name though) and Simsala the Alakazam are also nice.

Nahaha, like sim sim sala bim?

Last edited:

Frozzd

"Traditional"
    Years
    I don't nickname my Pokemon, unless they look hilarious and I need to give them a comedic name. Usually, however, I like Nintendo's clever names for them.

Although I can't help laughing when I battle over Wi-Fi and I run into people who nickname their Blastoise "Condom" and have it learn "Protect" then overuse the move until it "fails."

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Although I can't help laughing when I battle over Wi-Fi and I run into people who nickname their Blastoise "Condom" and have it learn "Protect" then overuse the move until it "fails."

Admit it.

Those people are you, aren't they. :P

Years
    I used to nickname them all the time, and I usually "borrowed" nicknames that anime characters gave their Pokemon of that same species, or made up something in that style on my own. Since then, I've only nicknamed them out of boredom, but I keep them PG.

Years
    i love nicknaming my pokemon, every pokemon i train has to be nicknamed. i mean some of the names of pokemon are cool but i'd prefer to give my pokemon names that i come up with. i guess i just wanna feel like my pokemon are special in their own way. i named my aerodactyl "Fidget" (i have no idea why i just liked the way it sounded lol)

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    Every pokemon that I am going to put into my party has to be nicknamed.

The names I pick are typically the first ones that come to mind when I see the pokemon, such as my Butterfree (Paprika) and my Beedrill (Oracle). Those nicknames are exclusive only to those two pokemon, however. If I were to ever catch a different Caterpie -> Weedle -> Butterfree, I wouldn't automatically name it Paprika again, since it's not the same pokemon.

Dawn Rules

<--- Dawn Strong, Smart & Sexy
    Years
    I Only nickname pokemon if I am using that pokemon in training, I usually nickname Totodile Toto or Croco Bulbasaur Saur and my Lvl 100 Armaldo on Emerald is nicknamed Claw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back